Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch switch is not engaging all the time...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Beeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch switch is not engaging all the time...

Sometimes the car won't start. I checked the clutch switch and sure enough it isn't being depressed all the way by the clutch pedal. If I try to start the car while pushing the clutch switch with my finger the car starts every time. I assume that means the switch is fine but the clutch pedal or switch mount needs to be adjusted. I looked quickly at the clutch pedal assembly and it doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Is it adjustable?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Beeker

Well tonight the car wouldn't start even with me pushing the clutch switch by hand. I had to push it in and out a few times before the car turned over.

I assume this means the switch is the problem. Is the switch difficult to replace?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Beeker

Not one person here has had a problem with the clutch switch?

I guess I am just unlucky!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Beeker

I am almost positive the problem is the switch. I got stuck a few times. Even pushing the switch all the way down with my finger while holding the key in the start position didn't always work. I would have to push the switch like 25 times before the car would start.

After reading the service manual I found out the switch that allows the car to start is called the "clutch interlock switch". I ordered a new switch from a local dealer. Hopefully that fixes the problem for me.

I still can't believe now one here has had this problem. I can't be that unlucky!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

yes it is adjustable all you have to do is loop a wire from one terminal to the other one and if it works then its just the switch
Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Beeker

I installed the new switch today. It is now starting normally.

Before I installed the new switch I removed it from the bracket. Then I tried to start the car while pushing the switch by hand. Sure enough the car wouldn't turn over. After hitting the switch 10 times it finally turned over. Then it wouldn't turn over again for like 15 tries. I then connected the new switch and the car turned over every time I pushed the switch.

Needless to say the problem was the switch. Why it failed after only 23,000 miles is beyond me. I am just glad that the problem is fixed. I got stuck for 5 minutes at a gas startion last week. I felt like an idiot. Car was just detailed, shinning in the sun, and it wouldn't start. How embarrasing.

Anyway, it appears the problem is fixed. Maybe someone else here will have this problem and find this thread. I still find it strange that I am the first person here to have this problem.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 PM
cellphoneguy

I had the same problem a year ago. Spray some wd40 on it and worked fine. Started acting up again recently and I found your post via search. So your not alone! I guess Ill just have to replace the switch.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Beeker

When I removed the old switch I could tell it was defective. It felt rough when I pushed the switch with my finger. The new switch was nice and smooth.

Replacing the switch is very easy to do. You need to set the proper distance so the switch is pushed all the way in put not so far that the clutch pedal puts pressure on the switch housing. You will see what I mean when you look at how the switch is installed. Just make sure you order the correct switch. It is the one that is enagaged when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. If you go to the dealer they should be able to pull up a pic that shows the correct switch. I believe it is called the clutch interlock switch.

Last edited by Beeker; 10-13-2008 at 10:19 AM.