Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2003 Passenger Door Will Not unlock stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 11:39 PM
West350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Passenger Door Will Not unlock stuck closed

Sorry, this car is actually a G35 but same body. The issue is the Passenger door was locked, the cable was not connected or broken to allow normal unlock. The passenger door does not have a key to unlock with. The passenger side Door Actuator would not work to allow a electric unlock or key fob unlock so basically, bad situation. I searched everywhere I could think of. I did find posts where people recommended a slim Jim be used. I did not find where anyone actually used a slim jim to unlock the door.
Background, I bought this car damaged, only has 89,000 miles but went through a bad period, owner let a needy friend borrow it for 6 months and he messed up many things. I am working through issues to get it back on the road. I thought I would share my solution to this problem. I did not break anything, not even one of the door clips. Everything came apart properly and if I had to do this again I think I could unlock this door in about 20 minutes.
First, you can't remove the door panel from the inside of the car, you can remove all the bolts that hold it on, there are 3, this is necessary for step 2.
I tried to take pictures of the tools I used to open this door, I hope I can attach them to this note. I pulled apart the driver door also, it will get a new actuator as soon as it comes in. Door locks did not work on that side either. With the drive door apart and open I tried many ways to unlock it from the top, tried many different tools. Could not unlock it even when I reached inside the door and tried to flip that lock. Did not work. With this knowledge I went back to the passenger side.
I took a few door wedges/shims. You can buy these at the hardware store, they are used when mounting house doors to get them square. Wooden shims about 12" long, tapered from a fine point to a thickness just wider than 1/4" at the top.
I took one shim and wedged it in between the door panel and the door frame on the inside of the door glass. At first I thought, no way will this move enough to get in there. I added a second shim about 2" away from the first and the gap was getting better, so far I had not broken anything. With this almost 1/4" gap I tried to fish inside for the factory door latch and door lock wires. No luck, not enough room. I added a second shim right on top of the existing 2 shims in the door, expanded my gap to more than 3/8, scared me because the door was making noises as I did this. Again tried to fish out the wires with no luck. The door panel is now bowed into the car cabin and starting to peel away from the window opening. I added a third shim now expanding the gap to almost a 1/2". At this point the door panel was bending into the interior and I am starting to get room to fish for the 2 control cables but I still could not get in there, the door panel is molded/shaped to fit quite well and even pushed back a 1/2" I could do nothing to open that door.
At this point I went nuclear. I figured I can't get in, I have been very careful and have not broken anything but I can't get that door open. As a last chance, at this point assuming I would ruin the door panel to get in I went and grabbed a couple of my Pry Bars, the steel pry bars you use in carpentry to pry boards apart or pull nails. I slipped the pry bar inside the gap I had already opened. With the pry bar now on the inside of the door and putting pressure on the door panel I was able to lift it slightly while prying it back inside the car. The upper part of the panel released from the upper door opening and opened about 1 1/2" into the car. It still can't come off because the lower part of the door panel is tight against the door weather stripping but the upper part is now open. I used some wooden small blocks to hold the door panel away from the door frame. With all this new room, and no broken parts I was able to run a wire, little heavier than a coat hanger wire with a hook down into the door, grabbed the door release cable, pulled it up and I was able to unlock this stuck door. Once unlocked I could open it from the outside, carefully opened the door without damaging the panel that is now 1/2 removed. With the door open the rest of the panel was easily removed in the normal fashion and I am still amazed the panel did not break, tear or distort. It is fine. If I was smarter I could have filmed and made a You tube on this subject. I hope this helps some other poor sole that is stuck in this situation. I will try and attach photos. Mark