Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 08:03 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Poor Acceleration

Hello!

Wanted some insight from the experts!
2006 350z Touring 75k milage

So, I was heading home from work and my car is being hesitant when I floor it, like it won't go fast at all. After coming home, I popped the hood and found that my air intake is loose and one of the screws came off making a slight crack in the front. If I get a screw to bolt it on, would this fix my issue? Could this even create something that big? My idle is fine, it sits above 500. The check engine light is on because of a neutral safety switch and my TPS is on from aftermarket tires.

Pictures below,

Video link is here

Old 04-18-2020, 10:49 PM
Kspinazzola

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SenpaiNodusMe
Hello!

Wanted some insight from the experts!
2006 350z Touring 75k milage

So, I was heading home from work and my car is being hesitant when I floor it, like it won't go fast at all. After coming home, I popped the hood and found that my air intake is loose and one of the screws came off making a slight crack in the front. If I get a screw to bolt it on, would this fix my issue? Could this even create something that big? My idle is fine, it sits above 500. The check engine light is on because of a neutral safety switch and my TPS is on from aftermarket tires.

Pictures below,

Video link is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWUrbHUqU8

I can’t see all that we’ll but it looks like enough of a crack for air to get in and if air is getting in before the MAF then you will definitely have issues. I would fix that first and if the issue persists then come back and do some more troubleshooting. But i wouldn’t be surprised if you fix that and the problem goes away.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:21 AM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by Kspinazzola
I can’t see all that we’ll but it looks like enough of a crack for air to get in and if air is getting in before the MAF then you will definitely have issues. I would fix that first and if the issue persists then come back and do some more troubleshooting. But i wouldn’t be surprised if you fix that and the problem goes away.
Howdy,

Well I screwed the bolt back in and the issue still persisted after that. Around 5-10 minutes later, I pulled into an empty parking lot and did a donut and my SLIP light stayed on. For some odd reason, I hardly ever see my SLIP light come on when I lose traction. Turned the car off then turned it back on, pulled onto the highway and sent it, finally back to normal. I'm not really sure what could have caused this? I guess I'm due for another cold air intake.

I'll be shifting to work on my engine rather than cosmetics, Where would you suggest a good start is? Replacing spark plugs?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:55 PM
lowtempo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try resetting your ECU. Just pull the negative battery overnight then reconnecting it the morning. Then test it out again.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:39 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Originally Posted by lowtempo
Try resetting your ECU. Just pull the negative battery overnight then reconnecting it the morning. Then test it out again.
Howdy,

So I’ve come down to it. Did it again after leaving work, was fine the yesterday. My theory is that VDC kicks on thinking I’m slipping so it won’t let me gas it. When I gas it , no slip light it just slowly goes fast. Every time I do a donut , everything returns to normal , no hesitation at all. I recently lowered the car , not sure how that would effect it though. I plan on getting a new cold air intake soon too.

Should I still try resetting the ECU if doing a donut fixes things? Haha

Last edited by SenpaiNodusMe; 04-20-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 PM
SenpaiNodusMe

Issue was my tail light, two bulbs where burned out,

I replaced it with an OEM from a junkyard that sold it to me for 40$, only a tiny scratch on it. What a steal.

Hopefully, I helped someone.