Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

03 350z questions

Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM
stitchz33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 350z questions

finally got the car iv wanted for 5 years now, have had it for 4 or 5 months now an have some questions, an not a lack of looking for myself, been forum surfing for months an months, lot of great info but iv noticed a lot was years an years old an some mixed answers, done little work so far wheels tires intake an y pipe back agency power, drilled slotted with nice pads, all maintanced i went through new valve covers all leaks have been taken care of, i do have a oil catch can i put together works very nice. but i have few questions to where im going next, not 100% im in the right posting area but here is my questions any personal advice thanks-

1-needing a new clutch soon, my options? i can have flywheel redone an go with jus clutch kit wich would be cheaper, but it is my daily and time to send flywheel an get it back, ima most likely need all jus to get it done in a day. and im aware of ther flywheel lighten an not some tend to be loud, the current clutch i have is silent an i love it, but its time for new clutch, any recommendatinos? id go with oem but i do drive the heck an enjoy the car, that being said my options? is the nismo kit differnt? worth getting it? or aftermarket? and if anyone is running stock flywheel with another kit like to know how people like them, not 100% what clutch is in it considering miles so unknown till i get to it

2-plenum spacer?? iv looked an everything an im pretty sure ima get the 5/16 spacer but there is 2-3 differnt kits an not sure the differences in them, this being said too iv herd yes may be pointless without a tune but is it NEEDED to run good an all i know that a tune will be the biggest benafit but untill i get everything else done i was gunna do last, but would be fine running the spacer intake exhaustand all fine without a tune? (for awile till tune later)

3-high flow cats, several differnt brands an some people having welds not hold up, any brands any of you have used an liked? an try best to keep the check engine light off an pass emissions if possible
i know test pipes but check engine 50/50 aswell with rasp an smell id like to stay away from
hr y pipe? or dont bother?

4- i do have 5th gear just starting to grind but isnt even often, this being said i know the cd09 is the better one to go with, is it just direct plug an play if i get one an swap? nothing else needs to be changed or done?i know they come in the newer z an have better syncros my guess is yes its same but if anyone has done themself an can say an confirm would be nice cause if money right and all i may try same time as clutch but will see.

5- those running the injen intake that goes throught the front bumper, i was gunna go with that cause of good reviews, but being my daily an the rainy days i worried about water getting to it an iv seen what happens to them when water does. anyone daily an in water have any issues?

6- those that have serviced transmission an rear end, recommended fluid? and amount if known. not a serious question cause i cand find this out through the shop just if anyone has tried an liked anything other then oe

love my car and have zero plan of ever getting rid of it, and i like to keep it all tip top so thanks in advance for any help an opinions and taking the time to read.
18x9.5 in front 18x10.5 rear
245/40/18 and 275/40/18
Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome and that's quite the list you have to start out. One thing to note from your review of past Z33 info is that some research remains valid from years past simply b/c it still works. After almost 15 years of driving on the street and racing in NASA/SCCA D2D series, here's some of my answers:

1) While there's any number of aftermarket clutch kits on the market, keep in mind the VQ likes quite a bit of flywheel inertia to develop top end. Unless you retune (use UpRev), you'll gain some low end performance and lost at the top end. For a DD, I like the Nissan Key Value clutch kit that includes everything you need at a discount. The OEM NISMO 350Zs were delivered with the standard HP flywheel/clutch setups in them. If you must have a lightened flywheel, Jim Wolf and Stillen both sell popular ones.

2) Plenum spacer is not needed, but does make a difference if tuned.

3) Nissan OEM cats flow pretty well and you're right, without a tune, high-flow cats won't add much performance as the ECM compensates. Save this for the last to tune with, particularly if you must remain emissions-compliant.

4) Before you go any further, try changing over to Redline MT85 and see if that doesn't help your tranny. It's a synthetic lubricant with enough friction engineered in to help the syncros work properly. I use it in my CD05 street box and the CD09 race tranny and they both operate well.

5) It's pretty well known that the OEM airboxes were pretty well engineered by the factory. For my DD, I think it's worth just sticking with that design.

6) Since we've already told you what to use in the gearbox, the only other question is what to use in the VLSD? Nissan specifies a GL-5 80-90W pressure lubricant and I've used Valvoline Synpower 75-90W GL-5 in the DD and had fine results. Those recommendations change once you get into a racing LSD, but that's a discussion for another day.

Let me add one final answer: 7) Since you're new to the Z33, it's worth recognizing that your driving skills may need some development to extract the most from the car. Consider going to a professional driving school, attending a high-performance clinic or even a solo school to start out. You seem to want to do things the right way, and one of the first steps is to recognize the 350Z has performance that most new owners have no earthly idea how to reach. Develop those skills in a manner that won't have you crashing the car, or worse yet, hurting yourself or others.
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-21-2017), jv350z (09-23-2017), MicVelo (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 02:54 PM
stitchz33

Thanks a lot for the info, I'll say I'm decent driver, also I won't do nothing stupid stupid I just do some punches on interstate that's about it, love the car to much to sling it into a wall, but will look into it couldn't ever hurt, I just read the cats restrict about the most in the Z exhaust is why high flow came across, the stock oem clutch I just heard doesn't like higher rpms is why was asking about aftermarket, and I have the k&n intake I like the sound an works great was just curious about water in other intake styles, but clutch is coming first and tune will be done after everything else is done, loved his car for years few friends had them an I been into them and know a good bit from tons of reading but that never helps on acuall people's opinions an things they've tried thanks for the info
Old 09-21-2017, 04:58 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Can't do any better on suggestions than what dkmura already stated. Since you're new here, I'll just say that between he and I (and a few others), you will see the "Driver Development" commentary more than I've read on any other forum (for my other cars.) I get kidded about how many times I say "#drivingschool" in a year's time but it's all good humor and fun. But I'm deadly serious.

Driving a Z fast isn't just about the hot add-ons; it's about knowing the car and it's handling quirks - of which there are a few. Nothing serious like "un-saveable" snap oversteer of an early Porsche 911 but, the Z can get one into trouble if not totally paying attention. Good news is that if you do pay attention, the Z car is highly rewarding in it's ability to turn in and throttle control it out of any turn.

On the clutch, I'm one of the few people here that doesn't really subscribe to the "light flywheel is king" theory. Oh, for sure, it adds revs and frees up the motor to do what it's supposed to; however, I'm not crazy about the effect it has on other (daily) driving aspects aside from acceleration. Again, I'm in the minority here but I know what I like out of my car and lightened flywheels change the driving dynamic adversely FOR MY type of driving. YMMV.

On the note of the transmission.... it's true that the '05-06 CD009 is a superior unit to the early models. BUT, beware of buying a CD009 from an '07-08 HR car. NOT the same bolt pattern and will NOT fit the DE engine. Just a caveat.

You sound like you're on the right track. Keep at it and ask more clarification questions. David made the comment regarding the relevancy of info here despite the dates of the posts. Most of it is still the same; only the brand names have changed.

Welcome aboard.

EDIT: Forgot... regarding the clutch, dkmura suggests the OEM Value unit. No first hand experience with that one but do swear by the JWT (Jim Wolf Technology) clutches. They are one of the most widely used replacement units and having just (a year ago) installed one in my son's car, it has since lived up to its stellar reputation. Don't really think you can go wrong with one.

Last edited by MicVelo; 09-21-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:15 AM
stitchz33

thanks again for info, im just new to the threads iv stayed looking into these for years, just finally got one, and i see about the new brands is kinda what i ment is there any new brands holding better or no, an jwt iv herd great about and exedy but some people having the loud flywheel sometimes, i am a mechanic and have done all the work myself, i did a clutch on my first z i sold had to many issues this is my first one keeping for long run, i had clutch done in 4 hours or so but i had another car to daily that time had flywheel redone an stock kit, yet it had awful noise from trans when shutting off 3rd an 5th were grinding on it but anyway back to subject, thanks for info an all i do is interstate punches i dont go stupid in corners yet cause love the car to much to chance right now being my daily but love to get on it interstates, will evetully class befor i try to track it way later possibly, but thats why i had those questions, going for bolt ons tune nothing stupid an i know gains arnt gunna be that great either but some gain is better then nothing and if it drives better feels better sounds better to my liking is all shoot for really.high flow cats to just reduce some of the restricted flow from stock cats, and sound im sure will change, the spacer and all was lookking for to get all then i got a place around town that ima take for tune once exhaust is all done an plenum spacer is on, help breath an open the air to the 2 starving from what iv researched and iv got the plenum people are wanting for the spacer being 03, question on that was if i do exhaust an the spacer be ok for me to drive daily for week or so till a tune? clutch kits an so many differnt people an their own but i jus need something simple power isnt king to me being able to take a beating is what i care for more thats why i ask other then oem i read somewhere it doesnt like the higher rpms not sure bad info on that or not but i not sure. reason asking see if any of you have changed clutch to something and give hell time to time an still holding strong, and thanks info on the cd09 so the hr an de 09s bolt up differnt? so time comes an i get a cd09 i need to look for 05/06 de? i know they are rev up motors assuming the pumps an such are different but same bolt up? sweet. but i did read other place about that fluid mentioned above? z1 sells right? what fluid an how much you think i need? so much thanks for time an info im 22 work in shop 50 hours week an i can use the shop on weekends for my car, clutch coming soon lol thanks
Old 09-22-2017, 06:30 AM
stitchz33

The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 AM
stitchz33

Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Nice pics- it may be my browser, but is your Z Daytona Blue? It looks to be a bit different than what I usually consider that factory color.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 AM
stitchz33

thanks, car was originaly blue but this blue is lighter and more flake in it engine bay is only place can tell, but blue on blue its not really noticiable unless your acually looking for the differnce, got abit to go still needing black housing headlight options doing the 370z turn signals an redo the tint and tail lights ill be done looks, but as above looking at the finaly options cause gunna get it bolt ons an tune for good wile befor swap/turbo/supercharge wayyyyy down the road. love the z lol much fun
Old 09-22-2017, 08:53 AM
stitchz33

Ok thanks again on info, so best option is just the oem? Nismo? I'd go oem only thing is with my driving I don't wanna wear another out of oem doesn't take well to giving hell here an there, ordering clutch kit this weekend hopfully, and redline fluid? Z1? Most deffinatly will change out when I do the clutch and throw out, lol Iv got probably 280 photos of every step on way from valve covers to painting intake an everything if you have any nice pics of yours I always like seeing others work
Old 09-22-2017, 02:35 PM
stitchz33

hey sorry last question i did find nismo kit for 800$ solid mass flywheel, an would like to go with that, will the 08 nismo clutch kit work with my 03 z?
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

The Z33 went through an update in the '07-08 model year and they went through a change from an external clutch slave to a concentric slave cylinder (CSC). Do a search and you'll find a TON of information on this troublesome part. If that CSC is part of the NISMO clutch kit, you don't want to try fitting it to your '03 Z.

In the meantime, why don't you do an inspection of your OEM dual mass flywheel BEFORE replacing it? As long as the friction surface isn't too badly damaged, you might be able to get a Key Value clutch kit from the dealer with a new clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and associated parts to do an economical repair.

BTW- learning how to heel-toe downshift and rev match is one of the driving skills that aren't taught in driver's Ed. Integrating them into your existing skill set will have a direct impact on how long your clutch (and tranny) lasts.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome, Stitch.. Listen to these guys. ^ They know their shiz.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:18 PM
stitchz33

Thanks again an yes they do lol much help, well issuing I'm having with inspecting what I have is A- I'm not 100% what's in it, miles 194k on body an trans. Could be aftermarket or could be oem I can't say, but timing is kinda what gets me, I assume a Saturday I'm gunna try, it's my daily, I don't have anything else I can drive in this time, so i could pull an check the one in it, not bad I could send to the place our shop goes through for it an have them resurface what I have (wich id be ok with cause zero flywheel chatter or anything) and go with just a clutch kit. And like 30$ for them to resurface it. Problem is the clutch place isn't open weekends. no ride an work everyday of the week 10hour days, so trying to figure out options still but clutch is needed ASAP.
and thanks about the info on the shifting, I do my best but I know I'm not the best on downshifting but so much fun to drive I try to adjust everyday lol. I'm gunna try to order both oem kit for 03 and the nismo 08 (cause I can send back through the shop) and to see the difference in flywheel line up and just check the differences in general, also if anything goes bad if I do get a kit from the shop is I can send back if something does mess up, and get another in person rather then the shipping process, rather then me trying to resend through online an all. Trying my options lol but if I had to go with the 03 oem kit, I think I'd rather go another way if nismo isn't a option (the nismo kit shows singlemass flywheel) thanks for the help

(the 03 oem kit is costly even through our shop is why, 08 nismo kit was like 250$ less) through same place.

---update-- i see what ur talking about the slave an the kits are differnt and i see what you were talking about, so my option is the oem kit for 03-06 and its the single mass flywheel kit. any other options cause its 990$ fort the kit, if anything aftermarket would be better for me any opinions would be nice and thanks very much for the info already

Last edited by stitchz33; 09-25-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Lucy61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 350z questions

Sorry to barge in, but I also have some questions about my Z, same year, only 82k miles, I have owned for 13 years.

I am a frustrated with the windows..so maybe one of you pro's have some answers.

What I hate my Z is my windows , after both motors replaced a couple years ago, I am still forced to keep both locked in the up position. I tried reprogramming them a half dozen times, and they still will not function properly.
They have a mind of their own, if I close the window, it will go up and down non stop until it decides to stay half open. Then I have to trick it into the closed spot, and quickly lock the windows up. It drives me nuts because I cannot ever open my windows in fear they will be stuck open.

My other hate is, I live at the beach, and my paint is deteriorating fast.
Next, my seat motor is stuck in the farthest position, so now I have to place a pillow behind me to reach my gas pedal.
My inside lights have a mind of their own also, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.
I don't want to take it to the dealer because I KNOW they will over charge me, and when I took it to RPM they said something about my windows need to be "FLASHED" never heard of that before either, so before I pay someone again, any suggestions would be great.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to correct my windows that would be great.
I am a woman, and have owned my z for 13 years. It only has 82k miles, and drives perfectly , only problems seem to be electrical and the paint looks like crap.
Mine is a black 2003 350z
Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Lucy61
Sorry to barge in, but I also have some questions about my Z, same year, only 82k miles, I have owned for 13 years.

I am a frustrated with the windows..so maybe one of you pro's have some answers.

What I hate my Z is my windows , after both motors replaced a couple years ago, I am still forced to keep both locked in the up position. I tried reprogramming them a half dozen times, and they still will not function properly.
They have a mind of their own, if I close the window, it will go up and down non stop until it decides to stay half open. Then I have to trick it into the closed spot, and quickly lock the windows up. It drives me nuts because I cannot ever open my windows in fear they will be stuck open.

My other hate is, I live at the beach, and my paint is deteriorating fast.
Next, my seat motor is stuck in the farthest position, so now I have to place a pillow behind me to reach my gas pedal.
My inside lights have a mind of their own also, sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't.
I don't want to take it to the dealer because I KNOW they will over charge me, and when I took it to RPM they said something about my windows need to be "FLASHED" never heard of that before either, so before I pay someone again, any suggestions would be great.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to correct my windows that would be great.
I am a woman, and have owned my z for 13 years. It only has 82k miles, and drives perfectly , only problems seem to be electrical and the paint looks like crap.
Mine is a black 2003 350z
Lucy- you should try to start a thread of your own next time. As to your window problems, it's almost impossible to diagnose them from behind a keyboard. It could be a problem with relays, or the switch itself. Did you know your car has an internal diagnostic system? If you can get the BCM (body control module) codes from a car parts store or other source, it may help.

As for your paint, I have to ask how often it's washed and waxed. Does it stay in a garage or outdoors? Have you considered taking it to a detailer and having a sealant or coating applied?

Search this Thread