Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Cold Air Intake - IS IT SAFE FOR A 2004 z?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:10 PM
Evenflow80

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSQ
Install note: Make sure you use the long hose clamp in the kit to brace the intake pipe to the saddle bracket that attaches to the engine. That part isn't written in the instructions but it's pictured (like they do with lego instructions).

I didn't do this and just let it sit on the saddle bracket which caused the whole thing to sit a fuzz too low and eventually the heat shield rubbed through a metal line that runs underneath it.
Whoah.... Good to know thank you so much
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Evenflow80

Update :

Still haven't gotten my Z back from the repair shop.... But honestly I'm now once again leaning towards returning the K&N and sticking with the stock intake replacement .

I don't know. Keep seeing YouTube videos and other horror stories .... About cars with this intake overheating , sagging and damaging wires and other parts....

Not sure anymore to be honest . My car is so old and the mileage so high ....
Old 04-29-2019, 09:43 AM
Evenflow80

Update:

Well finally got the car back, with intake installed.

To be honest, dont notice a dfifference at all. Nevermind power increase (didnt expect that anyways), but it sure as hell sounds the same to me, except with this slight "hissss" sound as the air gets taken in. Frankly that hiss sounds more annoying that anything.

So far seems like a waste of $330. Could have gotten a new OEM filter housing for half that much. Oh well.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

If you want noise, exhaust is probably your best bet. I had an invidia gemini and then went to motordyne's tdx2. There's probably about 5 youtube clips of every exhaust out there so research thoroughly.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If you want noise, exhaust is probably your best bet. I had an invidia gemini and then went to motordyne's tdx2. There's probably about 5 youtube clips of every exhaust out there so research thoroughly.
Not so much more noise as a deeper, more rumbling roar when you hit the gas. I don't like riced out cars and their whiney exhausts , on the opposite end I don't like obnoxiously loud cars either . Hard to describe I guess.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got a nismo cai which relocates filter to inside fender liner and it has worked fine for the past 4 years/40,000 miles daily driven.
Some things to note:
-It is annoying to have to remove fender liner in order to clean the filter. I bought a second filter so I can just swap it out during the oil change, and clean the filter at my leisure. Cleaning often is a must.
-The "hiss" is probably more noticeable compared to your car since it's outside the engine bay
-MAF needs to be cleaned on a fairly regular basis (yearly or more). Had an engine code appear due to this
-It has a bypass filter built in that is supposed to prevent hydrolock in case of water intake. I have no proof that it has ever done anything to save the engine, but it at least provides pretend peace of mind
-I got bored one summer and did some data logging on the intake box vs cai in terms of temp. Basically, it really is cooler, but only at idle. Once you start moving, the air speed is so quick that I never saw beyond a 3 degree difference.

I don't think a lot of people realize that the stock airbox is sealed off from the engine bay and pipes in air from behind the front bumper. Cone filters in the stock location just allow the intake to suck in hot engine bay temps, which is what causes their inefficiency. Some of the most expensive intake designs are just sealed boxes around the cone filters that pipes in air from behind the bumper, a marginal difference from stock at best.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:51 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Evenflow80
Not so much more noise as a deeper, more rumbling roar when you hit the gas. I don't like riced out cars and their whiney exhausts , on the opposite end I don't like obnoxiously loud cars either . Hard to describe I guess.
if you want a deep rumble....

Old 05-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by BlueSQ
Install note: Make sure you use the long hose clamp in the kit to brace the intake pipe to the saddle bracket that attaches to the engine. That part isn't written in the instructions but it's pictured (like they do with lego instructions).

I didn't do this and just let it sit on the saddle bracket which caused the whole thing to sit a fuzz too low and eventually the heat shield rubbed through a metal line that runs underneath it.
Hey man.

So I think I did what you said to do and it's STILL sagging and barely rubbing off on that white thin tube right under the heat shield... It's so annoying

What can I do to prevent this ? Here is a pic of how it's installed in my car
Old 05-08-2019, 04:02 PM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I found this ancient thread where the owner had the same issue. Honestly, I'd return it, and either get a used revup air box, or some other intake.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ml#post4595030

To go back to the original question though, is it safe? Besides this rubbing issue, I'd say yes. I've run a K&N filter on my z since I bought it nearly 4 years ago. I installed a K&N drop-in panel filter on my wife's '07 Patriot in 2011. We have probably 100k miles on that filter. They're definitely safe, if you maintain them properly. K&N addressed one issue buyers raised, people arguing over-oiled filters would soak the MAF sensor, causing issues. I've never seen this happen, but I oil our filters according to the instructions.

Pretty sure K&N stated their oil wouldn't affect the MAF sensor, but if you don't soak the filter, you'll never find out lol
Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Evenflow80

Originally Posted by jellofuel
I found this ancient thread where the owner had the same issue. Honestly, I'd return it, and either get a used revup air box, or some other intake.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ml#post4595030

To go back to the original question though, is it safe? Besides this rubbing issue, I'd say yes. I've run a K&N filter on my z since I bought it nearly 4 years ago. I installed a K&N drop-in panel filter on my wife's '07 Patriot in 2011. We have probably 100k miles on that filter. They're definitely safe, if you maintain them properly. K&N addressed one issue buyers raised, people arguing over-oiled filters would soak the MAF sensor, causing issues. I've never seen this happen, but I oil our filters according to the instructions.

Pretty sure K&N stated their oil wouldn't affect the MAF sensor, but if you don't soak the filter, you'll never find out lol
That's doesn't really sound like my same issue .... Mine is the heat sheild itself rubbing against that same thin pipe under it
Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Panic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Bad bad bad

I just bought an 2006 with this in it. First rides were good but was surprised as how it hesitated to start after an hour long ride. Now I know. Luckily I have the stock box with it. Going to swap it soon. Too bad, I like the growl it makes.