Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Which car do I get!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:54 PM
proxiimate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which car do I get!?

I want to get a 350z as my “first” car when I get my license. (I already know insurance will be a gigantic pain in the ***) ive always been into drifting, donuts, etc. I just want it to screw around with, show off, add a turbo or two and make that baby slide! I already have a dodge that was given, but id like to know which year / model to get.

which model would I get with what year to be able do burnout, donuts, etc while having the ability to add a turbo or two.

would enthusiast be the right choice because it has TCS? I wouldnt care for stuff such as the heated seats , because id swap those out, and stuff in that aspect if that makes sense.

if anyone could tell me which one id want to get , and where to get it (not to expensive)?

im sorry I ramble, I just want to know what to get @-@
The following users liked this post:
rennat (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

Originally Posted by proxiimate
I want to get a 350z as my “first” car when I get my license. (I already know insurance will be a gigantic pain in the ***) ive always been into drifting, donuts, etc. I just want it to screw around with, show off, add a turbo or two and make that baby slide! I already have a dodge that was given, but id like to know which year / model to get.

which model would I get with what year to be able do burnout, donuts, etc while having the ability to add a turbo or two.

would enthusiast be the right choice because it has TCS? I wouldnt care for stuff such as the heated seats , because id swap those out, and stuff in that aspect if that makes sense.

if anyone could tell me which one id want to get , and where to get it (not to expensive)?

any model will slide into a telephone pole on thanksgiving with an inexperienced driver
The following 4 users liked this post by travlee:
DarkZ03 (01-26-2022), Jap*vette (01-25-2022), terrasmak (01-25-2022), WYZIWYG (01-29-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 05:20 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Did Dugan have offspring?
Old 01-25-2022, 09:23 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

I recommend this
The following 2 users liked this post by iideadeyeii:
Jap*vette (01-25-2022), jhc (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 05:27 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Longevity doesn’t matter with drifters, car issues expendable. Buy one that will last till you total it
Old 01-26-2022, 07:17 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

A silver 2 door with power windows from 2003-2006 is best for turbo and drifting!
I like banana pudding.
Old 01-26-2022, 07:23 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
A silver 2 door with power windows from 2003-2006 is best for turbo and drifting!
I like banana pudding.
I got one of those for sale in vegas
jhc (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 07:36 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by proxiimate
I want to get a 350z as my “first” car when I get my license. (I already know insurance will be a gigantic pain in the ***) ive always been into drifting, donuts, etc. I just want it to screw around with, show off, add a turbo or two and make that baby slide! I already have a dodge that was given, but id like to know which year / model to get. which model would I get with what year to be able do burnout, donuts, etc while having the ability to add a turbo or two.

Alright Prox … I’m gonna be nice and not totally **** on you post …

How much money do you have to spend on getting this 350z?

The reality is, the Z chassis is not the best choice for your first car or for inexperienced drivers or budget-minded drivers … nothing related to this car is inexpensive.

1. These cars are becoming more and more expensive to buy … unless you want to spend $5k to $10k plan on buying something that will need work. The good news here is you will likely break it and you will be fixing it on your own.

2. If you want to get into the drift scene (formally or informally) it will come with costs and consequences …
-formally(legally, on a track/drift pad/sauctioned event) you will burn through tires … plan on one set every 3 to 5 passes … there are other setup costs like a trailer, tow rig, chassis upgrades, engine mods/tuning, repairs, event fees, fuel … the list goes on and on… so plan on spending quite a bit of cash to do this
-informally(illegally) - probably the dumbest thing you can do…you may not get caught or hurt anyone/yourself, but when you do the consequences will be huge. You’ll likely total this car that you havent bought (or rendered it useless), you could damage someone elses car or property (which you will be responsible for), there are legal consequences when you get caught (community service, fines, legal fees, etc).

3. Adding turbo/superchargers is pretty expensive … above and beyond the cost of the car you’ll spend $5k to $10k for a basic turbo kit, install, tuning, and maintenance,

4. The best place to look is going to be facebook marketplace … you will need cash and alot of it. Everyone selling a z chassis (or any other in-demand chassis) is going to have 1000s people interested and the serious buyers will have the full asking price plus another $500 to $1000 cash readily available as people will be ready to offer more than the next guy. Ive sold a handful of Z cars in the past few years and I ususally sell them within one or two days and I get my asking price if not more - there is zero room for negotionation because the demand is so high.

If I were in your shoes - I would make friends with drift guys that do it for fun at local events. I would ask for ride alongs and volunteer to help them at the track. The drift community is one of the most friendly car communities out there and if you are respectable and friendly they will give you ride alongs and if you build trust with them they may let you drive their cars, I say ‘may’ because it depends on how much they trust you. I dont know that I would let you drive either of my three cars based off your intial post … but I have 10s of thousands of dollars in mine.

Your next best option will be to do a drift learning program and/or rent a drift car to see how you like it … once you know a little more about the chassis you can save-up and buy one.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
CFAUVEL (01-31-2022), khnitz (01-26-2022)
Old 01-27-2022, 03:46 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

You guy's remember turbo timers? Is that still a thing? I feel like I haven't seen or noticed a car that idles for five extra minutes when you turn it off in a long time.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:52 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
You guy's remember turbo timers? Is that still a thing? I feel like I haven't seen or noticed a car that idles for five extra minutes when you turn it off in a long time.
I use my truck’s remote start as a turbo timer … in its rudametric form I can program the remote start to run for 5min, 10min, 15min … I programmed it for 5minutes and I use it to warm the truck up (in cold weather) or start my truck a few minutes before I walk out the door to get things warm/fluids moving/etc and when I arrive at my destination I turn the truck off and then do the remote start - it runs for 5minutes, turns off, and the truck requires you to lock the doors to activate the remote start - done and done…

Last edited by bealljk; 01-28-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:55 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Do you keep your truck plugged in or in a garage? My work truck takes like 20 minutes before I can move it in the morning this time of year. It gets left outside and unplugged, it's usually pissed off about the situation.

I go back and sit in my car and contemplate life till it warms up a bit.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:30 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

yup, had one on my Supra and Skyline. But my Jeep , kia minivan and Juke never had one.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:38 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

i think we scared OP
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
CFAUVEL (01-31-2022), proxiimate (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:17 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Do you keep your truck plugged in or in a garage? My work truck takes like 20 minutes before I can move it in the morning this time of year. It gets left outside and unplugged, it's usually pissed off about the situation.

I go back and sit in my car and contemplate life till it warms up a bit.
Nah, I dont have room … the cars that I dont drive sit in the garage! It’s a gasoline (if it matters) temps have gotten down in the single digits last few weeks but nothing batshitcrazy like you’re up against…Looking to build a shop on a recently purchase property but until that happens.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:32 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i think we scared OP
He's just waiting until November 24 to report back.
proxiimate (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:00 PM
proxiimate

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die;[url=tel:11070435
11070435[/url]]He's just waiting until November 24 to report back.
what fun would an update be if it doesnt include a picture of my car in the shape of a v around some pole lol
Old 01-28-2022, 03:07 PM
proxiimate

Originally Posted by bealljk;[url=tel:11070182
11070182[/url]]Alright Prox … I’m gonna be nice and not totally **** on you post …

How much money do you have to spend on getting this 350z?

The reality is, the Z chassis is not the best choice for your first car or for inexperienced drivers or budget-minded drivers … nothing related to this car is inexpensive.

1. These cars are becoming more and more expensive to buy … unless you want to spend $5k to $10k plan on buying something that will need work. The good news here is you will likely break it and you will be fixing it on your own.

2. If you want to get into the drift scene (formally or informally) it will come with costs and consequences …
-formally(legally, on a track/drift pad/sauctioned event) you will burn through tires … plan on one set every 3 to 5 passes … there are other setup costs like a trailer, tow rig, chassis upgrades, engine mods/tuning, repairs, event fees, fuel … the list goes on and on… so plan on spending quite a bit of cash to do this
-informally(illegally) - probably the dumbest thing you can do…you may not get caught or hurt anyone/yourself, but when you do the consequences will be huge. You’ll likely total this car that you havent bought (or rendered it useless), you could damage someone elses car or property (which you will be responsible for), there are legal consequences when you get caught (community service, fines, legal fees, etc).

3. Adding turbo/superchargers is pretty expensive … above and beyond the cost of the car you’ll spend $5k to $10k for a basic turbo kit, install, tuning, and maintenance,

4. The best place to look is going to be facebook marketplace … you will need cash and alot of it. Everyone selling a z chassis (or any other in-demand chassis) is going to have 1000s people interested and the serious buyers will have the full asking price plus another $500 to $1000 cash readily available as people will be ready to offer more than the next guy. Ive sold a handful of Z cars in the past few years and I ususally sell them within one or two days and I get my asking price if not more - there is zero room for negotionation because the demand is so high.

If I were in your shoes - I would make friends with drift guys that do it for fun at local events. I would ask for ride alongs and volunteer to help them at the track. The drift community is one of the most friendly car communities out there and if you are respectable and friendly they will give you ride alongs and if you build trust with them they may let you drive their cars, I say ‘may’ because it depends on how much they trust you. I dont know that I would let you drive either of my three cars based off your intial post … but I have 10s of thousands of dollars in mine.

Your next best option will be to do a drift learning program and/or rent a drift car to see how you like it … once you know a little more about the chassis you can save-up and buy one.
I have a fair bit of money to dump into it if needed. That wont be an issue for me.

Why would it be bad even though im inexperienced? Of course i wouldnt go around trying to show off day 1 but wouldnt it be beneficial to practice in that car, so I can get more adjusted to it?

Ive been riding along in a challenger to a bunch of meets, and hes been letting me practice and learn in that. Why would it be such a large difference in a Z than that (in the aspect of the basics, not like how its a fully different type of control.)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:13 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

@travlee You're late on the YT video br0!