Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wiring Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 03:57 PM
Ethan Lacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Issue?

I just recently replaced my clutch on my 2005. After we had everything bolted up and ready to start we realized that when my headlight switch is turned on it kills the battery power to the car. Also, when the clutch pedal is pushed in to start the car it looses power. The lights on the dash will be lit up but once the clutch is pushed in all the way or the headlight switch is on it does not have any power. I believe it may be a ground issue from when we connected everything back onto the transmission but I do not know where to check for the ground issue. Any suggestions would help. This is my first time doing a clutch so it has been down for quite awhile and it's starting to get frustrating.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sounds like you have some back-checking to do. Was the car fully functional before you started this clutch job? Did you do any other work during the clutch install? Do you have any aftermarket equipment installed on the car?? Such as aftermarket stereo? headlights? lights? etc?

Get a copy of the factory service manual (there are downloads on the internet) and look in the Power / Ground / Circuits (Section PG) and reference page 44 for a ground diagram on the car.

Seems like you have alot going on and I dont know that this is a ground issue - there are only two sensors on the transmission??
The following users liked this post:
Ethan Lacey (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 PM
Ethan Lacey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So while the clutch has been getting installed I have put in a new intake and spark plugs. I also have aftermarket headlights and stereo which where both installed prior to the clutch work. The car was fully functional before we started on the clutch. After the car was not starting today I looked some stuff up and one of the issues that was a possibility for the clutch pedal killing the power was a bad ground, I then looked up what could possibly be killing the power through the headlight switch and it also recommended a bad ground. I will take a look at the service manual tommorow and hopefully be able to take a look at the car. I just wanted to kind of get a idea of what I need to be looking for. I really appreciate the help!