Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brakes warmer than front

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 PM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brakes warmer than front

Hello everyone. As you may have known I made a post last week about my rear brakes being really hot with brake dust everywhere. Well I went ahead and replaced all 4 rotors, all pads, and the REAR calipers and hoses on both sides. I also got new brake fluid. Before anything yes I installed everything correctly and bled everything to perfection. Today I drove the car for the first time after the fix to school which is about 13 miles. When I got to school I touched my front rotor hat and wheel and then my rear ones. The rear ones were a bit hotter than the fronts. Is this normal? I would suppose so since the rears are smaller and nonvented. The car drives absolutely perfect! No noises nothing at all, brake pedal feels great and my gas mileage even went up from 16mpg when they were stuck to now which is 22mpg. Can anyone please do a few tests for me and drive your Z and see which side is hotter for me? If rotors, pads, calipers, and hoses don't fix it Idk what will. I'm thinking about selling this thing. What are the main signs of stuck brakes? I really appreciate it so much for each and everyone of you that took the time to help me.

Last edited by Bernardo Z33; 09-18-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:10 PM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Vehicle Dynamic Control. Fronts stay cool and rears do not. ECU applies rear brakes. Pretty sure I gave this answer to you on the other thread, but just in case here you go. Even with VDC disabled via removing the relay or installing an on/off switch at the yaw sensor, the rears will produce more brake dust than the fronts, at least they do for me.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

It would also help to know which model and year of Z you own. The early base, enthusiast and touring Z33s had a smaller brake package, and rear brake wear was heavier on those Zs. Nissan made a change in those models with the '06 model year and rear brake wear (in particular) was improved.

If your brake operation is adequate, I wouldn't get too concerned.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:03 AM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by dkmura
It would also help to know which model and year of Z you own. The early base, enthusiast and touring Z33s had a smaller brake package, and rear brake wear was heavier on those Zs. Nissan made a change in those models with the '06 model year and rear brake wear (in particular) was improved.

If your brake operation is adequate, I wouldn't get too concerned.
thank you. It's the enthusiast 2003. I just don't have an idea what it would be
Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 AM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by onevq35de
Vehicle Dynamic Control. Fronts stay cool and rears do not. ECU applies rear brakes. Pretty sure I gave this answer to you on the other thread, but just in case here you go. Even with VDC disabled via removing the relay or installing an on/off switch at the yaw sensor, the rears will produce more brake dust than the fronts, at least they do for me.
so since it's VDC you're telling me this is normal then? That the rears stay hotter than the rear?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:07 AM
onevq35de

Yeah, but normal sucks. Calipers will cause the pads to slightly ride the rotors in 99.9% of brakes as I understand it and they're are truly 100% drag-free calipers out there. Best you can do is minimize it or find out if the calipers I just mentioned are available for the z.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernardo Z33
thank you. It's the enthusiast 2003. I just don't have an idea what it would be
As stated previously, the brake package on the early (03-05) Z33s were smaller in diameter, but still adequate for most street applications. Someday, you may want to upgrade to a BBK, but in the meantime, drive your Z at a moderate pace and don't overuse those brakes.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:33 AM
onevq35de

Wheels after about 200 miles of city driving which is 99% the amount of the driving I do.
Which is the back and which is the front? Really, tell me cause I don't remember.
I think the top is the front. My point is, before pulling the vdc relay the rears looked like the fronts of a bmw that hadn't been washed in a rear and the fronts were still pretty clean. Now I cannot tell. Assembling the brakes correctly by removing a little material at the pads "ears",greasing things up with sil-glyde and PULLING THE VDC RELAY corrected this.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

2003 enthusiast wouldn't have vdc, tcs only. You should be fairly aware if it's actuating, shouldn't happen under normal conditions
Old 09-25-2018, 05:49 PM
onevq35de

I figured the z would have the same system. I imagine it's very similar to VDC which does it's thing ***** nilly. The G has the rear brake issue, FX (mine below) had the same issue and apparently the Z does as well. Coincidence? I did what I did and it appears as though the problem's been solved.