2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 04:29 AM
SenpaiNodusMe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Uh oh

Hello!

So, I've owned my 350z for around 2-3 weeks now (If I'm counting correctly.) and I'm coming to the realization that I may have been sold a wrong model LOL.

First, I'd like to ask. With me being young, I don't know much about this. If the dealer sold me the wrong model but what was listed is the Grand touring, Would I be able to sue or would that be petty of me?

Aside from that, I've looked up my VIN number multiple times and I'm getting back a regular 350z base trim.

I'm not sure if I have brembo brakes, I have red brake calipers and they're faded/chipped from sitting/weather.

I have heated seats,
I have cruise control,
I'm not sure if I have Bose, the dealership said it came with it.
I was told the Grand Touring came with GPS yet, mine didn't have it?
It's a coupe, not a convertible.

The things above is my curiosity, I'm just asking for some help in this matter of what should I do.

Could the previous owner have taken off the Brembo brakes and put on something else, along with the GPS Navigation? Highly doubt it really.

Any feedback is appreciated and any help is aswell,

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

its a used car, you are responsible for doing your research before buying it, you would be very petty for trying to sue for something that you prob paid $5k for...... i don't feel bad for you
The following users liked this post:
SPID3R (12-10-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 07:46 AM
slimjim888

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't sound like a Grand Touring at all.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:14 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Your best bet would be to go back to the dealership and inform them that the car is a base model (or whatever model it is) and negotiate some money back based on the discrepancy.

They arent going to take the car back and they'll fall back on what Trav said ... if they truly care about the customer they'll adjust back the price you paid. But I highly doubt it.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Hector Arias

Ok...First at all; CONGRATULATIONS on getting your hands on a Z. I will speak for myself, saying that it was one of my best investments in a car on the last 2 years.
I will recognize that it became a little money pit, but the satisfaction of driving it, is one of a kind.
I own a 2004 Roadster Touring.
How do I know?
Well, when I got i; like you, I didn't knew exactly wich model it was, but I knew I wanted a convertible with LSD, manual transmition and RWD.
Now, there is a lot of forums and sites what explain the differences between models, it might get confusing because some goodies are not in the car, like the Navi system. To be honest, I couldn't care less for a GPS while I have my phone with me all the time. ;-)
So, what years is yours? Do you have a DE, DE rev Up or an HR?
Stock wheels or aftermarket?
Consider that some pre owned cars, specially sports cars, the previous owners might change or "upgrade" some parts.
In my case, my car was fully stock, untill I got it; and the only thing I care is to have a good running engine.
Please, post some pictures of your Z, and we might be able to help you to see what model you own.
About the BOSE system, you will see a big speaker behind the driver seat, with the BOSE tag in the center of the cover.
Do you have Cruise Control? audio control on the steering wheel? if you don't have any, you have a base model.
Do you have a Traction control switch near the swith to open the gas lid?

I will suggest to research on google or this forum itself.

two pieces of advise....
1, Do not take personal what you read on this forum sometimes, Z owners are great flamethrowers!...ajajajajaja...
2. Your money, your car, your taste. As long you don't hurt yourself or anybody else; it is your car, do whatever you want.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:22 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by travlee
its a used car, you are responsible for doing your research before buying it, you would be very petty for trying to sue for something that you prob paid $5k for...... i don't feel bad for you
Paid 8k for actually, Anyways thanks for the response. Even if it is a used car, Wouldn't the sale have listed all the work done to it?

Old 11-30-2019, 03:24 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by Hector Arias
Ok...First at all; CONGRATULATIONS on getting your hands on a Z. I will speak for myself, saying that it was one of my best investments in a car on the last 2 years.
I will recognize that it became a little money pit, but the satisfaction of driving it, is one of a kind.
I own a 2004 Roadster Touring.
How do I know?
Well, when I got i; like you, I didn't knew exactly wich model it was, but I knew I wanted a convertible with LSD, manual transmition and RWD.
Now, there is a lot of forums and sites what explain the differences between models, it might get confusing because some goodies are not in the car, like the Navi system. To be honest, I couldn't care less for a GPS while I have my phone with me all the time. ;-)
So, what years is yours? Do you have a DE, DE rev Up or an HR?
Stock wheels or aftermarket?
Consider that some pre owned cars, specially sports cars, the previous owners might change or "upgrade" some parts.
In my case, my car was fully stock, untill I got it; and the only thing I care is to have a good running engine.
Please, post some pictures of your Z, and we might be able to help you to see what model you own.
About the BOSE system, you will see a big speaker behind the driver seat, with the BOSE tag in the center of the cover.
Do you have Cruise Control? audio control on the steering wheel? if you don't have any, you have a base model.
Do you have a Traction control switch near the swith to open the gas lid?

I will suggest to research on google or this forum itself.

two pieces of advise....
1, Do not take personal what you read on this forum sometimes, Z owners are great flamethrowers!...ajajajajaja...
2. Your money, your car, your taste. As long you don't hurt yourself or anybody else; it is your car, do whatever you want.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
Originally Posted by bealljk
Your best bet would be to go back to the dealership and inform them that the car is a base model (or whatever model it is) and negotiate some money back based on the discrepancy.

They arent going to take the car back and they'll fall back on what Trav said ... if they truly care about the customer they'll adjust back the price you paid. But I highly doubt it.
Even if it was used, Wouldn't the work previously done to it be listed on it?

I have aftermarket wheels, as for the engine, I'm not really sure how to determine the difference.

I've learned not to get butthurt from others giving opinions, it's my car/your car so why would you care what others think about it. You're the one who put money into it, if it looks good then it looks good.

Aside from that,
Thank you for the replys.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

I believe we have a good vin decoder on here . Also post more details, like maybe even what year your car is
Old 11-30-2019, 03:35 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I believe we have a good vin decoder on here . Also post more details, like maybe even what year your car is
Sorry about that , can't believe I didn't post it.

I have a 2006 350z.

I've been doing some research and the Enthusiast vs the touring is that the Enthusiast doesn't have heated seats but I do?

I also don't have TCS, I have VDC.

The dealership just got back to me saying it was an Enthusiast.

Surely these things aren't just aftermarket, Lol?
Old 11-30-2019, 03:38 PM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by SenpaiNodusMe
Paid 8k for actually, Anyways thanks for the response. Even if it is a used car, Wouldn't the sale have listed all the work done to it?
Oh wow......8k, balla

And no they dont have to list anything.....its a used car, not to mention they cant list what they dont know

Last edited by travlee; 12-01-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:39 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Oh wow......8k, balla

And no they dont have to list anything.....its a used car, not to mention they cant list what they dont know
Ah, True. Didn't really take that into consideration.

Thanks for the help/Reply.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:41 PM
travlee
Master

But in all honesty....sounds like a touring someone added brakes to
Old 11-30-2019, 06:25 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

VDC is touring and grand touring. You have leather , post a pic of your brakes.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:08 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

If you have leather seats, it's not an Enthusiast.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,286 Likes on 2,338 Posts

VDC is touring and grand touring. You have leather , post a pic of your brakes.
Originally Posted by i8acobra;11008041[b
]If you have leather seats, it's not an Enthusiast.
These three lines are key.

The only thing that would make this a GT at this point is Brembo brakes and Navi.

Here are Front Brembos (never mind the color as someone painted yours red as the factory Brembos were never red (but keep in mind that this is a simple upgrade and yours may have been if it has these):

Standard front brakes (non-Brembo):

Use the VIN decoder on this site - I've never known this one to be wrong (for any model car, not just Zs): https://my350z.com/forum/vindecoder.php

Old 12-01-2019, 02:35 AM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by MicVelo
These three lines are key.

The only thing that would make this a GT at this point is Brembo brakes and Navi.

Here are Front Brembos (never mind the color as someone painted yours red as the factory Brembos were never red (but keep in mind that this is a simple upgrade and yours may have been if it has these):

Standard front brakes (non-Brembo):

Use the VIN decoder on this site - I've never known this one to be wrong (for any model car, not just Zs): https://my350z.com/forum/vindecoder.php
Thank you for the images, They've been very helpful in determining my car.

Going to post the images of my car and get the opinion from you and other's aswell, If that's alright.

Ignore the center console piece being gone, I've taken it out and am repairing it/repainting it.

Looking at the decoder, It would appear to be a touring, not a grand.

Aside from that, I'd like an opinion.

For $8,000 with 67,000 miles on the clock, Was this a good purchase?

Last edited by SenpaiNodusMe; 12-01-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:49 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Only you can answer that question- low miles for age but you've got some cosmetic issues. That is the Bose, so like others said it looks like the Touring trim. Enjoy it!
Old 12-01-2019, 02:51 AM
travlee
Master

Looks like some drove after eating taco bell, blew up that seat cushion
Old 12-01-2019, 03:06 AM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by jhc
Only you can answer that question- low miles for age but you've got some cosmetic issues. That is the Bose, so like others said it looks like the Touring trim. Enjoy it!
Yeah, I was just asking for opinions on the matter. Anywho, Thank you for the reply. I do plan on fixing the inside up, maybe some seat covers until I can afford actual seats.
I can't disagree with this, haha.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:09 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,286 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Oh f*ck, Trav, was enjoying my coffee as I read your allegorical description.

Now my coffee tastes like blown chunks. Ban!! 🤢🤮😆

The following users liked this post:
travlee (12-01-2019)

Quick Reply: Uh oh