Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any body's tie rods wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 01:04 PM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Any body's tie rods wear out?

Collecting parts to keep me busy for the winter. Have to do the front ball joints so wondering if anybody has had to replace their tie rods?

Has anyone had them wear out?

I know some vehicles, like my van with 287,000 miles, literally never need tie rods because the suspension doesn't ever really load them. Is it this way with the 350Z?

Not into throwing away $100 on parts that aren't bad.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Chihuahuamaster

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

It will be a different story for every car. However, at 100k miles most of my front suspension links/ components were worn out. If the car is lower than stock height this will also affect the longevity of the components.

The only real way to check is to remove parts and check for play in the ball joints, etc...

When I replaced the ball joints I also replaced lower control arm, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, and sway bar end links. Your compression rod bushing may also be worn.

The only part I could have probably left alone were the outer tie rods, otherwise most of the bushings were blown.

Also you can find aftermarket peices that are cheaper than oem, with a grease-able fitting on them. I.e. Moog or something similar. At least for the tie rod end/ swaybar end-links.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:24 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chihuahuamaster
It will be a different story for every car. However, at 100k miles most of my front suspension links/ components were worn out. If the car is lower than stock height this will also affect the longevity of the components.

The only real way to check is to remove parts and check for play in the ball joints, etc...

When I replaced the ball joints I also replaced lower control arm, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, and sway bar end links. Your compression rod bushing may also be worn.

The only part I could have probably left alone were the outer tie rods, otherwise most of the bushings were blown.

Also you can find aftermarket peices that are cheaper than oem, with a grease-able fitting on them. I.e. Moog or something similar. At least for the tie rod end/ swaybar end-links.
Thanks, I will probably just leave them. I replaced everything else and the tie rods seem perfectly fine. Just didn't know if they were a slow wear item.