Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Some questions about tuning NA

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 07:24 AM
Duffman9465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some questions about tuning NA

Hey guys. Not too sure if this is right place in the forum to ask this, and I know people may say "use the search button", but I'm not really finding as much of a direct answer, or a modern post. I'm just wondering about UTEC vs. Flash tune for my currently NA vq35de 350z. I have some bolt on mods and I'm thinking something in the way of tuning may make somewhat of a difference with it. What UTEC's are available? Would they be more worth the money if I'm staying NA for the next 2-4 years? Is UTEC really worth it overall? I don't want to spend a bunch of money and end up going in the wrong direction. My bolt on mods currently are; high flow performance cats with full cat back exhaust, JWT pop charger with nismo piping, z1 motorsport plenum spacer. I also plan to maybe add a better clutch and better headers to complete the exhaust sometime in the future, but might wait until I begin my plans for FI for those. Any clarity on the UTEC vs. Flash tune would be very welcome
Old 04-27-2020, 08:41 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

I had utec n/a and now on turbo. Great unit
Old 04-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Duffman9465

Which UTEC do you have?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:24 AM
iideadeyeii

There's only one
Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

where in colorado are you?

do you have emissions regulations?

I dont know many people that use UTEC on this platform (obviously iideadeye does).

The two biggest players will be Uprev or Haltech piggyback (if you have emissions to comply with).

You can get uprev for around $500 and a tuner can tune you for a few hundred dollars.

If you want to tune the car yourself than consider Uprev if you want to spend a little more or consider a used Haltech piggyback.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Duffman9465

I live by Fort Collins, so we still have emissions we have to comply with. I've talked with uprev and they said their etune would be best for $550. So I'd say its between the haltech UTEC and their flash tune. But I know a UTEC is cheaper. I haven't been able to find the UTEC haltech makes. I can find this one on the enjuku website

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/ecumaster-nissan-350z-pnp-for-vq35de-2003-2004-manual-trans.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhZr1BRCLARIsALjRVQPcv1coEP-uZSMagRLPSCLbsufLKE9AEPvEM8vGz0dT8_iHFzFbH5EaAu4kEALw_wcB

Last edited by Duffman9465; 04-27-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:09 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Duffman9465
I live by Fort Collins, so we still have emissions we have to comply with. I've talked with uprev and they said their etune would be best for $550. So I'd say its between the haltech UTEC and their flash tune. But I know a UTEC is cheaper. I haven't been able to find the UTEC haltech makes. I can find this one on the enjuku website

https://www.enjukuracing.com/product...EaAu4kEALw_wcB
Youre a little confused on 'UTEC' ... iideadeyeii can clarify but as I understand it UTEC is essentially TurboXS. There are no multiple 'UTEC' and it's not generic. Furthermore - you can find a TurboXS UTEC but its one step above Rom Raider / Open Source and it's pretty archaic to be honest.

If you have to comply with emission -
Your best economic bet for a one-time tune by a dyno/tuner will be Uprev

your best bet if you want to tune the car yourself will be a haltech piggyback. Uprev will allow you to tune the car yourself but you're looking around $600 to $800 for the licenses to do so.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Duffman9465

Ok. I was under the impression that a UTEC was plug and play with downloaded maps. When I spoke with uprev, they said that because I'm NA, they would tune it over email and the $550 cost included that tuning and included the license. So that's sounding it may be the best option over a UTEC
Old 04-27-2020, 08:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

yea - UTEC is a good platform but it's pretty old.

Uprev is good if you want one tune and you're good. If you want the ability to change maps whenever you want (ehhhhh...uprev gives you three maps to cycle through) but if you want countless map and the ability to change parameters whenever you want than look into a haltech piggyback. Theres one on FB marketplace and on here and the guy is located in Denver. I think he wants $800 - which is a fair price - if you can get it for $600 it'd be a deal.

Many tuners in Denver will know both Uprev and Haltech and they are easy to tune.

An E-tune from Uprev is a step in the right direction but they'll only tune you to 60% what a dyno tune will yeild you (both options will be plenty safe). If it was me I'd buy the license and have a local tuner tune the car for you. Feel free to give me a shout and I can give my experience of tuners in Denver.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:48 AM
Duffman9465

Have you heard of the shop 5250 in Longmont? I think I remember seeing they tune with uprev. Thats the closest shop to me. Other than that, uprev's website said that the next closest shop would be in Parker. Which is almost a 3 hour drive on a good day
Old 04-28-2020, 07:58 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Have you heard of the shop 5250 in Longmont? I think I remember seeing they tune with uprev. Thats the closest shop to me. Other than that, uprev's website said that the next closest shop would be in Parker. Which is almost a 3 hour drive on a good day
Yea - theyre good, theres a member here named Sean / Enriquiez2020 (or something like that) he's from Ft. Collins and he knows that shop well. You may want to reach out to him and see his setup, he's using a Haltech. But Uprev is a good software for what you need. Yea, the shop in Parker is either MoFab or Daley Performance. Trevor Daley is the tuner and he is pretty cool, has plenty of experience tuning uprev and I personally know a few people that he has tuned. Nick at Mofab is pretty good too. Both great guys and you'll be happy with their work.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:32 PM
Duffman9465

Ok. All great info. I've never had to tune a Nissan before. This is my first Nissan project. I've noticed there isn't as many tuning options compared to other cars. I've seen a lot of "plug and play" haltech stuff that have a big price attached to it. Would that just be an ecu replacement and then tuned through any tuning shop? The most knowledge I have on Nissan tuning is with uprev so far. I'll try to reach out to that guy too and maybe he can help shed some light on other things I have going on too

Last edited by Duffman9465; 04-28-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:41 AM
iideadeyeii

First you need a wideband
If you aren't tuning yourself then you probably shouldn't get a UTEC, but there are plug an play maps. I used the N/A map before boost(unmodified) and the 550cc boost/timing map(modified)
Users here don't understand how much the UTEC can actually do because it was an uncommon option and more of a thing for Subaru's
Old 05-03-2020, 06:53 AM
Duffman9465

Ok. Wideband was in the eventual plan anyways. Now I do have another question that still pertains to the tuning question. My fuel pump just gave out. I opted for a performance fuel pump and now I'm wondering if I have to tune for that or just install a return setup for it. Would I have to tune either way? Or would the modifications to the hangar and regulator be enough?

Last edited by Duffman9465; 05-03-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:42 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Ok. All great info. I've never had to tune a Nissan before. This is my first Nissan project. I've noticed there isn't as many tuning options compared to other cars. I've seen a lot of "plug and play" haltech stuff that have a big price attached to it. Would that just be an ecu replacement and then tuned through any tuning shop? The most knowledge I have on Nissan tuning is with uprev so far. I'll try to reach out to that guy too and maybe he can help shed some light on other things I have going on too
Some of the Haltech stuff is compatible with your OEM ECU and will pass emissions (that's the good news) the bad news is that there has been some connectivity issues especially as it relates to the camshaft control. You'd buy the Haltech, install it, and take it to a tuner to have them tune it. You'd pay for the Haltech seperate from the dyno-rental and tuner's time. There's no license fees or anything like that with the haltech. You may need your own computer and need the (free) haltech software to tune with.

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Users here don't understand how much the UTEC can actually do because it was an uncommon option and more of a thing for Subaru's
yea, they never caught on...seems like Haltech and Greddy's Emanage/Emanage blue overshadowed Pro-EFI and UTEC.

Ok. Wideband was in the eventual plan anyways. Now I do have another question that still pertains to the tuning question. My fuel pump just gave out. I opted for a performance fuel pump and now I'm wondering if I have to tune for that or just install a return setup for it. Would I have to tune either way? Or would the modifications to the hangar and regulator be enough?
What fuel pump did you go with? You dont need to tune for a new fuel pump or a return system. The caveat being, if you get new injectors than you'll need to update this information in whichever tuning platform you choose.

<<<<5,000th post - woot woot!

Last edited by bealljk; 05-03-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:28 AM
Duffman9465

I bought the walbro 350lph (gss352g3) pump. I dont plan on upgrading injectors at the very moment. I have everything to modify the hanger and regulator. I also don't plan on adding a return system until I go FI and upgrade the fuel rails with that

Congrats on your 5000th post! Glad it was on mine!
Old 05-03-2020, 10:54 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I bought the walbro 350lph (gss352g3) pump. I dont plan on upgrading injectors at the very moment. I have everything to modify the hanger and regulator. I also don't plan on adding a return system until I go FI and upgrade the fuel rails with that

Congrats on your 5000th post! Glad it was on mine!
that 350lph will serve you well. I made 568hp on a 320lph so 350lph will take you about as far as you need to go (on a stock block). If you need any help with the install dont hesitate to reach out.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Duffman9465

Thats actually great news to hear on that pump. You think 600-650hp would be pushing it for that pump? Eventually plan to make that much power when I go FI. I'll for sure PM you if I have any issues installing the pump. I found a good writeup on it

http://www.christurnbull.com/project...-g35-fx35-etc/

Would there be anything different I should worry about with that?
Old 05-03-2020, 11:58 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I use this one but they are both good
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...x-haltech.html

a 350lph wont take you to 600hp...you'll need a 450 or 525 or a dual-pump setup.

So (and I say this respectably) if you are on a tight budget and/or limited funds you're gonna be capped at 425hp.

Roughly speaking:
300hp to 450hp - $5k to $10k
450hp to 600hp - $15 to $20k
600hp to 800hp - $20k to $40k
800hp to 1100hp - ~$50k+

So you can look for 600hp to 650hp but it'll be with a built block (forged internals, bottom end help, a little bit of head work, cams/springs/clips/etc, other misc items), a respectable turbo kit / exhaust, a capable ECU, cooling mods, fuel upgrades, tuning, and so on... (this excludes labor - labor will eat your lunch).

But if you're up for it and can source parts/kits piece by piece theres nothing stopping you (and dont take this post as discouragement but more as a reality check). If you're smart/meticulous/can follow instructions than you can build the block yourself (with the help of a machine shop), if you can install the kits onto the car you'll save quite a bit on labor

Old 05-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Duffman9465

I've sourced most of the parts I'd need for a build like that. I plan to take my time. I've built cars before, so I'm mostly confident in putting it together. Gunna buy the block with all the internals and heads. Looking at being capable of affording all that here soon, but taking care of other priorities first. I'm not looking to make it the fastest thing on the streets either. Just something fun to drive while also meaning business. The 350z was one of my childhood dreams and I aim to make it come to life. Figured I'd start with mostly mild mods for now and then build for FI when I'm ready. I'm holding an expectation of $25k when everything is all said and done
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (05-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Some questions about tuning NA