2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Track Car/Time Attack

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 04:53 AM
decrobinson1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Car/Time Attack

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting rid of my subaru (its currently a daily and track car) to buy 2 cars, one being a economical daily driver and the other being a track car that I can also enter into a few events. It is becoming an issue relying on it getting me to work now i am working on and tracking the car more and a new house move means I have more car space. I have previously owned a Z and regretted selling it since.

The Subaru is too heavy on consumables as its pretty heavy (and not the most reliable transmission or engine), and also the AWD system means nearly everything is tripled over a 2wd car as it has more of everything component wise (diffs etc...) so i'm looking at getting back into a RWD car for track.

Currently I'm torn between a few cars, mainly a nissan 350z (as I've had one previously and know they are pretty nice to drive) and an MX-5, however I would like it to be boosted.

So my main questions are:

1. Has anyone who has driven both got a decent comparison between the 2 and which will be better

2. Best year to get as a track car (preferably the most reliable)

3. If anyone is in TA what class do these cars generally sit in and how do they preform (I has my 350 before i starting being able to go to the track)

Thanks for any input
Old 10-22-2020, 06:30 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by decrobinson1999
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting rid of my subaru (its currently a daily and track car) to buy 2 cars, one being a economical daily driver and the other being a track car that I can also enter into a few events. It is becoming an issue relying on it getting me to work now i am working on and tracking the car more and a new house move means I have more car space. I have previously owned a Z and regretted selling it since.

The Subaru is too heavy on consumables as its pretty heavy (and not the most reliable transmission or engine), and also the AWD system means nearly everything is tripled over a 2wd car as it has more of everything component wise (diffs etc...) so i'm looking at getting back into a RWD car for track.

Currently I'm torn between a few cars, mainly a nissan 350z (as I've had one previously and know they are pretty nice to drive) and an MX-5, however I would like it to be boosted.

1. Has anyone who has driven both got a decent comparison between the 2 and which will be better

3. If anyone is in TA what class do these cars generally sit in and how do they preform (I has my 350 before i starting being able to go to the track)

Thanks for any input
1. Having driven the ND model MX5, I think it would make a good track car. Excellent handling, brakes and feel, it lacks power (FI may help this). The Z33 should be cheaper, and offer a plethora of aftermarket parts for track use. As a Nissan racer, I prefer the Nissan option.

2. I think the DE-powered coupes (03-06) are cheaper, easier and lighter to run. They don't get as hot as the HR-powered Zs, and require less maintenance for a track car.

3. Not sure what you mean as "TA", is that a sanctioning body? I race in SCCA and can give some input on classing for road racing there.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts
Default answers to your questions

Sorry I have not driven both.

Best would be to get the HR motor which has extra bump in power, earlier and later models are in the same class so might as well get the one with slightly more power. Once you have reached the car's limit the extra power can carry you maybe a second faster. Transmission on later Z's are a bit more robust and stout to beat on.

Depends who you are running TA with. SCCA? you would most likely be Sport3 with minimal modifications. GTA or Gridlife? Not too sure there. Once you start doing any engine mods and/or suspension you most likely will get bumped up in class, this is where the Z will struggle to compete with other modern cars in its class. However, a friend of mine runs Sport3 in SCCA classing rules and he just finished 3rd in his class out of 15 or so other cars at a SCCA TA event.
Another friend at the same event in tuner class placed 3rd in his class (not sure how many cars were in his class)
Me on the other hand was dumb and added a plenum spacer which bumped me up into Prepped2 class and have a heck of a lot harder competition. The plenum spacer is a modification that goes after the throttle body which bumped me up and the gains I get from it do not really warrant the class bump. I might remove that and de-tune for no spacer next season to run tuner class to be more competitive. You can go to SCCA time trials website to see what class the stock Z is placed in and the surrounding cars in that class.

Edit: also interested to hear what dkmura has to say.

Last edited by Bak3rme; 10-22-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:37 PM
260DET

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It looks like the OP lives in West Yorkshire, England, so I guess his time attack question relates to classes there.

I have not driven a MX-5/Miata but they have a well earned reputation for reliable, economical, fun racing. They are very much different to a 350Z which is a significantly heavier car with all that entails, there some very useful race car threads here which will give you lots of info on them.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:45 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

I have to agree with DK. DE>HR unless you are going for raw numbers, cheaper and far less problems.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:56 AM
decrobinson1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
1. Having driven the ND model MX5, I think it would make a good track car. Excellent handling, brakes and feel, it lacks power (FI may help this). The Z33 should be cheaper, and offer a plethora of aftermarket parts for track use. As a Nissan racer, I prefer the Nissan option.

2. I think the DE-powered coupes (03-06) are cheaper, easier and lighter to run. They don't get as hot as the HR-powered Zs, and require less maintenance for a track car.

3. Not sure what you mean as "TA", is that a sanctioning body? I race in SCCA and can give some input on classing for road racing there.

Sorry, I should have just typed it properly TA is just time attack, however I'm in the UK so SSCA doesnt exist. I have linked the UK time attack site below, hope this link provides a bit more clarity on grouping etc... from your perspective

https://www.timeattack.co.uk/wp-cont...sSpecSheet.pdf