Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ever see the value of the 350Z improving?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:37 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Do you ever see the value of the 350Z improving?

I think it's more than a fair assessment to say that the value of the 350 has dropped in the last few years. You can find an 03, in decent condition, for what, like 3-5K? That drop has opened the door to newer and younger enthusiasts, which keeps interest in the platform; but on the other side of the coin, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a shitty eBay build. That's not to say that there aren't hundreds (if not thousands) of extremely well built Zs, as well as spotless 100% OEM examples. I'm also not ******* on Z's built on a budge, an enthusiast can be an enthusiast, regardless of budge IMO.

I found these figures listed on a post on here:

"350Z Year - U.S. Sales
2002 13,253
2003 36,728
2004 30,690
2005 27,278
2006 24,635
2007 18,957
2008 10,337
That's a grand total of 161,878 350z's. I heard there are a total of around 1606 NISMO's."

I found these on another site.
240Z, years 69-73:
1969 = 3
1970 = 17,005
1971 = 40,219
1972 = 60,025
1973 = 51,332
------ Total 168,584

US = 148,115

This comes back to the question. The value of clean (especially un-modified) first generation Z's (70-78) has been climbing steadily over the last few years. With relatively close production numbers, do you think we'll eventually get to a point where unmolested 350's and/or those that are modified and well taken care of will gain in value?

I know aftermarket parts seldom, if ever, add monetary value to a car, I just thought it would be interesting to add them into the conversation.

Happy 4th of July, bitches

Last edited by abarclay; 07-02-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

" I heard there are a total of around 1606 NISMO's"

It was below 1600 last time I checked. Eventually the car will even out, yes. Especially so as the kids buying them now destroy them. The Nismo will even out much higher, and likely sooner.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Colorado04Vert

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably not. It's honestly " just a nissan"
Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, and no.

No because it's only getting older. But yes because like miata and 240's which were practically worthless until they because cool because of YouTube or one successful race build booked to almost double their original value over night. God luck finding a miata under 100k for less than 7k right now thanks to haggard garage lol

I can see the Z once becoming a popular cheap kids car which then gains credibility and popularity again. Just like the housing market it's dropping and then will hit rock bottom and then go right back up.

But to be honest as well on forums like this one the prices people expct or say cars are worth are way off of reality. I see people posting 3k or 5k mint 350's left and right but in the real world im still seeing constant $8k... $10k... Solid well take care of 04's going for $15k still and selling.

Like I said you can't even find a junk 240 or miata for less than 3k right now unless you hunt. No way a 350 will ever sell below those old a** ages limited platforms. Especially for how solid and much potential the Z chassis has to offer.

So you have to take into account the forum price talks, vs the rices people are actually paying and people knowing they aren't $1k cars like some people say they are. Not sayin they are grand collections but let's be real and sift through some of the BS and some grains of salt here too.

Even at auctions across the country a totaled Z is on average taking in $2,700... FI totaled Z even if half the FI parts are crap people are still paying like $10k for these things.

But yes, I think it will jump but never back into what it was new. But no I don't think in will be tomorrow. I think they will float around $4-$6k cars for a long while. At least for the next decade. Even more so if Nissan stops producing them which probably won't happen but you never know.

My $0.02 anyways.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Colorado04Vert

Originally Posted by CK_32
But to be honest as well on forums like this one the prices people expct or say cars are worth are way off of reality. I see people posting 3k or 5k mint 350's left and right but in the real world im still seeing constant $8k... $10k... Solid well take care of 04's going for $15k still and selling.
They wanted $11k for my 04 a month ago. I paid $8k. It's clean. Got some paint blemishes, interior is great, everything works.

But I have a buddy who bought one about a year ago.. Think it was a red 04 or something there other, paid $3500, only had 110k on it or so and needed a clutch.

But then like you said. You still see 04's going for $15k, and as long as people pay it.. It'll sell for that..

It's kind of like the 03/04 Mustang Cobra( I was a mustang guy for a while) people STILL ask over $20k for those cars. Like I get it.. I know they are fast and all that nonsense, but I can't fathom paying $21k for an 04.. 12 year old, 400horsepower supercharged mustang, that has **** tastic interior... When I can go buy a 400 horsepower NA 2012 mustang that may still have a warranty and a WAY more superior interior for the same exact price.

I dont think the 350z will " bottom out" perse and just be a clapped out $3000 car anybody can get. But even if my car was stock, immaculate, low miles, etc.. I dont see in 10-15 year me even selling it for $15k

The 350z will never be a " supra" type of collectible
Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

As someone who is currently in the market to sell a 350, let me tell you, it has been a pain in the ***.

About a year ago, i was in the market to buy my second z, couldnt find ANY solid clean Z in manual to save my life. Ended up spending 10k for an 03 touring with 100k miles on it. Over spent but to be honest, i was looking for a clean example and knew that a nice one commanded a nice price.

Fast forward to today. 2k miles later, yes it was hardly driven in that time. I am selling it. Only asking 8.5k and so far the BEST offer ive had for it was 7k and the buyer backed out. Been constantly getting offers like 5k and such.

What really bothers me is, i see salvage, high mileage, 150k+ miles, sells for 5-6k all day long. It seems the sweet price range is around there. And the condition of the car doesnt really factor into price.

I honestly am only selling to make room for a new car, but at this rate, it seems ill be sitting on cash and keeping the 350z rather than sitting in a new car.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:11 PM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Colorado04Vert
They wanted $11k for my 04 a month ago. I paid $8k. It's clean. Got some paint blemishes, interior is great, everything works.

But I have a buddy who bought one about a year ago.. Think it was a red 04 or something there other, paid $3500, only had 110k on it or so and needed a clutch.

But then like you said. You still see 04's going for $15k, and as long as people pay it.. It'll sell for that..

It's kind of like the 03/04 Mustang Cobra( I was a mustang guy for a while) people STILL ask over $20k for those cars. Like I get it.. I know they are fast and all that nonsense, but I can't fathom paying $21k for an 04.. 12 year old, 400horsepower supercharged mustang, that has **** tastic interior... When I can go buy a 400 horsepower NA 2012 mustang that may still have a warranty and a WAY more superior interior for the same exact price.

I dont think the 350z will " bottom out" perse and just be a clapped out $3000 car anybody can get. But even if my car was stock, immaculate, low miles, etc.. I dont see in 10-15 year me even selling it for $15k

The 350z will never be a " supra" type of collectible
Speaking of termis, i too am a mustang boy, and i have to say, the 03/04 are still the most potent mustang to date. They came with irs, which many wanted since the 80s. Also the engine are hand built. Swap a kenbell in and youre looking at a 700whp car for under 25k. You cant do that with the newer mustang. Those engines are solid in the cobra.

Yea the interior sucks, but what mustang has ever had good interior? If youre looking at a cobra, chances are youre looking at a street monster, not a comfortable mustang.

Personally for me, i would pay 20k for the cobra only because i know that with 5k or so, i can beat 90% of the cars on the streets. Not other car, that i can think of, offers that kind of performance for such little mods.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope, couldn't sell my nismo for 16K.

They are just a car, not rare or special enough to ever go up in value. Sadly they've been treated like crap by most current owners and the market is flooded with poor quality examples for cheap. There's always the rare exception of one that was never driven and some lunatic buyer who will pay an irrational price, but that's by far the exception, not the rule.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Colorado04Vert

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Speaking of termis, i too am a mustang boy, and i have to say, the 03/04 are still the most potent mustang to date. They came with irs, which many wanted since the 80s. Also the engine are hand built. Swap a kenbell in and youre looking at a 700whp car for under 25k. You cant do that with the newer mustang. Those engines are solid in the cobra.

Yea the interior sucks, but what mustang has ever had good interior? If youre looking at a cobra, chances are youre looking at a street monster, not a comfortable mustang.

Personally for me, i would pay 20k for the cobra only because i know that with 5k or so, i can beat 90% of the cars on the streets. Not other car, that i can think of, offers that kind of performance for such little mods.
Oh I agree. I've had 12 from Foxes, Sn95's, New Edges, S197's.

Don't get me wrong the termi is a sick car.. BUT.. It's still a 14 year old mustang.

It's not comfortableto drive ( had 2 04's), they creak and rattle, interior is shitty, HATE the shifter position. I agree with a monster for 25k, but it's an uncomfortable monster. Sure it had IRS, but honestly those cars never really handled well.

I know the Silver Satin and Comp Orange sell high, like I know there are a couple comp orange convertibles that have sold for 29k recently. There's no way I'd pay 30k for a 14 year old mustang. No way in hell. Especially when the 07-09 GT500's are selling for the same price, and have WAY updated more comfortable interior and 100 more horsepower.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Colorado04Vert

What I will say about this car ( that won't really add to the selling price)

For an under $10k car. It's a **** ton of bang for the buck " fun wise" well maybe not everywhere.. Like Florida, New Mexico, Texas, etc.. Wide open roads with long straight aways maybe not as fun.

But where I live in Colorado where we have long windy mountain roads. For less than 10k.. With what the car offers. Its a great < $10k car
Old 07-02-2016, 12:32 PM
turboed350z

Whats weird is. Ive also in the market for a g35 and i sell them well above my asking price with 20k+ miles than mine.

When i was looking a while back, the g35 and 350z price seem to be hand in hand, but as of right now, g35 seems to fetch more in my area than the 350z.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:34 PM
turboed350z

Oh I agree. I've had 12 from Foxes, Sn95's, New Edges, S197's.

Don't get me wrong the termi is a sick car.. BUT.. It's still a 14 year old mustang.

It's not comfortableto drive ( had 2 04's), they creak and rattle, interior is shitty, HATE the shifter position. I agree with a monster for 25k, but it's an uncomfortable monster. Sure it had IRS, but honestly those cars never really handled well.

I know the Silver Satin and Comp Orange sell high, like I know there are a couple comp orange convertibles that have sold for 29k recently. There's no way I'd pay 30k for a 14 year old mustang. No way in hell. Especially when the 07-09 GT500's are selling for the same price, and have WAY updated more comfortable interior and 100 more horsepower.
The 07-09 gt500 were kinda a joke to be honest. You can pick them up for 30k because theyre like the 350z DE verion of the gt500. The 10+ are what people want, myself included, but still at 50k+ i rather a z06.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Colorado04Vert

Originally Posted by turboed350z
The 07-09 gt500 were kinda a joke to be honest. You can pick them up for 30k because theyre like the 350z DE verion of the gt500. The 10+ are what people want, myself included, but still at 50k+ i rather a z06.
100% agree with you.

But damnit I love my DE though! haha.

Honestly I don't think the price should go up on the 350z. I think at the ~$10k price range it's one of the better bang for your buck cars.

At the ~$15-$20k level. You start putting putting it into the Terminator Cobra/C5Z categories, and thats where it starts falling way behind

At the ~$10k level it's at the Mach 1/Base C5 ('99ish) level where it belongs. If I wanted to spend $20k on a toy last month when I was shopping. I can guarantee you. I wouldn't own the 350z right now

Last edited by Colorado04Vert; 07-02-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:54 PM
turboed350z

100% agree with you.

But damnit I love my DE though! haha.

Honestly I don't think the price should go up on the 350z. I think at the ~$10k price range it's one of the better bang for your buck cars.

At the ~$15-$20k level. You start putting putting it into the Terminator Cobra/C5Z categories, and thats where it starts falling way behind

At the ~$10k level it's at the Mach 1/Base C5 ('99ish) level where it belongs. If I wanted to spend $20k on a toy last month when I was shopping. I can guarantee you. I wouldn't own the 350z right now
I agree. 8-10kis the perfect price range, however, market seems to be around 5kish is more likely. Ill updated everyone when mine sells if it sells haha
Old 07-02-2016, 01:26 PM
CK_32

Anyone else notice the trend here tho?

All the people speaking of price are owners and sellers. I was a buyer not even 6 months again and know what the prices are. Selling and buying are 2 totally different worlds. We are owners from the inside looking out.

Which is why we devalue the car so much. We already have one, pft. Take it or leave it. But remember how bad you wanted one when you wanted one. When you didn't have one already.

Like I said before I've gotten $8k offers with my wrecked Z in my driveway. We had a neighborhood garage sale when I first brought it home and we had more guys and kids come to look and ask about my car than the stuff we had for sale.

People were literally saying "man this was my dream car it hurts me to see it in the condition" or just "man I want a Z so badly".

It does have fans and buyers but remember we have lost the big bushy eyes of owning them. That want thrill is gone so has the amount we want and would pay for one now. Just like the girl of your dreams or never thought you would get. When you get the girl, you realize they aren't untouchable and get boring like anyone else. So since yu have/had her you don't want it as bad as before you didn't....

And the supra, same thing as I said before is only the "must have" because we haven't had it. It's no longer made, and it's only cool because dudes have done some crazy things with them but only after about $20k more into the car to make it that 7 second monster.

Supras stock aren't much better than stock Z's. Hell my buddy at work had a MK2 2j US supra and sad basically what I'm saying now. He wanted to build it like we all would. Bought one, drove it, got use to and over it. Then was bored of it and had a hard time selling it.

I think he even had a hard time selling it for like $10-15k or something like that with a 2j.... It was clean too. Same with a retired guy who use to come in with a RX7 FD. I remember willng to pay and only seeing a few for $18k+ for a while, hell even just rolling shells were going for $10k.... He had a had time selling it at $9k... Mint condition too. He too was just over it and lost the new car bug. I wanted it but was broke AF at the time still making just about min wage or else I would be on a RX7 forum right now.... Lol

Just because you can't sell it over night for $12k doesn't mean it's not worth it. The used car market is flooded. But our cars have value. We just have to remember were looking out, not in.

I'm sure we could all find cheap as hell Porsches, lambos and jags but doesn't mean we woul touch them or buy them. But some older ones in good condition are worth a lot but sit for years before a buyer comes for it.

I had the same problem with my 02 GT pony. I listed it as low as $2k for a while. Because it didn't sell over night like I expected so I figured man maybe it's not worth anything.

Then said screw it after seeing the junk people had listed for $2-4k more than mine. I'm talkig people wanted $6k for a junk 215k A/T 00 camery lol

So I set it at $7k and sure it sat. But I sold it for $6,200 to a real mustang buyer. Took a while but I got its value for it. Same with my 08 CBR 600 and my R1 when I sold those.

I feel many guys posting in are forgetting this. Especially when then laugh at kids paying full price for a Z. We laugh at oh I could have paid $100 for that. When we forget it's not actually like that from the outside looking in and these cars aren't as dirt cheap as before.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:34 PM
CK_32

Wow didn't realize it was that long haha

TLDR; our value is lower than people outside wanting in. The honey moon phase is gone. But our low expectations of the outside doesn't make it true. Actually quite the opposite. Because as in almost everything the insiders always pay and value much less than the outsiders wanting in.

Over night sales done dictate the value. Especially in a flooded economy and used car market.

Aka these cars are worth a lot more than some give credit.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 PM
turboed350z

Well, my car has been sitting for over 2 months now... asking price is 8.5k with nismo exhaust. Eibach prokit and thats pretty much the only mods the car has.

Sooo yea.. havent found a serious buyer yet. Just saying...
Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 PM
CK_32

What part of AZ? Cause I bet if you were in OC and it's in solid condition. That would be gone in a few weeks if not a couple months.

Like I said mines in good condition. But smashed and just about bone stock and I've gotten offers lol
Old 07-04-2016, 02:14 PM
turboed350z

Offered 7k yet again.

Ill probably end up selling it for 7k.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:36 PM
CK_32

Hold out. Bump them up to $7,200. If they offered $7k you can get $7,200.

But yea I noticed the sweet spot for Z offers seems to be the $7-8k range.