Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help with wipers on 2006 350z convertable

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:10 AM
Bwcates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wipers on 2006 350z convertable

OK, I need some help with my wiper situation on the 2006 convertable 350z I just purchased. The wipers go on and off sparraticaly as soon as the key is turned to the on position. I have to pull the fuse to get it to stop. I have replaced both the switch on the steering column and the wiper motor but it still does the same thing. I have looked everywhere online and cannot find anything for a wiper relay, or anyone else that is having this issue that didn't solve it by replacing what I have already replaced. I cannot get the inspection done without wipers. Anyone have a clue on what to look for and where it is located?
Old 10-11-2021, 03:45 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Has the factory wiring been messed with (after market alarm or other accessories installed)? At this point you may need to look at a detailed wiring diagram and start troubleshooting the wiper circuit. It shouldn't be overly complicated, but I must admit, I've never heard of an issue like this before on a 350Z. You're 100% positive the column switch is in the off-position? I've occasionally bumped the lever while detailing the car and been startled by the wipers activating as soon as I turn the key to acc. Push the lever to the top/up and release to make sure.
-Icer
Old 10-11-2021, 05:59 PM
Bwcates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
Has the factory wiring been messed with (after market alarm or other accessories installed)? At this point you may need to look at a detailed wiring diagram and start troubleshooting the wiper circuit. It shouldn't be overly complicated, but I must admit, I've never heard of an issue like this before on a 350Z. You're 100% positive the column switch is in the off-position? I've occasionally bumped the lever while detailing the car and been startled by the wipers activating as soon as I turn the key to acc. Push the lever to the top/up and release to make sure.
-Icer
As far as I can tell, no the wiring has not been messed with. It has, however, been sitting out in the elements for a couple of years. It only has 95,000 miles on It and the engine starts and runs good but I know it was sitting for a while. The top is completely messed up and will need to be replaced and the interior was nasty. While I was waiting on the parts to arrive I yanked the seats and did a thorough cleaning.. Yes, I am positive the switch was in the off position. I went through every setting. it did seem to switch speeds, when it was running. I was hoping someone could identify which relay the windshiled wipers went through. I did find an electrical diagram of thr wiper system but it didn't list where the relay was, just that there was a wiper relay somewhere. None of the fuse box diagrams I found say anything about the wiper relay, only list the fuse location.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:35 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

So it looks like the BCM (Body Control Module) actually handles the timing of the wiper motor. As far as I can tell, there is no specific "wiper relay" although the diagrams reference such a thing, what the diagrams actually show are fuse locations, and NOT relays. See LINK. "BCM Controls Front Wiper LO, HI, and Intermittent operation." You may actually have a problem with the BCM, or the wiring connected to it. If the soft-top was a mess and the interior suffered water intrusion, then you may have some corrosion issues around the BCM harness plugs. I would have a look at the BCM and see if there's any signs of corrosion, damage, or tampering. The BCM is located in the driver side footwell next to the interior fuse box.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 10-12-2021, 07:28 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Bad BCM. Seen this before when I was at the dealership. The relay is a solid state relay inside the BCM. It can't be replaced. Most likely, you'll need to replace the BCM. If you buy a used one from a car with the EXACT same configuration as yours, you can just swap it yourself. If you get one from a car that's not identical to yours you'll have to have the dealer read your current configuration, swap the BCM, then write your configuration to the replacement BCM.
The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (10-12-2021)