2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change to kinetix????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 01:24 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, I did go and get the dyno done again !
BUT

You guys have the headers, and my car is on stock (although the LTH's might arrive this week)...I lost power (18)

We did an initial run with the stock intake pipe (Kinetix fitted), and the power was down, he did a couple of runs to confirm that. So he said, I may as well get the Z1 pipe fitted on as something seems strange.
I spent a few mins putting this on, and we ran it again. Same curve and loss in power (although confirmed cooler intake temp at least).
He did try several things with timing, although I don't have any photos of that stuff.
He couldn't spot anything that would be causing this from his end, I did suggest plugs (I'll inspect them this week) or perhaps the cork gasket was somehow interfering if it got dislodged on install (I don't remember having an issue).
I might peel that off anyway and put the Motordyne Aramid one I have in the garage onto it instead.

Note, there was a temperature difference of 14 deg.

So, when I go back with the LTH's, I'll also take the original plenum/spacer and fit that if we're still significantly down.
However I'm hoping it's a case of the air can get in but not out properly.

I've also ordered a new set of HP Ignitiion coil packs, as I realised 5 of my ones are original 135k ! (more of a preventative thing).

The following users liked this post:
bealljk (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:46 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I appreciate the scientific approach youre taking -
Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 PM
RobPhoboS

I'll post up dyno's after this next round, shouldn't be too long now (at a guess 2-3 weeks).
When I put the new coil packs in, I'll inspect/photo my plugs too.

If there is anything specific I can get from my tuner when he's tuning it that may help anyone?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RobPhoboS
I'll post up dyno's after this next round, shouldn't be too long now (at a guess 2-3 weeks).
When I put the new coil packs in, I'll inspect/photo my plugs too.

If there is anything specific I can get from my tuner when he's tuning it that may help anyone?
Forgive me - it's probably somewhere - what are you tuning with?

May want to get injector duty cycle or any changes in timing made.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:15 AM
RobPhoboS

Originally Posted by bealljk
Forgive me - it's probably somewhere - what are you tuning with?

May want to get injector duty cycle or any changes in timing made.
No problem at all, it's Uprev.
He did try some different timings too, although as to what I don't quite know as he's in a booth when tuning, and I'm outside (makes it a bit tricky for me to get info at times).
Note I'm on the stock injectors, and did ask if perhaps I required something else but he seemed to think these are fine. I'll ask him about the duty cycle, as it's not something I've considered or realised he could test.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RobPhoboS
No problem at all, it's Uprev.
He did try some different timings too, although as to what I don't quite know as he's in a booth when tuning, and I'm outside (makes it a bit tricky for me to get info at times).
Note I'm on the stock injectors, and did ask if perhaps I required something else but he seemed to think these are fine. I'll ask him about the duty cycle, as it's not something I've considered or realised he could test.
I'd pick his brain too on what changes he made and what he thought of the process. If he can monitor the MAF signal that might be a give-away too. More airflow means more power!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:54 AM
RobPhoboS

Originally Posted by bealljk
I'd pick his brain too on what changes he made and what he thought of the process. If he can monitor the MAF signal that might be a give-away too. More airflow means more power!
If I have enough energy tonight, I'll pull the Kinetix off, check the gasket (replace with Aramid if it's better?), and check the o-rings on the 75mm TB too.
With the Z1 'race' intake, I just reused my old MAF, so I presume that is fine with it ?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Mr600r

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Something else has to be wrong for that much power loss, I lost power in midrange that was gained back and then some.
Top end gains are mosty after 6200 or so where oem intake falls off.🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️
Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM
RobPhoboS

I put some pic's up for you guys.

Temp difference (although that's corrected for iirc, so shouldn't affect the readout)

I pulled the Kinetix off to check for any problems, I did see that one of the orings for the throttle body was snapped and hanging out!
I'm not sure if I could have causes a little air leak but I'll replace that anyway.

Last edited by RobPhoboS; 06-18-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

Judging from the pics you are using the czp adapters? I ran into issues with them, I used only one o-ring in between the two plates. On the manifold I used the cork one and the gasket that NWP provides at the TB. The fitment on those rings are terrible IMO, also the TB doesn't like it when you move it by hand as it messes with it's calibration.
The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:31 PM
RobPhoboS

I agree that the orings aren't good as they seem slightly too tight,and I'm not entirely sure what they do exactly in this case?
The whole intake was off, so it's not connected when I took that photo. I've taken the cork off of the bottom of the Kinetix (I used some Tardis so no scraping), and the Aramid gasket is there now.
I also noticed that 1 pipe going to the pcv/catch can wasn't connected properly to the pcv! It had been blowing oil up the outside of the pipe. Doh.
I don't know if these things could cause much of a problem but I've sorted that at least.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 PM
DarkZ03

In theory they should seal better but the fitment is terrible, that's why I only used the one in between
Old 06-20-2019, 06:47 PM
DarkZ03

FWIW all those things were most definitely throwing off your AFR, but I would definitely look into new proper fitting o-rings or use gaskets if you don't mind the looks. LMK how that aramid gasket works, I had thought of using it but opted to use the cork for now. Also was tempted to see how those thermal plastic gaskets work but we'll see.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:05 AM
RobPhoboS

The new o-rings arrived yesterday thanks to my awesome supplier here in the UK (Torqen).
So my top tip is...to ensure they stayed in place, a little bit of RTV in the groove, worked perfectly (just wipe off any excess).
I also replaced the hose that had worked itself free from the PCV, that particular hose was far to thick.

Removing the cork is very easy, I'm sure you guys have something similar to Tardis out there?
I just poured some into a baking tray and let it sit in there for a few hours. When I picked it up the gasket just fell off !
I've left the cork one on the TB for now though.

Hopefully this info isn't derailing the thread too much but I guess it's all relevant
Old 07-03-2019, 03:20 AM
RobPhoboS

Nearly fitted these...

Just hoping these help

Once again, sorry for the threadjacking.