Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stop Tech Performance pads any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Stop Tech Performance pads any good?

Was going to go with Hawk HPS pads but am seeing a lot of people saying they are garbage. The stop tech performance pads are cheaper and they seem to have good reviews. Just need a street pad that can hold up to some light track use. If I get into heavier tracking of the car I'll buy some dedicated pads to switch out at the track.

Just wondering if you guys have tried these and how they worked out.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:30 AM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Standard calipers or Brembos...?

You're going to need/want a more aggressive pad than HPS... Those might work for a lap or two, but the bite will fall of quickly due to heat. I personally use HP+, and am about at the limit for their ability to handle heat on a road course. I don't DD my Z (but did my STI w/ Brembos & HP+), but the HP+ is street-friendly enough to be fine for dual-use.

I'd also avoid EBC Yellowstuff, unless you like melted pads on track.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:33 PM
heyyouduh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experience with HPS and HP+ on a different car (s14, NA w/ bolt ons, stock calipers, sticky street tires). I have experience with the stoptech pads on a HR Z (stock motor, stoptech st40/st22 calipers, sticky street tires). Not a direct comparison but will be helpful for you I believe.

HPS is a fine street pad, not good enough for more than a few laps even in a NA S14 with street tires, they won't come close to handling the heat generated by the Z. the HP+ is more noisy, produces more dust and has worse cold bite than the stoptech pads and (obviously) the HPS. The HP+ is daily-able if you don't mind more noise and dust on your wheels. They made a lot of dust. On track (again on the s14) the HP+ were able to get me through the majority of a 20 minute session).

With the Z in stock tires/wheels/non brembo pads with 7-8k miles street miles on them I experienced fade in a couple laps and tried to manage the heat. After a couple of sessions I was actually flagged for smoke coming from the rear brakes and found the rear stock pads, again with only 7-8k street miles, had burned to the backing plates. I would say the HPS will not be nearly enough for the Z on track given my prior experience with it on the S14. The HP+ will probably fare better and get you some more meaningful track time, but will experience fade as well. I would place the stoptech somewhere between the two. Again, not a direct comparison, just experience with the different compounds on different set ups.

For a Z with stock non brembo calipers at the track, I would say just go ahead and buy a set of track pads and bring them with you if you've progressed beyond the novice stage as a driver. Don't be like me and end your day before lunch when you realized you have no more brakes.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 01-06-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:35 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Edit: I used the Stoptech 309 series specifically.

I ran Stoptech Street Performance pads with the Akebono 370Z sport BBK on my 350Z (using stoptech SS lines and Slotted Rotors). I had a bad experience with these pads. There was massive pad transfer to the rotor surface anytime the rotors/pads got wet while the vehicle was parked. So simply washing my car or parking it after driving in the rain was ruining my braking experience. The pad transfer was bad enough to cause a massive vibration under moderate to heavy braking loads. I would need to go through the Bed-in procedure time and time again to free the rotors surfaces of the material transfer. Since I primarily used the Z as a daily driver with the prospect of tracking it, I decided to ditch the pads and go with something a little less aggressive. I did some searching online and discovered a number of forum posts (different vehicles) describing the exact same issues I experienced.
BMW Forum Link
Acura Forum Link (Note: The pictures shown in this link display the exact same issue I had. This is not from overheating and holding the brakes on!)

Perhaps I got a bad batch of pads or perhaps this is by design (I suspect the former). One thing is for sure, Stoptech pads need heat to work as intended. Daily driving the Z, my brakes were never stressed like they would be on the track. In conclusion, I would recommend staying away from aggressive pads if you rarely ever go to the track, you're better off swapping pads for track days. Yes this means extra work, but dealing with the issues I had on an almost weekly basis is far more irritating.
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 01-09-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:06 AM
KBoltz

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I used Stop Tech ( Sport Pads NOT Street) one piece pads on my 2008 Corvette (Z51 with Z06 brake upgrade) and had a different experience than icer5160. My car was an occasional daily driver (at the time I lived in Northeast Washington State) and only used it once in awhile for street use but mainly for autocross/track days.

In autocross, I enjoyed great braking, no pad taper (one piece pads versus the padlets of the Z06) and no vibration issues.

I plan on upgrading my 05 Z Roadster with the Stop Tech setup from a non vendor as soon as finances allow (pads, rotors, calipers and stainless steel lines) since Stitch (our 05 Daytona Blue Roadster) is going to be used primarily for autocross and the occasional street driving

Last edited by KBoltz; 01-10-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:25 AM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Haven't seen anyone mention that there are 4 different types of stoptech pads. Depending on which you use will greatly change your experience. In order to help others please mention which series that you have used from stoptech.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:16 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

I updated my post with more information. Thanks for pointing that out Rusty!
-Icer