Sponsored by:

Koyo Radiator Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:48 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Koyo Radiator Experience

Hey Guys,

So I recently bought my new Koyo HV 36mm version. I decided to install it myself. So the removal of the old radiator was pretty straight forward. I was able to get the new koyo radiator in but much fanagling to get it in was necessary.

I had to remove the coolant reservoir bracket as it was getting in the way and also the pop charger heat shield along with ac line screw so hoses would move a bit. This so as to not damage the a/c condenser fins when throwing in the radiator. I was able to get it in within an hour and a few minutes total including removal of old equipment.

Note: The rubber stops on the bottom allow to fit the radiator without cutting, but you'll need an assistant to hold the ac condenser up as you pop the ac condsenser metal tabs into radiator tab holes. I used a long screw driver to do this so you don't jam your fingers. Then you have to carefully pop the rubber stops from the radiator as your assistant is holding the rad into the designated holes in radiator frame.

Now, I had a mishimoto fan assembly. This is where the nightmare begun. The fan went in with some persuasion, BUT:

The fan screw holes don't line up with radiator holes. The rad piping is way to elongated and too thick which causes the screw holes to misalign. This next part took me forever until dark to finish.

So...I had to use a dremel to cut through both edges of the fan shroud to get the damn thing to fit. I was able to screw it in just enough where the bottom fan tabs are still in the rad holes, but the bottom fan tabs are not sitting firmly on the radiator tab holes. They are slightly elevated , but as long as the fan shroud doesn't sway back and forth, I'm fine with that. But if you decide to go with this combo rad and fan shroud, be prepared to fabricate.

After this, I screwed everything back in along with upper and lower hoses. The upper rad hose was the next fiasco I had to deal with. I know you have to cut the upper hose, but what the hell were they thinking when they designed the upper portion of the koyo rad. The radiator hose connection is too damn thick for this hose. I could barely get the clip/clamp on the hose after putting it in place. I did and now the hose won't come out to readjust as there is a kink in it. I broke one of the tabs on the clip in the process of readjusting, so now I'm stuck with this:

So my install is complete, technically, except for this portion. My question is, can I leave the kink there without any issues, or will it cause coolant flow issues? I mean the hose clip/clamp is on there. I cannot remove it with anything other than cutting it off. Anybody experience this before when installing a koyo? Was I supposed to get an aftermarket hose for this? Let me know if anyone has suggestions. Hopefully this may bring some light to people looking to install the koyo and things to watch out for as well. Thanks!

Last edited by dragon11689; 08-15-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:21 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

You can get away with it sure. But being most rad failures or leaks are due to old crusty and stressed hoses. That will pop over time especially now that will be a flow focus point and increase pressure into that section and small pressure peak across the whole system. maybe 1psi if that nothing to worry about system wise. But that will wear that hose faster.

Assuming the fibers and compound hasn't already been stretched or stressed in that section already.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:51 PM
dragon11689

Originally Posted by CK_32
You can get away with it sure. But being most rad failures or leaks are due to old crusty and stressed hoses. That will pop over time especially now that will be a flow focus point and increase pressure into that section and small pressure peak across the whole system. maybe 1psi if that nothing to worry about system wise. But that will wear that hose faster.

Assuming the fibers and compound hasn't already been stretched or stressed in that section already.
I'm sure they have been stressed to a certain point since the Z is at the 120k mark. What you mentioned makes sense and I probably should be looking to replace those anyway. I'm going to have to cut the clamp off carefully since there's no way to pull it off. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:39 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon11689
I'm sure they have been stressed to a certain point since the Z is at the 120k mark. What you mentioned makes sense and I probably should be looking to replace those anyway. I'm going to have to cut the clamp off carefully since there's no way to pull it off. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Very carefully, cut through that clamp with a dremel, it's okay if you cut through the hose a little bit if you're replacing them. Replace with new clamps of course
Old 08-19-2016, 05:16 AM
dragon11689

Originally Posted by QuintonC
Very carefully, cut through that clamp with a dremel, it's okay if you cut through the hose a little bit if you're replacing them. Replace with new clamps of course
Yeah I'm going to very steadily graze it with the dremel. But ultimately, I think I'm going to grab some gates hose replacements for upper and lower hoses.

Anyone know if Koyo radiator HV version is supposed to have the rad cap on the passenger side as opposed to the driver's side which is the opposite of the factory radiator? The reservoir hose is actually coming up and around instead of straight across like its supposed to. I don't think it will cause any issues but still looks weird.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 PM
dragon11689

Update: I dremeled out the stupid clamp and went with aftermarket screw type clamps which are easier to put on and got the gates hoses. Fits like a champ. I had to do some more fabricating to the bottom of the mishi fan for the lower hose to fit on properly. The bleeding of the system was a huge pain in the ***. Whatever you do, don't pour coolant in without the bleeder valve open on the heater core. This painful mistake cost me hours of bleeding air out of the system.

Anyhow, its all done and Z is out and about. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Hopefully I can point you away from the mistakes that I did if I were to do it over. Thanks for all who commented.