2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Future Diff Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 08:42 AM
Guzman427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Diff Upgrade

Hey y’all,

Currently own a 2007 Base model 350z. My goal is to work through most of my suspension first and by the new year upgrade my diff to a 2.0 way of sorts. I’ve read many articles and watches tons of YouTube videos. From what I can tell it should should be it should be the lsd itself that I need to order and then dreadingly install. I had someone tell me that I may need upgrade my stub axels, which I’m not sure if that is the case. In my mind it should be take the old open diff out and replace it with the sexy LSD.

Can anyone verify this or let me know if there is other will need to be replaced other than the LSD itself.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:00 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Future Diff Upgrade-a5ovf98.jpg
Stub axles are not the same if swapping over to a stock VLSD, regardless of what some claim. Also depends on what you want the LSD to do and the type, cost will vary...vastly. Possibly more than the car is worth. Install may or may not be very difficult, depending on mechanical know how. I say do all required maintenance work and driver mod, that is the best you can do, as to avoid drifting into that "sexy" wall on Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:22 PM
Guzman427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which driver mods do you recommend or referring to? So I wouldn’t be switching to a vlsd. I’d be going from my stock open lsd to a kaaz 2 way. Which I believe is just a drop the drift, open the case, pull the old open diff out and then replace with the new. I could be wrong. If that’s the case I assume I won’t have to worry about my stub axles since it’s an internal swap.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:55 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm fairly certain that the base model open diff stub axles are different from the factory equipped vlsd ones. I don't personally know which stubs are needed when installing aftermarket LSD options. Also, you will want a gear shop or machine shop to handle pressing in bearings & spacers to ensure proper gear meshing/spacing. This is not something I would personally attempt. I had ZCG handle my OS Superlock LSD install and they ran into some difficulties with the stub axles if my memory serves.

Driver-mod is a fancy way of saying "improve your driving skills" either through a formal training course or taking the time to practice with a mentor during open track days or other safe environment. Get accustomed to the vehicle and understand it's limits as well as your own. Most people find their limits before the vehicle's. I still want to do a formal driving course because I know I have room for improvement. It's on my bucket list before I get gray hair.
Cheers!
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
Guzman427 (12-04-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:12 PM
Sundown72

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

If you’ve not driven a 2-way, don’t start. They’re not much use beyond super high aero load cars on track. 1.5 is suitable for the street and most all motorsport you’ll encounter.

In theory, you can re-re (remove-replace) your open diff with an aftermarket lsd if you take care to get the right stub axles, but there are things to go wrong. You’ll likely have to install new bearings on the diff. That requires a press (even if you move the old bearings over, and they’re likely to not come off the old diff in one piece).

You should break out the dial indicators and check side play, backlash, and end play of all your installed parts before checking the accel and decel patterns with ink. This should be treated with as much care as building an engine. Forces inside the diff are bomb-like. If you need to adjust the pattern, you’re talking about adding pinion shims, and that’s another trip to the press and likely some pinion bearings.

I’d suggest just budgeting in the $300-$500 a driveline shop with some performance experience will charge to build your diff into your saving for the build. They do this everyday and have all the shims, presses, indicators, and experience to get it right the first time, and quickly.

Keep in mind that your Kaaz now requires regular inspection and service, as it’s a clutch-type. Fortunately the fluid is cheaper than the OS-Giken unicorn blood I’ve got to run in mine.
The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (12-12-2022)