Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fuel pump issue???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 05:20 AM
chrisfollosco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump issue???

Recently driving my 2006 350z just got done replacing head gasket at shop, spark plug and coil packs at home gap perfectly, went out for a test drives couples days after that 1/4 of gas left keep in mind my car doesn’t let me fill past 3/4 the car will think it’s topped off if i try to add anymore, but gauge goes down correctly when burning fuel, anyways 1/4 of gas left doing pulls this day out of nowhere 1-2 gear pull my engine stalled no gas no steering. radios and lights work but when i turn the key to turn on the car i don’t hear my fuel pump priming anymore, okay so i bought a new one twice because the first one was faulty and i’m thinking this second one is faulty too because i’m still not hearing the fuel pump prime all my fuses are good any help???? thinking about getting another fuel pump (free warranty) but i don’t want to keep switching out fuel pumps if that’s not the issue, also extra info the car cranks but doesn’t start sounds like it wants fuel also i probably only have 5 gallons inside the tank rn, and i’m willing to buy more gas if some how that will help crank up my fuel pump?? but i feel like automatically i should still hear it trying to prime even if it’s low on gas (ik it’s not healthy) but still
Old 07-16-2021, 07:16 AM
Sundown72

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

You could be out of fuel.

I don’t mean that to be a jerk, but there’s a lot of reasons the Z would indicate that it has 1/4 tank, but is actually empty.

The saddle tank arrangement in the Z means you have two fuel level sending units: one on the pump assembly on the USDM passenger side, and one standalone sender on the USDM driver side. If the standalone unit behind the driver is bad the gauge won’t drop below 1/4 tank, even when empty.

Another problem could be that the float and lever arm on the fuel pump assembly is stuck. Because the tank access is tight, the contacts for the float level can get bumped around and stuck during install. This happened to me and I got stranded on the highway with 1/4 tank showing on the gauge and no fuel in the tank.

Last thought would be that the crossover Venturi from the driver side to the passenger side is either unhooked or blocked. It’s how fuel is transferred from the side without the pump (driver) to the side with the pump (passenger).

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2021, 10:47 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,293 Likes on 1,017 Posts

^^ All good points

concerning your fuel pump ... if you're not hearing it prime, yes it could be the pump itself, it could be the fuel pump relay, or (as mentioned) the fuse. Double check your wiring to ensure it's plugged in tightly/no loose connections.

Further ... you could hook up a volt meter to the wire harness outside of the tank and see if the wire is providing 12volts of power - this would be a very good thing to eliminate and tell you that it's the pump or the wiring within the basket.