Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bad Driver Disease

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:18 PM
VQ35DES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Driver Disease

Im getting my second 350 in less than 3 weeks (gave up the other one to my careless brother). However, Im getting a 6spd manual this time. I have been shortly practicing with a Honda Accord and a Toyota Corolla (both beaters) and once with an Audi A4. They all said I did horrible.

Is this all part of the learning process or am I forever doomed and genetically suck at driving stick!? Should I say screw it and get an automatic as much as I want a 6spd.

Does this disease really exist or is it all psycological? Is it knowledge and practice or is it plain genetic.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:28 PM
dchengmd

Nah, it takes a little time to get used to, especially in a Z. Keep at it and it won't even be a second thought in a few weeks.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Just practice man, it's easier than you think. Not to sound chauvanistic or anything, but if you see a couple of girls here or there driving stick efficiently, you'll soon change your tune. You'll make yourself drive it better.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
erock

It's like learning to ride a bike.... Don't get discouraged, it'll be second nature sooner than your think.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:52 PM
fuzion

if you really want the 6spd go for it man. dont get an auto and not be happy with your decision.

me for example, i really wanted a 6spd and NEVER drove a stick car - to give you an estimate probably under a mile in a friends car back in the day.

long story short i got the Z - salesman was kind enough to drive it to my house and offer me lessons - i refused. when he left i took it out and just practiced and practiced. didnt mess up the clutch and only grinded once while i was learning.

do what yobri said - just keep practicing. go to an empty parking lot and just keep goin at it till you figure out da technique. you cant get worse, only better. =)
Old 02-22-2004, 04:56 PM
khagen

I did this when I was really young but it helped me learn and didn't mess up any cars. I practiced on video games at the arcade. I think it was called "Hard Drivin" but it helped me learn how to drive a stick. Might be an option, check out an arcade see what they got.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:44 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> I think it was called "Hard Drivin" but it helped me learn how to drive a stick.

Hehe, that's how little my brother learned to drive a stick when he was 12 or so. I didn't learn until I was 19.

Go to howstuffworks.com and look up manual transmissions. For me knowing the basics of how they worked was the key to learning. I just pictured it in my head before driving, so it was no problem.

There's certainly an art to it, too, so if you're really bad at art... it might not be a great idea. If you have the desire, don't even worry about it, because that's exactly what it takes.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
Go to howstuffworks.com and look up manual transmissions. For me knowing the basics of how they worked was the key to learning. I just pictured it in my head before driving, so it was no problem.
Yeah, but you're an INTP. That may not work for mortals
Old 02-22-2004, 09:32 PM
longbowe

What's an INTP? And Todd's right, seeing it on howstuffworks.com really helped. For me, since I already drove MT, that just helped anchor it better. It's always better when you understand stuff.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:30 AM
ZRated03

The Z was my 1st manual tranny car also. I had a total of 0.0 miles of experience before driving it, all it took was reading up on HOW it actually worked and it was as simple as putting a puzzle together. howstuffworks.com basically gives you a recipe, instead of 1/2 cup of milk, its 'depress the clutch and place the car in gear' - lol, follow the recipe and its a piece of cake. (no pun intended)
Old 02-23-2004, 12:37 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by longbowe
What's an INTP?
It's in this thread. Myers-Briggs test.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=personality
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 AM
shimz350z

not going pro-auto on you but i was driving manual for a while.

I thought i'd regret getting auto...(slower, no downshifting, not getting bored)...but I test drove it and my stock auto is real fast/response is quick/gears hook quick when i I press the pedal to the medal( i read somewhere the gearing helps us to keep up with the manuals until the triple digits the manuals *** in in front of our faces farting.)

I will dyno it eventually, that's why you if you read below my sig it explains perfectly

all in all...im really happy with the auto. I think it made me more lazy...like my left foot & right hand suddenly hired a chaufeur!~without my consent!
Old 02-23-2004, 04:41 AM
VQ35DES

thanks for the opinions everyone. already checked out howstuffwork.com months ago and i still pretty much suck. might try the arcade games though.

think ill go with the 6spd no matter what. wont be breaking 14s right away, but hopefully with practice by myself i will.

havent driven a real real car yet thats stick, anyone have any tips?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:45 AM
ttsupra94

It took me like a month to be able to get going in first gear. I had a much easier time going in reverse and even when i started driving for real, i still stalled out occaisionally but this was a couple years before i got the Z. Anyways, just practice, you'll be fine
Old 02-23-2004, 05:10 AM
boyze

if you have access to a riding lawn mower without a hydrostatic transmission, practice with that. As a kid I had 100's of standard transmission hours before I drove my first car. All on tractors and lawn movers. Once in a car with MT it was second nature.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:19 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

MY first new car was a 95 Eclipse GS-T 5 speed... I learned to drive it on the test drive and on the way home after I bought it. The hardest part is steep inclines, stay away from those until you get asjusted to the clutch and driving a standard tranny... overall its simple though ! Practice a little more when you have a chance so you won't be too rough on your new baby's tranny !
Old 02-23-2004, 05:30 AM
R.J._Vancouver

I drive a stick and I still stalled out my Z when I picked it up from the dealership. Luckily, nobody saw me :-)
I had an automatic big gas guzzling SUV before my Z, but my winter/work car is a 1990 VW Golf 5 speed. Wasn`t used to a stick with such short throws as the Z.
I think every car that is a stick is a little different and each one takes a little getting used to.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:43 AM
VQ35DES

im just curious for the people who have been driving for more than a year and do horrible.

my cousin got beat by a non-type-s rsx with a type-s, and my friend has been driving for about 6 months and i still see him grinding gears/syncros in the parking lot.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:08 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by VQ35DES
my cousin got beat by a non-type-s rsx with a type-s, and my friend has been driving for about 6 months and i still see him grinding gears/syncros in the parking lot.
Well, your cousin doesn't quite have the race shifting techniques down pat, which is different from standard MT driving... and your friend...? Not sure, but you SHOULDN'T be stalling [that much, if at all] after the first few weeks. NEVER let him drive your car.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:12 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Well I know some people I refuse to drive with.. When I first met my GF she was a brutal standard shift driver.. Now after 2 years with me she drives like mario andrette.. She used to actually panic when stopped on hills and drop the clutch and peel out.. It was sad...

Quick Reply: Bad Driver Disease