Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Brakes Brakes Brakes, give me advice....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Brakes Brakes, give me advice....

I have a PCA-DE event coming up next month, and I need to get some better pads for my NISMO Z with the Brembos. What pads do you guys recommend that would work good for track use and street? I don't want them to be hard on my rotors as well. I been told HP + pads would work great, but also wondered what are the best deals on those from where? I see prices around $230~. A bit expensive for pads!! Didn't expect that. But gotta pay to play.....

So let me know what you guys think! Thank you!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 PM
OPTIMO

How many DEs have you done?
Do your current stock pads have 3/4 of their life still left (do you know how to tell)?

If you haven't done any DEs I'd recommend sticking with stock pads, even if you have to buy new ones.

Fresh fluid!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
z-u-later

I received your PM this afternoon. When I was looking for pads for my Brembos, I checked out the sticky thread above on pad reviews. I went with the Ferodo DS2500, which is both street and track pads. I've only had them for a couple of weeks and drove on them for the first time this weekend at the Spokes H2R autocross. The real test will be next month during the PCA DE at H2R.

I shopped around and the best deal on these pads are from RavSpec (their classifieds thread is listed below):

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes/335864-dba-rotors-ferodo-brake-pads-and-technafit-brake-lines.html

Ferodo DS2500 (Street) Performance Brake Pads
- Nissan 350Z/ G35 (Brembo) Front - $119 Shipped
- Nissan 350Z/ G35 (Bremb0) Rear - $85 Shipped
Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by OPTIMO
How many DEs have you done?
Do your current stock pads have 3/4 of their life still left (do you know how to tell)?

If you haven't done any DEs I'd recommend sticking with stock pads, even if you have to buy new ones.

Fresh fluid!
Yes I have been to a few DE events but not in my NISMO in my previous G35. The stock pads should have plenty of life left anyways in them, since I only have 7k of miles on the car and it has only seen two track days. I will be checking them when I swap my stock fluid out with Motul when I receive my order.

Ed, thanks for the info. I will look into that. I didn't even see that sticky. You and I are going to the same DE event.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:42 AM
MaddMatt

I see prices around $230~. A bit expensive for pads!! Didn't expect that. But gotta pay to play.....
Far more often than not, you get precisely what you pay for....
Old 05-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

True, but after reading the reviews on the HP + doesn't seem to be very good for the price. So I will be looking into alternates now like what Zu recommended.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Billhyco

have you read any of the "track pad database" responses found in the sticky threads of this forum? A lot of first hand stuff there. Read through it and make your own decision
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
mistico

At least go with a pad that will last the whole day. Stock and HP+ will most likely not if it's a track with heavy braking.

Best bet is to check out the track pad database sticky
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the Hawk DTC-70/60 pads. It's their new track compound.

JET
Old 05-14-2008, 08:58 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DS2500 is a lot like an HP+ - reasonably streetable, not a hard-core rotor-eating track pad. I like their DS3000 product, I found it lasts longer than the HT10 (discontinued by hawk now? not sure) and wasn't as aggressive. Initial bite was a bit less but only barely so, and the release is 100x better imo. Bought a set of the DTC stuff last year but didn't get a chance to test them yet.

For your first time, the DS2500 will be that SLIGHT upgrade over stock but won't turn to mush. I wouldn't go with anything more aggressive, but I don't know if I agree with the "stay stock" - nothing worse than having to tow the car home because you're driving on backing plates, or missing part of a $$$ DE trying to run around finding brake pads (if you even can).

I couldn't agree more with good fluid though!! I'm partial to the Motul RBF-600 but ATE Typ-200 would probably be good enough for a beginner - the irony being you'll probably over-brake and need MORE heat/fade resistance until you get more experience - I'm much easier on my brakes now with a lot more seat time, ironic, as I have much better braking now too
Old 05-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by Billhyco
have you read any of the "track pad database" responses found in the sticky threads of this forum? A lot of first hand stuff there. Read through it and make your own decision
I did, that's why I said above I read the reviews....meaning the database.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by dmoffitt
The DS2500 is a lot like an HP+ - reasonably streetable, not a hard-core rotor-eating track pad. I like their DS3000 product, I found it lasts longer than the HT10 (discontinued by hawk now? not sure) and wasn't as aggressive. Initial bite was a bit less but only barely so, and the release is 100x better imo. Bought a set of the DTC stuff last year but didn't get a chance to test them yet.

For your first time, the DS2500 will be that SLIGHT upgrade over stock but won't turn to mush. I wouldn't go with anything more aggressive, but I don't know if I agree with the "stay stock" - nothing worse than having to tow the car home because you're driving on backing plates, or missing part of a $$$ DE trying to run around finding brake pads (if you even can).

I couldn't agree more with good fluid though!! I'm partial to the Motul RBF-600 but ATE Typ-200 would probably be good enough for a beginner - the irony being you'll probably over-brake and need MORE heat/fade resistance until you get more experience - I'm much easier on my brakes now with a lot more seat time, ironic, as I have much better braking now too
Actually I have been to about 8 DE type of events in the past 3-4 years. So I have some good experience under my belt now. I pretty much pass everyone in my G35 when I went the last time, even some 500+ rwhp TT Z32s. :P That's all driver though. I smoked my Hawk ones I had in my G35 last time I went, in it, and refuse to buy those again after that. But wish I could remember what they were.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

I am thinking about DS3000 if I can survive with those for a couple days before the track event put those on, drive to work a few days and then track event weekend then take them off a few days later. If they are ok for cold stops I can do that. Then put my stock pads back in. I would do it at the track if our track allowed us to put them on at the track, but I rather have them in a few days before to bead them....hmmm.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street pads for street driving - Track pads for track driving

BTW: I use Carbotech XP10 F & R for the track, with a set of track only rotor
Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Carbon-Z
Ed, thanks for the info. I will look into that. I didn't even see that sticky. You and I are going to the same DE event.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to June 14th at H2R. We're running CCW, three run groups, four 20-minute sessions, and time trials in the afternoon. Should be a great day!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 AM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by laze1
Street pads for street driving - Track pads for track driving

BTW: I use Carbotech XP10 F & R for the track, with a set of track only rotor
I am about to use the same. Just swapped out my street pads and street rotors to Carbotech XP10 F&R and Centric blanks for an upcoming VIR event.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Yeah, I'm looking forward to June 14th at H2R. We're running CCW, three run groups, four 20-minute sessions, and time trials in the afternoon. Should be a great day!
You going to SASCA Sunday?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Carbon-Z
You going to SASCA Sunday?
Unfortunately, not. My oldest son has soccer playoffs this weekend in Austin. I can't miss that one. My wife's already pissed at me for going to the Spokes autocross on Sunday so I missed her Mother's Day celebration with her family. But I made sure to give her my Mother's Day present before I left that morning so that lessened my guilt conscience a bit . . . just a bit.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Oh ouch. Wonder why spokes even had it on mothers day... Wasn't the smartest for planning that.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 AM
z-u-later

Well, I think it's the only day H2R is willing to give to Spokes since most of the H2R private members are probably not going to be at the track anyway because of Mother's Day.

Quick Reply: Brakes Brakes Brakes, give me advice....