Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z High Pitch Whine in engine bay center of firewall

Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM
breeze350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 350z High Pitch Whine in engine bay center of firewall

350z High Pitch Whine in engine bay center of firewall this isn't a transmission or the drive shaft its a high pitch whine that increases as the revs go up and deflates when the engine turns off. Its a 06 - manual. I really don't drive this very much and it is getting worse or I think it is. Any ideas really I think its a vacuum leak but there isn't that many inputs there. Thanks
Old 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Does the whine happen when you're moving or in neutral at a stop or both?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 PM
breeze350z

as soon as you start the engine you can hear it and it gets a higher pitch when you increase the throttle. It has to be a vacuum leak on the intake its near the mav sensor and the intake to the fuel rails. One other note when I shut it down the pitch dies slowly and I believe a valve shuts I can hear a actuator of some sort or vacuum driven valve closing or opening. Not sure what that is or is part of normal operation. Thanks for listen I am open to suggestions.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:33 PM
zakmartin

Are you getting a rough idle or has your fuel economy gone south since the whining noise started? I know that a variable valve timing solenoid can continue to whine after you shut off the engine if it's gone bad, but there are generally other symptoms that go with the whine as well.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 PM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read the transmission has a natural whine to it.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 AM
breeze350z

I took it to my local guy who put a code reader on it. It had a couple of codes that kept reading over and over again. He said he would have to put the computer on it cause there are so many vacuum and other things that can cause it that it needs to have diagnostics run. Thanks for the help - its definitely not the trans - no rough idle no sputter just a high pitch whine. Engine doesn't seem effected.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 AM
zakmartin

Let us know what comes out of the diagnostic. I'd be interested to hear what your guy finds.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:05 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

For what its worth, if its a VDC equipped model the owners manual says that its normal to hear a hiss from the engine compartment.

Also the Motordyne plenum spacer install instructions say that its normal to hear a noise from the passenger side under the plenum/intake (before the install).
Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Follow through of what the actual problem ended up being is not this forums high point.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Follow through of what the actual problem ended up being is not this forums high point.
True, but one can always hope.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 AM
breeze350z

Guys I will not fail you - Can I post a video here? You would be able to understand the problem better... what ever it is I will let you all know thanks....
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Yeah just put it on YouTube and then you can post it in the thread.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 AM
stickchopper

Originally Posted by Theminatar
I've read the transmission has a natural whine to it.
this might be true. my 2003 with about 116,000 on it starts to whine really noticably around 85 mph.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by stickchopper
this might be true. my 2003 with about 116,000 on it starts to whine really noticably around 85 mph.
Has your transmission fluid ever been replaced?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM
stickchopper

yes. recently, as well as gear oil. actually, it's not THAT noticable, but it's there...
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM
zakmartin

Oops... yup, gear oil. Did you go with Redline or OEM or something else?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:44 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like a vac leak that is equalized when the throttle body actuates after turning car off. I too have had a high pitched (multiple kilohertz electronic like noise) that turned out to be a vacuum leak to my surprise. I thought it was the throttle body.

The noise would change when I would play with the intake tube- it was the coupling at the throttle body.

In your case its probably post throttle body though
Old 11-07-2017, 12:57 PM
breeze350z

Ok guys I got it fixed....

Here is what happened.
I have been looking or more to the point listening very hard to figure out where this high pitched sound is coming from. I really just gave up and took it to my local shop really good guy Jeff Murry in Jeffersonville less than two miles from my house. He hooked it up to the big computer and read codes and that really didn't yield anything but he did put a vacuum on the intake and put smoke through it... that is what told us where to look. We looked up the diagram of the engine and he said that it most likely one of the intake gaskets. I said I never heard of a gasket giving way but he said there could be other problems too. Well I took the car back and bought a complete set of intake gaskets from Auto Zone 50 bucks and I took Sunday to dig into the entire thing. I am not kidding you this is a big job because I clean and polish everything till it looks like new. Well I want to tell you that the entire seal of the very bottom gasket was gone. The same thing happened to my cam covers on the front of the engine. These are metal gaskets wrapped in a paper product which gives way so don't get upset if you hear a high pitch wine its just the intake gasket leak. If I didn't clean everything and just slapped it together it would have only taken 4 hours but I do things my way and it took a little over 6.5 - one thing that took 45 mins was the main connector to the throttle body the rubber gasket wouldn't let me put it back together. But that is it all done BTW DON"T over crank the bolts on the plelumu (sp) talk to you later
Old 11-07-2017, 01:45 PM
stickchopper

interesting..

Mine only kicks in at about 82 mph.

btw.. OEM for the person who asked.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:11 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by breeze350z
Ok guys I got it fixed....

Here is what happened.

I have been looking or more to the point listening very hard to figure out where this high pitched sound is coming from. I really just gave up and took it to my local shop really good guy Jeff Murry in Jeffersonville less than two miles from my house.

He hooked it up to the big computer and read codes and that really didn't yield anything but he did put a vacuum on the intake and put smoke through it... that is what told us where to look.

We looked up the diagram of the engine and he said that it most likely one of the intake gaskets. I said I never heard of a gasket giving way but he said there could be other problems too.

Well I took the car back and bought a complete set of intake gaskets from Auto Zone 50 bucks and I took Sunday to dig into the entire thing. I am not kidding you this is a big job because I clean and polish everything till it looks like new.

Well I want to tell you that the entire seal of the very bottom gasket was gone. !!!!!

The same thing happened to my cam covers on the front of the engine. These are metal gaskets wrapped in a paper product which gives way so don't get upset if you hear a high pitch wine its just the intake gasket leak.

If I didn't clean everything and just slapped it together it would have only taken 4 hours but I do things my way and it took a little over 6.5 -

one thing that took 45 mins was the main connector to the throttle body the rubber gasket wouldn't let me put it back together. But that is it all done...

BTW DON"T over crank the bolts on the plelumu (sp) talk to you later
glad you straightened it out, thanks for the update.

Fixt for easy reading.

Search this Thread