Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New To All of This!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 03:47 PM
DynoDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To All of This!

Well that's subject statement is only partially true. I'm new here, and new to the Z and imports in general so allow me to introduce myself because I'll probably be posting or at least reading a lot here and I know I'll have a lot of questions.

I'm new to the Z, haven't yet purchased one yet but looking to do so in the near future. I recently started work at local Nissan and Ford dealer in the service and parts departments. Having received a new "Enthusiast" trim Z fresh off the transporter the other day I finally got my chance to drive one (the others we have are all on the showroom). The car offered me exactly what I've been craving lately which is smooth power, good cruising, driveabilty, handling etc. Much like one of the Car and Driver articles once stated this car dosen't quit trying to make you love it.

I've been a Ford and Mustang guy for years. I'm not giving up on my blue oval loyalty, I'll always love those cars. However it's hard to take a date out in a car that's thumping so hard it rattles your fillings and can only run on 100 octane fuel. It also sucks to go out in a 4 banger that can't hold it's own at a stoplight. That said I've been looking for a new "street car" and the Z fits into my plans, driving habbits sense of style and love of all out performance perfectly.

I spent several years writing technical articles for Mustang drag racing associations, I've built and helped build numerous domestic engines. Traveled with some of the fastest street car drag racers in the worlds, shot some of the best drag racing coverage anywhere. Turned numerous men and women into racing legends in the eyes of readers everywhere and been a part of writing and investigating technical articles with some of the biggest names in the automotive industry. I've made low 10 second passes at the local strip, rode in 7 second outlaw cars, and crewed with some of the best in street legal drag racing. So my hands on experience and "general" knowledge of performance as it pretains to any vehicle is pretty extensive. While my expertise lies in small block and modular Fords I'm curious to apply a lot of the same principles I've learned through the years to the Z and see just how this engine responds.

My goals are simple, break 400 RWHP and still be able to cruise the backroads of KY and Indiana with the stereo bumping and the car making nearly seamless power, or pickup my girl and have a nice evening out without worrying about the car breaking down in traffic, both of us suffereing a headache and that zoned out feeling a big thumping cammed engine leaves you with and without being able to pass anything but a gas station, Embarass a Z06 and scare all the kids in Civics. Looks like an intercooled procharger, new injectors, intake and full exhaust will be in my future shortly after initial purchse and break in.

Be patient with me I'm still learning about these cars . So far none have come in out here for anything other than intial service. Then again most of the people in this part of the country that own them own them for image, they're Doctors and Lawyers and most could care less about making more power nor could they drive one of these cars to it's potential (or beyond).

Look forward to talking to you all, there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable folks around here.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:11 PM
NzZ

Default haha

You're right there are a lot of people not interested in performance who drive the Z. But someone's occupation has nothing to do with whether or not they drive fast. There are tons of secretaries that drive Mustang GTs, and I know one that has a Cobra...what does it mean? nada. Read about Dr. Panoz and his little fleet of race cars..hey, they're ford-powered you prob already know about 'em. Sorry, can't stand it when people label others just on profession.

NzZ
Old 02-22-2004, 09:42 PM
longbowe

Welcome to the board! You'll find lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:42 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Welcome Don..I look forward to your contributions to this forum..now go to your sales dept. and get that Z
Old 02-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Jetpilot718

Welcome to the board. Im sure your questions will all be answered here, some more sarcastically than others.