Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bad Driver Disease

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Lokix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been driving a MT for 11 years. its all i have ever owned. I have drag raced and autocrossed. I hate to brag but i am very good at. If the car has a nice tranny that is. My current car has syncros going bad (i dont have my Z yet) but anyways. I will have a brain fart and do something stupid. Like burn out or stall or cause that hellascious rocking that we all have done at some point. When i first started learning i got so discoraged but my car was a 4spd so if i wanted to drive i had to learn. I just sucked it, got in the car, and drove. The parking lot thing didnt work for me. I had to get out on a street. Hills suck bad when your learning so avoid them like the plauge untill you learn. good luck and you'll way more enjoy the MT. Soooo much fun.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:35 PM
VQ35DES

Originally posted by yobri
Well, your cousin doesn't quite have the race shifting techniques down pat, which is different from standard MT driving... and your friend...? Not sure, but you SHOULDN'T be stalling [that much, if at all] after the first few weeks. NEVER let him drive your car.
id say he doesnt either, i tried explaining the technique of power shifting to him (and i did explain it right) and for some reason he said he stalled when he did it which either means he did it wrong or didnt do it at all

how exactly is race shifting different from standard MT driving?

would it be a good idea to have some experienced driver break-in (the real break-in) my car for 200 miles or so?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:42 PM
NismoKid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned about a year before I got my Z. My friend taught me to learn on his S4 and I stalled more times than I can remember. Reverse is really easy because all you do is ride the clutch so that shouldn't be bad. Once I got the Z, I barely ever stalled and I had it down in about a month (only put a few hundred miles in the first month though). I freaked out whenever I was first at the traffic light (that's the worst when you're learning). Also hills were a challenge, but not as bad as people were telling me it was. You will probably get upset driving the Z around the first few times, but don't let it get to you. You'll be driving and not thinking about it within a few months.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:16 PM
spitfirez

I got my Z a couple of weeks ago. This is my first manual car. I only had a couple of hours of practice in a manual before. It was a little rough at first but I've basically got the hang of it tough. Hills are still a pain.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:50 PM
SweatyPalm

I suggest you see a head doctor. Not because of your bad driving skill but the way you think it has something to do with your gene.