Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nismo H-Brace

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 03:17 AM
Teddygrammin

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nismo H-Brace

I've been searching for a used h-brace from the 07-08 Nismo because I refuse to pay over a thousand for new. I haven't found one yet so I've been toying around with the idea of making them. I'm trying to gauge if there's any interest if I were to make a batch of 10 braces. I also need some help: I would need to borrow someone's brace from their car to develop it. I could probably do it without one but I'm trying to save some time and i'd like to make it 100% accurate from the OEM measurements. If anyone is willing to help, I would pay for shipping both ways and provide a free brace. I did some research and saw that Stillen made a few of these a while back but doesn't anymore. I think it would be a fun little project so let me know what you think.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:16 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddygrammin
I've been searching for a used h-brace from the 07-08 Nismo because I refuse to pay over a thousand for new. I haven't found one yet so I've been toying around with the idea of making them. I'm trying to gauge if there's any interest if I were to make a batch of 10 braces. I also need some help: I would need to borrow someone's brace from their car to develop it. I could probably do it without one but I'm trying to save some time and i'd like to make it 100% accurate from the OEM measurements. If anyone is willing to help, I would pay for shipping both ways and provide a free brace. I did some research and saw that Stillen made a few of these a while back but doesn't anymore. I think it would be a fun little project so let me know what you think.
Admire the gumption and enthusiasm but a couple things to consider.

- Z1 offers the OE piece for around $400. (Unless we are talking about a different animal than the Nismo-only F&R chassis anti-flex struts.)

- If one is adding the front brace, the corresponding rear brace should be added.

- While I have owned two Nismos and have great faith in their chassis and underpinnings, I am not sure the addition of the chassis braces - by themselves - is going to amount to much unless the rest of the chassis is reworked as well to take advantage of additional stiffness along the front and rear horizontal flex points.

- I am not sure that this is a universally applicable piece as not all Z’s have the proper mounting points. Not sure about this but seem to recall reading that.

But if I’m wrong on this, more power.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:44 AM
Teddygrammin

@MicVelo I’m talking about the front upper h brace, not the front and rear Autech performance dampers. When you go to the brace on Z1 it gives you the option to select either the right, left or center but when selecting all three it becomes $1433. The description is just to stiffen the radiator support and from what I understand there is no supplemental rear brace. I wouldn’t think there would need to be a rear either, because there’s minimal flex in the rear. The front tends to flex more under load. I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel with this piece, just replicate and improve upon OEM.

It was only made for the 07-08 models and I can see there being a bit of a fitment issue with 03-06 because of the location of the coolant overflow and power steering reservoir but minor modifications could be made to accommodate that difference.

The mounting points appear to be the same across all years. The top attaches to the strut tower brace bolts and the lower to the radiator support bolts where the intake duct holes are.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:12 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Ahh, OK, my early morning, pre-coffee mind was confused. Been a while since my last Niz and forgot about the two diff pieces. Carry on!

$1400-something?? Yeesh, no kidding that’s insane!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,097 Likes on 777 Posts

This sounds like a fun undertaking. What material are you going to make the braces out of?

Carbon fiber?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Teddygrammin

A36 steel, I’m thinking 1/4 inch thickness, I don’t think I can go any thicker than that because of clearance and weight. I’d have it either waterjet or plasma cut and bent according to what’s needed.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:20 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Is this similar to the Stillen Brace of the same shape and placement? Do you know if the stillen brace and/or Nismo brace is the same for the DE and HR?

I have the aforementioned stillen brace (minus the center piece) if you want to buy it let me know.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Teddygrammin

Originally Posted by bealljk
Is this similar to the Stillen Brace of the same shape and placement? Do you know if the stillen brace and/or Nismo brace is the same for the DE and HR?

I have the aforementioned stillen brace (minus the center piece) if you want to buy it let me know.
Yes it would be like the Stillen brace. I’m not sure why they stopped making them and why no one else makes them, which is why I’m interested in producing my own. If I can get the side pieces I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult to measure the center piece. Message me with a price.

Nissan didn’t make this brace for the DE motor unfortunately but I have a friend with a DE so I can test fit the brace.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:59 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Does that thing even do anything?
Old 12-30-2020, 06:21 PM
Teddygrammin

@DarkZ03 honestly I have no idea but if Nissan spent the time to develop it, it wouldn’t be counter productive. I can guarantee it’s not just cosmetic.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:32 PM
DarkZ03

There just isn't a whole lot of chassis there it's all bumper and reinforcement for the radiator. I would not be surprised if it was just as a way to reinforce the longer bumper.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:12 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think it does - but you're right most the stress in the chassis are simmer down forward of the tower brace.

selling these bad boys to Teddy - payment made and I’ll be getting them out today/tomorrow

Last edited by bealljk; 12-31-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:30 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Does that thing even do anything?
I wouldn't expect it to do much on a non-Nismo non-seam welded Z33.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:06 PM
DarkZ03

That's what I'm thinking.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:04 AM
Teddygrammin

Wether or not it's a seam welded Nismo has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the brace. It will function the same regardless of which model it's installed in.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:43 AM
Dan Garcia

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Default stillen brace

here's a pic of one installed. ( from long ago )

The following users liked this post:
bealljk (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:38 PM
Kwame

Wether or not it's a seam welded Nismo has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the brace. It will function the same regardless of which model it's installed in.
You know this based on what? I’m not here to argue with you, in fact more power to you.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:15 PM
Teddygrammin

All the unibody seams were welded on a Nismo. You don’t have many seems from the strut towers forward, meaning that the bolt on, composite radiator support would have the same stiffness as a non-Nismo without that h-brace. The mounting points are the same so it would make sense to me that a non-Nismo would benefit just as much in that specific area. I don’t have any proof, I’m just going off my knowledge of structural repair and chassis setup.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:13 PM
Kwame

All the unibody seams were welded on a Nismo. You don’t have many seems from the strut towers forward, meaning that the bolt on, composite radiator support would have the same stiffness as a non-Nismo without that h-brace. The mounting points are the same so it would make sense to me that a non-Nismo would benefit just as much in that specific area. I don’t have any proof, I’m just going off my knowledge of structural repair and chassis setup.
Seems like there wouldn’t be a benefit either way from a chassis stiffening perspective; like you said it mounts to the composite radiator support. So what’s the point of all this? I think DarkZ03 might have been on the right track when he/she stated earlier that it might be additional support for the longer Nismo front bumper that creates additional downforce.

FWIW besides Stillen, back in the day Altered Atmosphere Motorsports and ARC made versions of this piece that never really took off. I hope you have better luck if you go through with this project.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:15 PM
DarkZ03

I'm a guy and yes, I'm like 95%sure that doesn't do anything to stiffen up the chassis. I'm a mechanic and very much pay attention to details, the front core support on the HRs are slightly weaker because of the dual intake ducts, that paired with the long nose and extra downforce is most likely why it was added. Hence why the regular car doesn't have it.
The following users liked this post:
Kwame (01-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Nismo H-Brace