Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: Is it the mechanic's fault?
Yes
50.00%
No
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Valve cover collar broken and oil leaking into spark plug area

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 04:28 PM
tiffanyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Valve cover collar broken and oil leaking into spark plug area

I had my valve cover gaskets done a while back at a shop and have had misfiring issues since then. Today while trying to track down the cause of it I pulled out the ignition coils from the left side of the engine and there was oil completely filling all of the spark plug areas to where you almost can not see the top of the spark plug. Also, I had removed the valve cover on the right side and broke the collars while trying to put the cover back on in the exact same way that the collars on the left valve cover were broken. I called the guy that worked on the valve covers and he insured me that this is a common issue that he sees all the time. However, I work at an auto body and paint shop where we also have gas and diesel mechanic shops. So not only do I see a lot of different cars with different problems, I do work on a lot of very old, original, classic cars and I have yet to encounter an issue like this. So I wanted to post on here to ask and see if this is a common issue or if it is indeed something that he did when he put the valve covers back on. I will attach a picture below as well for reference. You can see how the collar is broken and has been readjusted to where it partially covers the tube open to access the spark plugs. Which is exactly what happened on the right side when I broke it putting it back on.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:47 AM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If that shop installed brand new quality valve covers then this issue is definitely their fault. Having oil in the spark plug wells is very normal if you have put thousands of miles on the valve covers and the seals have degraded (even then they aren't so bad that you cant see the top of the spark plug). Since you just had these installed and did nothing but drive the car normally afterwards, the shop messed up and should help you rectify this.