Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Caught in a snow storm!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:35 AM
ZRated03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Caught in a snow storm!

I don't know how a snow storm slipped by me, but I didn't even see it coming. I show up to work around 10pm (I work 3rd shift) and to my suprise.. some chatter is going on about a snow storm! So I'm like.. 'F***, I drove the Z to work'.. sure enough, instead of it starting around 5am like it was apparently suppose to? it starts at 1am. I walk out of work at 6:30 and theres about 1-2 inchs of snow on my car. Nothin I could do but drive home..

Even if you start in 2nd, this thing is a sled lol. Alot of people say the tires suck on dry pavement.. I don't think their too bad when their cold on the dry pavement, but in the snow? lol Man.. this is their reaction to snow.

The Z IS somewhat driveable on the white stuff (altho it was easier driving when the roads were iced over after a day of melting lol), the highway was fine at 40 or so since it was mostly melted away, but once I took my exit to find half-a** plowed streets? It was time to put on my dancin shoes lol, 12-20MPH all the way home, had a cop follow me the entire way, he probably had the accident report already written up but he can keep it.. The SBT-Z (super black track) is home safe and sound... and parked somewhat crooked on my hilled driveway lol

Moral of the story? Z + Snow + Factory Rubber =

Last edited by ZRated03; 02-18-2004 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Z33Concept

Yea them Potenzas really suck in snow. I was laughin hella hard when u said im go have to put on my dancin shoes lol lol.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:13 AM
BigBadBuford

The same thing happened to me last year. I was out getting a coffee with a friend and it started snowing. It wasn't coming down too bad but I wanted to get the Z home but my friend didn't want to leave for a little while. Finally after telling her for about an hour how bad the Z was in the snow I finally left, there was only a dusting but the Z didn't want to go in a straight line. I've driven other RWD cars in the snow including big block musclecars and I never had this much trouble. Luckily after driving 15 mph the entire way home I made it safe and sound.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:31 AM
ZRated03

Yeah I wasn't too impressed w/ the potenza's in the snow. I too have drivin other RWD cars in winter conditions and none were as tricky. Its all in the tires tho. VDC came on once.. slip was there afew times, both effective but if you just cruise in 2nd @ 15MPH your all set. I hit 21 off the highway once but was quickly reminded to slow down when the potenza's started to sing 'Shake Ya A**' by Mystikal LoL
Old 02-18-2004, 08:47 AM
ajax77799

My wife was against me getting my Z from the beginning, telling me it was a death-machine, etc...
After a month of my assurances about how safe the car was,
I finally got it- on the FIRST DAY I had it, I took her out to dinner
that night, she was starting to like the car.. When we finished eating, it turns out
there was an unexpected snow, basically a dusting- The car
was like a toboggan- I drove the 15 miles home doing about
12 miles an hour- all my hard work shot to hell, she's totally
paranoid about the car again, oh well. BTW, I drove an '89
Mustang GT rear drive for 5 years and while it wasn't so good
in the snow, it was AWD compared to the Z!! All that being said,
I don't give a crap, I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, the Z sucks in snow with stock tires. Even snow tires dont help that much.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why you should all move to warmer climates. we had a blizzard the other day, it flurried in the northern mountains.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:31 AM
tbcz

Originally posted by Reggi914
Sorry Reggi, but I strongly disagree. They make an enormous difference. With Blizzaks, I found the Z to be as driveable as any FWD all-season shod car I have driven. Last winter I passed several stuck front-wheelers in a bad storm. Blizzaks rule.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:49 AM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had mine out in the snow (an inch or so) with Falken FK451s which aren't even snow tires and it was not that bad. I could only give it a little gas but it was still very drivable. I am guessing that if I had legit snow tires I would have gotten around alot better.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:36 AM
meeno

its all the tires

FWD vs AWD vs RWD doesnt matter when braking, turning etc. Only in acceleration
Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 PM
grifferjr

Originally posted by meeno
its all the tires

FWD vs AWD vs RWD doesnt matter when braking, turning etc. Only in acceleration
i cant agree more. those 040's are not only the crappiest things when dry, they arent even worth their weight in the snow. all you have to do is look at the inner row of tread and see how big those blocks are. we had a storm here and i swear i was getting passed by people on their bikes, not motorcycles, but schwinns. everytime i touched the gas the *** end came around to the right just cause of the simple crown in the road. in comparison, the guy up the street has a Z with winter rubber on it and he handles great. Overall the car itself is great in the snow. I read somewhere that the cars weight is distributed pretty evenly something like 53%up front and 47% in the rear. I even tried adding weight in the hatch, about 135 pounds, and that only helped them crappy tires a little. lesson learned, next year gonna buy some blizzaks.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:45 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just let out some air in the back tires and drop 200 pounds of free weights in the back and it drives MUCH better in the snow.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Reggi914
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and went home in a snowstorm(7inches). These tires are great in the snow but not ice. I was drifting in the parking lot. Whoa! My coworkers knew how my Z really sucked in snow. Previous yr had OEM tires I couldnt get out of the parking lot with 6inches of snow! I try not to drive when it gets bad. But I dont have to worry when I get caught of guard with the white stuff.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:16 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by tbcz
Sorry Reggi, but I strongly disagree. They make an enormous difference. With Blizzaks, I found the Z to be as driveable as any FWD all-season shod car I have driven. Last winter I passed several stuck front-wheelers in a bad storm. Blizzaks rule.
I'd have to agree with you there...it's all about the tires. I put four Blizzak LM-22's on my Z for the winter, and they've been a major life-saver. Got caught in a snowstorm just before Christmas, and the Blizzaks saved me from skidding into a ditch at least 5 or 6 times. I actually thought my Z with the Blizzaks handled better in the snow than my old FWD '99 Integra.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:55 PM
VQ35DES

what sizes are you guys using for those blizzaks?

isnt the differential a weak point too?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:01 PM
ZRated03

I was lookin into getting some blizzaks before winter started, but I figure.. 'I'll just drive my truck in the snow' ..who knew I'd get caught in a storm lol. How much did the blizzaks run ya anyway?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:41 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fo shizzle my Nizzle do Blizzaks really Wizzle?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by ZRated03
I was lookin into getting some blizzaks before winter started, but I figure.. 'I'll just drive my truck in the snow' ..who knew I'd get caught in a storm lol. How much did the blizzaks run ya anyway?
Check your PM box...

Fo shizzle my Nizzle do Blizzaks really Wizzle?
Absolizzle
Old 02-19-2004, 07:34 PM
JeepRage

Originally posted by CelticPride2
Check your PM box...

Absolizzle
I'm interested too. I'm a MA local, and I couldnt even move my car in my driveway yesterday with the 1.5" dusting we had. Ive been better in 5"s of snow before. I think it was just the type of snow that was awful for me this time around.

What size and where did you get them? (price?)

Thanks, Hall
Old 02-19-2004, 08:14 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by JeepRage
I'm interested too. I'm a MA local, and I couldnt even move my car in my driveway yesterday with the 1.5" dusting we had. Ive been better in 5"s of snow before. I think it was just the type of snow that was awful for me this time around.

What size and where did you get them? (price?)

Thanks, Hall
There's a PM in your box, too...I've got 17-inch wheels.

Quick Reply: Caught in a snow storm!