Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cost of modding your new Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 07:43 PM
dme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not hating on comments; my bad for posting with totals without the narrative behind each item. In hindsight, I was too vague. Some, or many costs may seem too high. Beyond what I already posted previously, lets talk about the Front fender. I hate the stock fender. It looks like a catfish mouth or a muppet. I chose to get the OEM Nismo V3 fender. Check it out; it will cost ~$2000 with ship and tax for the part. I could have easily gone with something half to a third the cost for some fiberglass knockoff. I've been down that road before though, and specifically got the OEM for quality and fitment. You can go whatever way you want, but I'm giving you my reason for my decision. I also had the shop badge delete the fender (fill in the center depression) and with paint and mounting cost another $1000. There were some rock dings and scratches on the hood, so decided to get then fixed at the same time for another $500. So the $3500 may seem high, but for the result, it looks 1000% times better, I am not a DIY'er so more than happy to pay pros to do their magic. Could you get your front done for less? Of course, but I would guess, mine looks better. Won't waste your time posting again, have a good day
Old 08-24-2021, 07:52 PM
dme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Points noted, but there's no way in hell I'm upgrading my diff to a 3:9 ratio LSD on my own. If you can, then I wish you were a friend of mine ...
Old 08-24-2021, 08:00 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,286 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by dme
Won't waste your time posting again, have a good day
Do whatever, man, yer still letting opinions soak into your skin; but like I said, the amount of “grief” one lets roll off your back, the more you’ll get out of this forum. There’s FAR more serious amount of talent here than all of that very popular social media book place.

Personally, found your OP informative to some of the newbies just getting into the Z. But not with a defensive chip on yer shoulder.

The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
Bak3rme (08-25-2021), GreyZ (08-25-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 10:27 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by dme
Points noted, but there's no way in hell I'm upgrading my diff to a 3:9 ratio LSD on my own. If you can, then I wish you were a friend of mine ...
I would help my friends, just take my spare pumpkin with the new parts to the driveline shop and it’s around $300 for it to be built. Then go back to my house and i would swap the pumpkin for them and normally install solid bushings. Would take me a couple hours.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 AM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by dme
Not hating on comments; my bad for posting with totals without the narrative behind each item. In hindsight, I was too vague. Some, or many costs may seem too high. Beyond what I already posted previously, lets talk about the Front fender. I hate the stock fender. It looks like a catfish mouth or a muppet. I chose to get the OEM Nismo V3 fender. Check it out; it will cost ~$2000 with ship and tax for the part. I could have easily gone with something half to a third the cost for some fiberglass knockoff. I've been down that road before though, and specifically got the OEM for quality and fitment. You can go whatever way you want, but I'm giving you my reason for my decision. I also had the shop badge delete the fender (fill in the center depression) and with paint and mounting cost another $1000. There were some rock dings and scratches on the hood, so decided to get then fixed at the same time for another $500. So the $3500 may seem high, but for the result, it looks 1000% times better, I am not a DIY'er so more than happy to pay pros to do their magic. Could you get your front done for less? Of course, but I would guess, mine looks better. Won't waste your time posting again, have a good day
Don't let some discussion on differing opinions keep you from posting. You brought an interesting view point with the prices to back it up. Personally I am good with the mechanical side of working on the car and have quite a bit of experience in that area, but on the body side I am not and the price for me to have the v3 nismo front end would look very similar to what you have posted.

Personally your post just has me wondering how I can source a clean OEM V3 front without shelling out 3500, which will probably be a bit of a challenge.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:39 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

OP came in hot and left hot.
@GreyZ Shine auto has one FRP for $1500 and their quality is usually pretty good from what I've read. You can wrap it to keep cost of painting down and install yourself. If you were local it would be under 2k if you are able to pick up the bumper from them and wrap it yourself. But if you add in convenient fees (paint, install, shipping) you might end up at 3k!

Last edited by Bak3rme; 08-25-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:41 PM
GreyZ

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
OP came in hot and left hot.
@GreyZ Shine auto has one FRP for $1500 and their quality is usually pretty good from what I've read.

I have seen theirs. I am partial to getting an OEM one rather than a copy.

Last edited by GreyZ; 08-25-2021 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DarkZ03 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 02:26 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

I'm assuming it's the bumper, if it is just go with OEM. All aftermarket have problems and aren't perfect or require tons of work to get it right. I can only imagine the $125 LSD wasn't a real LSD or it was a hell of a steal, viscous ain't a real LSD. I'm a mechanic and I do most of my work but not all of it since I don't have access to a lift or an alignment rack, if I did I would do it all.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:08 PM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

OP, thanks for posting your experience and prices. I always enjoy seeing how other people approach builds. As far as things being expensive, don’t worry about it. Price is relative. As long as you feel comfortable with what you paid thats all that matters.