Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1st timer track day - A few questions - thanks :-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM
stickchopper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st timer track day - A few questions - thanks :-)

Hi everyone -

I'm a relatively new owner. 2003 350Z, 6mt. 108K, no mods.

I live in Albuquerque and my local track, Race Sandia, is having open track days this summer. One this Saturday in fact. It's a time attack, here's the cut and paste info

$12 per run (A run consists of a warm up lap, 3 timed laps and a cool down lap)
Or a 5 run pack for $50
$5 for additional spectators/crew
Loaner helmets are available
No experience, no problem! This event is to run your car or bike, have fun and see how FAST you can go!

I'm thinking about headed out , I thinking it would be a total blast. I'm not so worried about tires. Maybe my original transmission tho, and more importantly and oil cooler issues.

What do you all say to this ? Will some track laps have the potential to damage anything, even if driven hard by a newbie?

Thanks. Now back to watching videos from Goodwood Racing :-)
Old 05-04-2017, 07:58 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Since I've instructed at Sandia, I can tell you it's not the easiest circuit to get started on. The 1/4 mile oval that makes up part of the track is not problem, but the rest of this road racing track (depending on the configuration) is tight and there's very little runoff area. The biggest issue (as always) will likely be brakes. A couple of questions:

-How long has it been since you bled your brakes and used fresh DOT4 fluid?
-What kind of brake package do you have on your Z?
-What's the condition of your pads and rotors?
-What kind of tires are on your Z and what kind of condition are they in?

Sandia is not a track that'll allow the Z to stretch it's legs much. Mostly 2-4 gear at most. But there's plenty of places to get into trouble, with some tire walls right at the edge of the track. I'd suggest you go and WATCH if you've never been to the track before. Lots to learn and plenty to damage if you make a mistake.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 PM
zwei_the_c
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Dkumura's suggestion to spectate first, is a wise choice.

I believe this is the course track map.

Last edited by zwei_the_c; 05-04-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:17 AM
stickchopper

I just bought the Z in January, one owner with all service records

Enthusiast package, so stock brakes and rotors. Not brembos, not slotted or vented. The mileage on the brake servicing looks wrong. But when I checked when I bought the car there was 80% left in front, 70% in the rears. The reciept for the brake job doesnt show bleed and replace fluid. So that's not so great :-)

previous owner put on inexpensive Nexen 672's about 12,000 miles ago. Lots of life left but obviously cheap tires.

Owner tooled around Reno Nevada in the car. I mean, a 2003 with the orginal clutch and transmission ? They're out there, and on this board, but not many :-)

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go out on Sunday morning and hang out.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:17 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Just get out there man.

Be safe, don't be ashamed to run with the slower class. And expect to brake or spin off at least a few times. If not win win.

The one thing about track days that get some people into trouble that I've seen. Is don't be afraid to admit how slow you are, and don't try to compete or keep up with faster guys.

And again expect things to break. So when they do you're ready.

I'd suggest fresh tires, brake pads (preferable street/track) and all new fluids. Oil, water, power steering and brake fluid.

But for the most part just go out there and try it. That's the biggest step.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 AM
stickchopper

Seriously ??

New tires, new pads, replace ALL my fluids for 5 laps at a track ?

I understand your position, but that's not gonna happen..

So either more people here chime in and say " Yes, that's what you need to do ' Or " no, that's not really necessary"
Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Here's the problem: with your Enthusiast model, it came equipped with the smallest set of disc brakes the Z33 ever came equipped with. Fine for the street, but the rear brakes (in particular) will wear quickly. The other issue is the brake fluid- it's likely NEVER been changed or bled, so it will overheat and cause your brake pedal to go all soft and squishy in short order.

The other thing is that this isn't a normal track day, with driving exercises and a guided tour of the track. It's five laps at the best speed you can manage, and I'll tell you right now, the Z will feel GOOD. You can tell yourself to take it easy- right up to the point you come around a tight corner and find the brakes just AREN'T THERE. Some tracks you can recover from this with just a bit of dust on the flanks, but not Sandia.

BTW- you don't want fresh tires at the track- in many cases the tread will be abraded by the g-forces and begin chunking. Likewise for fresh brake pads that have not been bedded-in properly. Glaze is not your friend... In any case, I recommend you go to the track and you'll likely see other humptie cars being broken or crashed while you scope out what this is all about. There's plenty of time this summer to get out and experience your Z on the track. You'll be amazed and I hope you report back on what you've seen and experienced. But first, do some research on bleeding brakes the right way and getting them in better shape.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM
stickchopper

Thank you. Very much appreciated..
Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM
icer5160

Received 461 Likes on 354 Posts

As dkmura recommended. Brakes will be your biggest enemy. Without a doubt, do a full fluid replacement with DOT4. You should be able to get by "ok" since these are only 5 lap heats/sessions. Some track brake pads are also recommended. Since you're a track newbie, you will most likely reach your own limits on the track before you reach the Z's limits.

My simple advice, don't push beyond what you feel comfortable with until you really "know the course."

The only other area of concern I can think of is coolant and oil temperatures. Seeing as you're only doing 5 laps, this might not be an issue, but I'm not familiar with this track/course so I can't say with a certainty. I do know the VQ35DE can easily overheat in prolonged WoT situations and I have personally witnessed the base model brakes (with upgraded pads/rotors) on a 2007 350Z overheat after only 10-15 minutes of hard use at Laguna Seca. Note that the 2007 base model brakes are an improvement over the 03' brakes you have.

Just my 2c...
Good Luck and Have fun!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

man those are cheap track prices! i wish they were that cheap here. I know at Thompson speedway in new england they have $150 for 5 (20 min) hot laps if u run with SCCA.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM
stickchopper

dk, sent you a pm. thank you
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Bleed brakes, show up and drive. 3 lap sessions , you will hardly even learn how to drive , not really know the track at days end.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:32 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Bleed brakes, show up and drive. 3 lap sessions , you will hardly even learn how to drive , not really know the track at days end.
The format is part of the problem. Three lap sessions at Sandia mean most novices will overuse their brakes while they attempt to learn the layout. Then the Z will sit and the standard brakes will heat soak with no airflow until the next session. When the brakes get soft the next session, it could be at one of the fast turns that don't allow any error. And when I say there's no room for runoff on certain turns, I mean exactly that!

Sandia is a circuit that I hold two (class) lap records at. Even in a fully-prepped racecar, it's dicey. Other tracks in the Rocky Mountain region are more in line with what club racing circuits are like, but Sandia was originally intended to run karts at. Even some of the kart related stories I heard at this track are hair-raising...