Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I want to hear about your 03-05 transmission problems, or lack thereof...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

My 03 had a CD009 installed under warranty
Old 10-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
My 03 had a CD009 installed under warranty
Same here. Swapped out the transmission in my 2003 Performance model for a CD009 in late 2004. I was experiencing a failure with the synchromesh in 5th gear. The CD009 was much better, shifting more smoothly and no synchromesh issues.

I recently swapped out the CD009 transmission for a CD00A version. I was experiencing a loud howl when starting in first gear. The CD00A fixed that, and it shifts more smoothly than the CD009.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:27 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

I have an 03 bought @ 75k miles and now have 155k miles on it. I did not have any transmissions issues up until this year. I now have 4th and 5th gear grinds and its pretty loud. I had friend record a video of me on the straight during an HDPE event and as I shifted from 4th into 5th u can even hear it in the video lol. I have replaced my transmission fluid once ~115k with redline MT-85. I recently purchased some new fluid this week and should be here for me to do a drain and fill to hopefully band-aid the grinding for next year.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
I have an 03 bought @ 75k miles and now have 155k miles on it. I did not have any transmissions issues up until this year. I now have 4th and 5th gear grinds and its pretty loud. I had friend record a video of me on the straight during an HDPE event and as I shifted from 4th into 5th u can even hear it in the video lol. I have replaced my transmission fluid once ~115k with redline MT-85. I recently purchased some new fluid this week and should be here for me to do a drain and fill to hopefully band-aid the grinding for next year.
I have "been there... done that." I can tell you the problem (synchromesh grinding) will only grow worse. The fix is replacing the transmission, and not with a used model that has the same problems you are experiencing and want to eliminate.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:34 AM
260DET

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess that the info is around somewhere but how are the different boxes identified? My race 350 is a '04 JDM model, shifts nice with a Torque Solutions shifter.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

So I found an HR to buy. It's a bit more money for the HR but I'd rather save myself the headache of replacing a transmission down the line. Not to mention the engines are much better. Thanks for your help guys
Old 10-19-2019, 08:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

You will just be replacing the csc
Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 AM
Bmsluite

Maybe, but it's easier than synchros. Why do you post only negative things on my threads?

Thanks again everyone for telling me your experiences so I could make this decision
Old 10-19-2019, 08:53 AM
travlee
Master

Because you essentially ask essentially the same questions and receive the same answers in every thread

Sensitive much?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:52 AM
Bmsluite

You talk about the HR 350Z like you know it in and out yet from what I've seen through my research you drive an 03 G35. Essentially the SLOWEST car available in this forum. Your picture tag thing is a cadillac. So I don't know what to think about you. If you don't like my threads just ignore them. If you are a troll I will ask the mods how to block you from my view. We had a guy like you named Mango on the BMW threads. Lonely, bored, and just trolled the forum. Didn't even own a BMW anymore. Sold it five years ago and drives a Lexus yet still trolls the forum. Honestly, I don't know where you guys find the time. There isn't something else you could be doing? I understand helping taking the time to help others because someone helped you. But just taking your own time to troll others?

I am taking my time now to tell you once and only once that I do not want to interact with you. I am cutting this off at the bud. This is the record saying please respect my threads and stay off them as you are not being helpful, only trying to get a rise out of people.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:24 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
You talk about the HR 350Z like you know it in and out yet from what I've seen through my research you drive an 03 G35. Essentially the SLOWEST car available in this forum. Your picture tag thing is a cadillac. So I don't know what to think about you. If you don't like my threads just ignore them. If you are a troll I will ask the mods how to block you from my view. We had a guy like you named Mango on the BMW threads. Lonely, bored, and just trolled the forum. Didn't even own a BMW anymore. Sold it five years ago and drives a Lexus yet still trolls the forum. Honestly, I don't know where you guys find the time. There isn't something else you could be doing? I understand helping taking the time to help others because someone helped you. But just taking your own time to troll others?

I am taking my time now to tell you once and only once that I do not want to interact with you. I am cutting this off at the bud. This is the record saying please respect my threads and stay off them as you are not being helpful, only trying to get a rise out of people.

Where the hell did you come up with me having a g35? A simple click to look through my albums would have shown you what I had, but I guess you were too lazy to that as well

I had an 08hr from 2011-2014
A 2008 Corvette z06 from 2014-2018
a 2016 Cadillac ats-v 2018 to current

So you just proved that your research abilities are lacking

Last edited by travlee; 10-20-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:37 AM
Bmsluite

You posted a video of a 2003 g35 with a gemini exhaust and something else combo. You said it was your setup. Figured it was you.

Also, I read a whole thing with you and some other guy going back and forth on exhaust system loud levels and you telling him not to buy whatever he wanted and to buy the gemini because it doesn't drone. Then he didn't listen to you and got whatever other exhaust and he couldn't stand the drone haha. On that note, I am actually going to get the gemini bc I don't want to be that guy
Old 10-20-2019, 05:58 AM
travlee
Master

If it was a black one in a driveway, that was my nissan
Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Bmsluite

I just tried searching for it but couldn't find it. It was a black car and the guy was wearing a red shirt. Could have sworn it was a G.

I did find the clip of your Z with the gemini and ART pipes. Sounds great. Exactly the type of sound I want. Unfortunately, I won't be able to run pipes as we have emissions here. I don't think high flow cats are worth the extra cost. It's too bad Corsa doesn't make an exhaust for the Z's. I usually go straight to them for any car. Never any drone, just a purr at low rpm, and rips at high. Seems gemini is the best choice. So thanks for that. I am the kind of guy who would much rather learn from others and ask a million annoying questions than pretend I know everything and learn the hard way spending a ton of extra money. So yes, I ask a lot of questions but, I want to get it right the first time. I work in a field where asking questions three times rather than going with your gut is a must so that probably transfers over to other aspects of my life. I apologize if it gets annoying
Old 10-20-2019, 07:35 AM
travlee
Master

No worries, and I spent soooooo much money just to do something to the car only to replace it with what I really wanted later on. Hence why I suggested if you have to do a thing to the trans you might as well do it all while it's down.

If you can deal with my sarcasm, you will make it on here
Old 10-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Bmsluite

Well then let me ask you this: The csc I haven't looked into in great length but I've seen some kits for it. I guess for the good one it's like $350.

Now, when i do a build now I limit myself to a set build and don't go further (went a little nuts with a car once when I wore a younger man's shoes). So here's my build:

Cusco RS LSD
Whiteline diff bushings
Sway bars
Exhaust
Maybe a tune but I don't see a need for it with these mods

Figure I'll do it at one time. Where's the slave cylinder? I heard something it's internal to the trans? Should I be doing that while I have the exhaust off when I'm replacing it?

Also, I'm just going to buy a used diff when I order the bushings and LSD since I need the output shafts from a VLSD (my car will be a base). This makes it easier to build the diff as I can check the backlash, order shims, build the diff, replace the bushings all at my own pace in the evenings. This way it's a simple pop it in and go have fun.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I have "been there... done that." I can tell you the problem (synchromesh grinding) will only grow worse. The fix is replacing the transmission, and not with a used model that has the same problems you are experiencing and want to eliminate.
oh most def I'll grab a newer trans. The fluid change is just part of maintenance I need to do after this season of HPDE events. Figured I'll just send it till it goes then look for a CD009 when the old one disintegrates.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought I would add to this thread by strongly recommending that if somebody does decide to swap to a CD009 . . . . That they should definitely replace the clutch plate, throw-out bearing, pressure plate, and even the hydraulic slave cylinder. Also, inspect the u-joint and the remainder of the drive line for wear or out-of-balance issues. Do ALL of this because you do not want to have to do it later (and you will).
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 03:29 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
Well then let me ask you this: The csc I haven't looked into in great length but I've seen some kits for it. I guess for the good one it's like $350.

Now, when i do a build now I limit myself to a set build and don't go further (went a little nuts with a car once when I wore a younger man's shoes). So here's my build:

Cusco RS LSD
Whiteline diff bushings
Sway bars
Exhaust
Maybe a tune but I don't see a need for it with these mods

Figure I'll do it at one time. Where's the slave cylinder? I heard something it's internal to the trans? Should I be doing that while I have the exhaust off when I'm replacing it?

Also, I'm just going to buy a used diff when I order the bushings and LSD since I need the output shafts from a VLSD (my car will be a base). This makes it easier to build the diff as I can check the backlash, order shims, build the diff, replace the bushings all at my own pace in the evenings. This way it's a simple pop it in and go have fun.
it is inside the bell housing, you have to drop the trans to change it.... and like i always say, do everything while you are in there. dropping the trans isnt hard, but it is far from fun