Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fairlady Z - Import? or USDM?

Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM
NaterTott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairlady Z - Import? or USDM?

Hello everyone. I am new here and I recently purchased an 04’ Fairlady Z. Anyways, I’m 80% sure that the Fairlady badge just means that the car is for/from the japenese market, but a friend of mine insists that the car is not an “import”. He didn’t explain his reasoning so it really has me thinking. Is the Fairlady Z an “Import”? What makes a car an “import” car? Are there only certain kinds of cars that have that “Import” title? Much like how a mustang or camaro has the “Muscle Car” title. I thought “import” just meant that the car was imported from a different country. Have I been thinking wrong this whole time? PS: I am talking strictly about the “Fairlady Z” not the “350z” and I apologize in advance if there was already a thread like this. Please link it. Thank You.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 712 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome- you're the first to ask about the current definition of "import" and yes, the Z was built in Japan, so it's an import. Unless the Fairlady badge came with RHD, you can bet the previous owner just swapped emblems on a USDM car.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:26 PM
NaterTott

Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Welcome- you're the first to ask about the current definition of "import" and yes, the Z was built in Japan, so it's an import. Unless the Fairlady badge came with RHD, you can bet the previous owner just swapped emblems on a USDM car.
So you’re saying if the car was RHD then it would be JDM but sense the car is LHD it’s USDM. Does that go for the engine too? I noticed this little plate in engine bay that has its info’ and what not, but the only thing is that I can’t read any of it because its in Japanese besides the obvious Z33. Now why would USDM put something like that in the engine bay? Also another interesting note, the carfax shows that the car was in germany at one point.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,430 Posts

Originally Posted by NaterTott View Post

So you’re saying if the car was RHD then it would be JDM but sense the car is LHD it’s USDM. Does that go for the engine too? I noticed this little plate in engine bay that has its info’ and what not, but the only thing is that I can’t read any of it because its in Japanese besides the obvious Z33. Now why would USDM put something like that in the engine bay? Also another interesting note, the carfax shows that the car was in germany at one point.
Well, it sounds like your car could have been imported from Japan (or exported) to another country (maybe Germany where they drive on the same side of the road as we do here in the U.S.) then shipped here to the States. Maybe a serviceman/woman. In any event, it's not a Japan Domestic Market car (nor from any country driving on the left side of the road.)

No matter how you look at it, the car is clearly an "import" by the definition of the word itself. Unlike other Nissans (and Toyotas and...) that are built in the U.S., the Z is a Japan made product through and through. I would suggest, for peace of mind and obtaining the correct parts going forward, going to or calling a U.S. Nissan dealer PARTS DEPT and have them do a VIN lookup. That will tell the entire story. (I mention the parts dept because they're the ones that have ready access to the lookup resources, having to use it to verify if parts fit particular VINs). I wouldn't think you'd have many issues with parts because by the time the 33 was introduced, most cars have/had a close-to-standardized (with subtle nuances here and there) "world build". Big diffs on LHD v RHD but aside from that, should be OK most parts.

To my knowledge, the Z33 (and all Zs for that matter) is NOT known as a Fairlady anywhere but Japan, maybe Austral-Asia region?) Pretty sure that's correct. Europe and North America has never seen the "Fairlady" name other than on badge swapped cars. Kind of like the Lexuses (Lexii?) that people "badge engineer" here for that "JDM swag look", e.g., Lexus IS (U.S.) is known as Altezza in Japan, that type of thing.

Last edited by MicVelo; 12-21-2018 at 06:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
dkmura (12-21-2018), joetor (04-14-2019)
Old 12-21-2018, 07:18 AM
bealljk

Received 410 Likes on 344 Posts

Don't overthink it … your car was built in Japan and exported somewhere.

It's not special in any form or fashion. Many many many cars are built in one country and exported to many many many other countries… your car (like mine, like mic's, like DKs) are one in a bizzzalllliiionnn on the earth.

Take the fairlady badge off … it makes you look like a dork.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 AM
NaterTott

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
Well, it sounds like your car could have been imported from Japan (or exported) to another country (maybe Germany where they drive on the same side of the road as we do here in the U.S.) then shipped here to the States. Maybe a serviceman/woman. In any event, it's not a Japan Domestic Market car (nor from any country driving on the left side of the road.)

No matter how you look at it, the car is clearly an "import" by the definition of the word itself. Unlike other Nissans (and Toyotas and...) that are built in the U.S., the Z is a Japan made product through and through. I would suggest, for peace of mind and obtaining the correct parts going forward, going to or calling a U.S. Nissan dealer PARTS DEPT and have them do a VIN lookup. That will tell the entire story. (I mention the parts dept because they're the ones that have ready access to the lookup resources, having to use it to verify if parts fit particular VINs). I wouldn't think you'd have many issues with parts because by the time the 33 was introduced, most cars have/had a close-to-standardized (with subtle nuances here and there) "world build". Big diffs on LHD v RHD but aside from that, should be OK most parts.

To my knowledge, the Z33 (and all Zs for that matter) is NOT known as a Fairlady anywhere but Japan, maybe Austral-Asia region?) Pretty sure that's correct. Europe and North America has never seen the "Fairlady" name other than on badge swapped cars. Kind of like the Lexuses (Lexii?) that people "badge engineer" here for that "JDM swag look", e.g., Lexus IS (U.S.) is known as Altezza in Japan, that type of thing.
Ah this has answered so many of my questions! Thank you! My question now is... Does the swapped badge make me a ricer?

Last edited by NaterTott; 12-21-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by NaterTott View Post

Ah this has answered so many of my questions! Thank you! My question now is... Does the swapped badge make me a ricer?
Depends. Does the car have more than one sticker on the rear window?

On that note, does anyone else get that "ricer" is a semi-racist term? Laff.... no, I'm not stressing about it despite my ethnicity. I just think it's funny that that one hasn't raised the ire of the sensitive amongst us.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:57 AM
NaterTott

Depends. Does the car have more than one sticker on the rear window?

On that note, does anyone else get that "ricer" is a semi-racist term? Laff.... no, I'm not stressing about it despite my ethnicity. I just think it's funny that that one hasn't raised the ire of the sensitive amongst us.
The fact that you already knew I had a sticker on the rear window just proves you know your Zs. And yes the sticker is anime. Gotta remember this is the Carmmunity’.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:03 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts

I personally don't think its racist. Yes, it is mostly used for 4 cylinder Japanese cars with obnoxious exhausts and overdone fiberglass bodykits, but there are a lot of riced out domestics out there as well. The name just sticked and continued in time to explain the same type/sytle of car. Remember...

R - Race
I - Inspired
C - Cosmetic
E - Enhancements
The following users liked this post:
MicVelo (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 04:44 PM
bealljk

Received 410 Likes on 344 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
BluestreamDE (12-21-2018), MicVelo (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:45 PM
NiLL

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Nothing wrong with fairlady badging. I took off the 350. It looks better.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE View Post
I personally don't think its racist. Yes, it is mostly used for 4 cylinder Japanese cars with obnoxious exhausts and overdone fiberglass bodykits, but there are a lot of riced out domestics out there as well. The name just sticked and continued in time to explain the same type/sytle of car. Remember...

R - Race
I - Inspired
C - Cosmetic
E - Enhancements
Never thought of it that way! And yeah, that's why I said "SEMI-racist"... meaning if someone is sensitive enough to be offended by such slang, they've got bigger issues. Laff. But I get it, racism hasn't any place in society. But to fret about it at every turn, uh, no, that's not me. Got many other things to worry about in life.

Race inspired cosmetic enhancements.

Yup, stickers make ya (look) fast.

BTW, I have stickers on my quarter windows so I ain't baggin' on anyone. Mine don't say "JDM AS F*CK" on 'em though. Laff.
bad boyz (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:51 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 287 Likes on 231 Posts

Never thought of it that way! And yeah, that's why I said "SEMI-racist"... meaning if someone is sensitive enough to be offended by such slang, they've got bigger issues. Laff. But I get it, racism hasn't any place in society. But to fret about it at every turn, uh, no, that's not me. Got many other things to worry about in life.

Race inspired cosmetic enhancements.

Yup, stickers make ya (look) fast.

BTW, I have stickers on my quarter windows so I ain't baggin' on anyone. Mine don't say "JDM AS F*CK" on 'em though. Laff.
Ohh, I have a lot of stickers, Windshield banner, 2 Z1 Motorsports Quarter panel stickers, Shop Sticker on rear glass, and about 10 more on my passenger side dash. If its wrong, I don't wanna be right LOL.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM
kauai1800

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my Fairlady logo, my MCM chopped sticker, my Speedhunter in kanji plate holder - and I love it.
​​​​ But absolutely “Ricer” is at least semi-racist!

Last edited by kauai1800; 01-01-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 PM
cpcars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love the JDMs. I just got my first Japanese import and I am blown away by the condition it is in. 2003 Fairlady Roadster, 78,00Kms (not miles). All in, including shipping, fees, vehicle cost, etc. about $8000 CDN, that's about $6500US. That's the amount I paid to have it arrive at port in Vancouver. Probably another $1000 in duty, taxes, etc.
blufc3s (04-13-2019)