Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Billet Plus Shifter for 350z- Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 PM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tmdz
Yeah but to be fair, they also designed that clutch pedal assembly...
Zing!
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Skene
Totally get that and understand. I think over-building and under-driving cars is a curse that myself and others often fall prey to. I'd rather buy 4 tires and get extra seat time, rather than buying a short shifter. I've just never been a fan of people disregarding aftermarket parts because "stock is good enough". (You didn't say that, but others in the post did).
Perhaps I should explain a bit more. As a racer with over a decade of experience campaigning the Z33, I've probably modified, hacked, patched or purchased more aftermarket products than most people on this board. If anything makes a serious speed difference on the 350Z, I've probably tried it or watched as other Nissan racers have trialed the part(s). Furthermore, as the former Editor-in-Chief for Nissan Sport Magazine, there were plenty of opportunities to try the wares of aftermarket suppliers to provide accurate reporting to our readers.

But in getting to know some of the designers and engineers who were in on the development of the Z33, it was clear where Nissan put most of the money in development and production. One of those areas was the powertrain, and a world-class manual six-speed transmission. They worked on everything from the gate feel, to how the shift **** felt in the hand, to come up with the best solution. Over the years, I find I agree on their solution and think there's plenty of areas that we can spend our hard-earned money in refining the Z to our tastes.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Over the years, I find I agree on their solution and think there's plenty of areas that we can spend our hard-earned money in refining the Z to our tastes.
Like...

Upgrades of the first 1.5 years of production gaffes - teething pains, real world experience - bad manual trans synchros fixed by upgrades to CD008, 009; horrible shocks fixed with revised spring and shock rates in 2004.5 models; oil burning R/U motors; really bad interior panel choices (that scratch prone velour junk in 2006+ cars), that sort of thing.

I've had to address almost every one of those (no Rev Up blues...) and y'know what? The car is now IDEAL for my needs.

If anyone sits around and complains about those kinds of things without taking the overall car into consideration, they're in the wrong car. Matter o'fack, prolly shouldn't be driving ANYTHING because EVERY car from EVERY mfgr has some sort of issue to get their whiney butts in a wag about. Just fix 'em and move on.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Jesus you guys. The OP asked about a short-shifter and you guys turned it into a IF YOUR NAME AIN'T IN BLUE YOU DON'T MATTER AND YOUR WORTHLESS OPINION DON'T MATTER thread.

Seriously you guys wonder why the noobs hang around for a week and bolt, never to be heard from again? Its not because Trav hacks on them when they ask stupid questions, its superior, holier-than-thou attitudes like this. Its a freakin short-shifter. There are quite a few of us that have them installed and really like them but you guys turn it into 'I'm old school and I would never do that therefore you are wasting your money oh my God you are stupid'... Its not like he's bolting a supercharger on a stock DE. Its not like he said 'I want and extra 30hp so I'm going to install a short-shifter'.

Seriously, have someone you know read the entire thread and explain to you how you come off like arrogant d-bags.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:02 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdz
Jesus you guys. The OP asked about a short-shifter and you guys turned it into a IF YOUR NAME AIN'T IN BLUE YOU DON'T MATTER AND YOUR WORTHLESS OPINION DON'T MATTER thread.

Seriously you guys wonder why the noobs hang around for a week and bolt, never to be heard from again? Its not because Trav hacks on them when they ask stupid questions, its superior, holier-than-thou attitudes like this. Its a freakin short-shifter. There are quite a few of us that have them installed and really like them but you guys turn it into 'I'm old school and I would never do that therefore you are wasting your money oh my God you are stupid'... Its not like he's bolting a supercharger on a stock DE. Its not like he said 'I want and extra 30hp so I'm going to install a short-shifter'.

Seriously, have someone you know read the entire thread and explain to you how you come off like arrogant d-bags.

OK, agree on the digression this thread took. My fault.

But not really sure why it's holier-than-thou. In the digression - again, I'll own that - nothing was said that made it seem that a short shifter was a "stupid idea". Far from it. All of the guys in blue (and others) said, "No experience" and expressed an opinion, right or wrong, that it wasn't something they'd ever felt a need for.

The "old school" digression - again, my bad - was just a rant based on Kevin's actually rather funny comment about the "old guys" all up in the thread. Again, nothing pointing fingers at anyone (and if you re-read my comments, purposely and purposefully mention, "No diss on the products"; and by inference, no diss on the users of said product), just an opinion. But OK, maybe it came off wrong and certainly wasn't meant to be. So take that as a humble apology for taking the thread off track.

I did say I liked the look (and had a desire to try) one of those trick looking shifters.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:42 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

The OP asked for opinions on a potential purchase and I expressed an opinion on it. Period. I still haven't heard an informed opinion on what the strengths/weaknesses of a short shifter kit are from someone who purchased one.