Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 02:00 PM
Rainy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cranks but won't start

hey guys I'm an experienced mechanic, but this car has got me stumped.

06 350z - Came to my shop as a no start diagnosis. Here is what I have done so far, any help is really appreciated !

Car cranks over strongly but won't start, and hardly even hiccups, doesn't want to start. When you put the gas pedal all the way down it seems like it hiccups a bit, trying to start ever so slightly.

I pulled all the wires, checking for spark at each one, wires have spark, and are in the correct order.

Pulled plugs and replaced with new

Fuel pump can be heard priming.

Sprayed starting fluid down into the intake via the throttle body, and also directly into the spark plug wells when I changed the plugs, no change at all.

Battery is good and charged

No check engine codes, and no security light. Trouble lights come on normally when you turn the key to power, then go off.

Really stumped here. Figured since I can see spark, it must be fuel/air, but no reaction to the starting fluid.

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by Rainy; 10-22-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:08 AM
LexD

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainy
Pulled plugs and replaced with Autolite platinum AP104
AP104 Does NOT fit 2006 350Z. I'd suggest sticking with the OEM NGK plugs.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:54 AM
Rainy

Originally Posted by LexD
AP104 Does NOT fit 2006 350Z. I'd suggest sticking with the OEM NGK plugs.

Im sorry I actually listed the wrong plugs! I did a 06 Taurus the same day and had the plugs in my head from that car. It got the correct plugs, still no idea whats up with it. At this point I'm thinking head gasket or internal issues in the motor, the oil has a strange smell to it. Not typical oil/coolant mix or gas/oil mix smell, but it is semi sweet smelling.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:19 PM
Tomek350Z

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

have you done a compression check?
Old 10-22-2020, 04:37 PM
Rainy

Originally Posted by Tomek350Z
have you done a compression check?
Not yet, was trying to eliminate the superficial parts/possibilities first before checking the motor itself, but its looking like somethings going on in that motor unless I'm missing something..

If the ECU was bad, there would likely be some signs elsewhere right? Check engine light, no spark, something? Everything seems totally normal aside from the oil smell and the no start.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Heritage

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

06 350z - Came to my shop as a no start diagnosis. Here is what I have done so far, any help is really appreciated !

Car cranks over strongly but won't start, and hardly even hiccups, doesn't want to start. When you put the gas pedal all the way down it seems like it hiccups a bit, trying to start ever so slightly.

I pulled all the wires, checking for spark at each one, wires have spark, and are in the correct order.

Sprayed starting fluid down into the intake via the throttle body, and also directly into the spark plug wells when I changed the plugs, no change at all.

No check engine codes, and no security light. Trouble lights come on normally when you turn the key to power, then go off.

Really stumped here. Figured since I can see spark, it must be fuel/air, but no reaction to the starting fluid.

Anybody have any ideas?
Have you read diagnostic codes? Like P1610-1615?

Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Rainy

Originally Posted by Heritage
Have you read diagnostic codes? Like P1610-1615?
It has no codes...
Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Anybody have any ideas?

When I need to have my car towed by AAA when I move, I unplug the ecm. The car will attempt to start, but will never start, so I get the tow. It tries to crank over so the tow driver won't try to jump the battery.

So maybe an issue with communications to the ecm. Check the ipdm and it's relays. I also fried my ecm once, took a heck of a while to diagnose, but the car would try to crank over but never would.