Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Side Flange/Axle for LSD - Upgrade Open Diff, Base trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
hydeciel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Flange/Axle for LSD - Upgrade Open Diff, Base trim

Hi everyone,

I've search exhaustively on the side flanges to install an aftermarket LSD on a base model 350z, specifically for aftermarket LSD which require you have the stock VLSD. It is safe to say there is conflicting information, or little of it when you search through threads. I wanted to make a thread to verify my thoughts and knowledge on it and hope to have a single location for the correct information, in the first post, and not scattered throughout a thread.

Please verify my information.

Basically, you need to obtain the following:
1 x [38220] SIDE FLANGE product sku: 38220-Z33002
1 x [38220+A] FLANGE ASSY-SIDE product sku: 38220-Z33003
2 x SEAL-OIL,D product sku: 38342-P9010
2 x BEARING-DI Product sku: 38440-0C000

You can see a Layout of and purchase the parts here:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_778_798.html

But, here is where the conflicting information comes into play.
The right side flange is the 38220. From what I've read, the right side flange, 38220, is not the same on a base model and a VLSD diff. Even knowing the part number is the same.

I found a post of someone saying that the 38220 right side flange is the same on both VLSD & base open diff models if your Z is 2003-2005. Is this true?
Update: For the Kaaz, LSD you need both VLSD side shafts/flanges.

Updates:
Additional information of LSD:
There are a number of LSD that specifically cater to the base model 350z. As far as I know, these are gear type LSDs. Quaife is one of them.

This post is for people who want to upgrade to aftermarket LSDs that require a VLSD setup, LSD such as Kaaz, Carbonetics, Nismo (comes in a kit and with the side flanges), and a number of others. They are generally clutch-type LSDs.

Thanks,

Hyde

Last edited by hydeciel; 12-12-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
makdaddynuge

I have a quaife lsd I am about to install into my base model. From what I have gathered through my research on my350z, the only thing you need to replace is the bearings (38440) on each side. Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM
hydeciel

Yes, the Quaife is made for the base models, not the higher, VLSD trims, and is not a clutch-type LSD. That is a good point to mention in my post above. Let me update my post a bit.

Thanks.

Last edited by hydeciel; 12-12-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 AM
hydeciel

If you are getting a Kaaz LSD and you have a base model 350z. You will need new oil seals, and both side shafts from a VLSD, passenger and driver side.

Warning, don't let the shop tell you otherwise. I had a motorsports shop install mine, they said I didn't need the passenger side one. I drove mine the next day and my ABS light came on before I got to the track for a drift event. Car was acting odd, I thought it was due to the new diff. Didn't think anything of it, really. I thought the ABS sensor just got dirty. A month later I decided to change out my motor and transmission oil. I noticed an oil leak coming from the passenger side diff and the side shaft I could easily move it in and out, pretty bad too. I knew what the problem was, I bought a passenger side shaft/flange, got new diff oil, and installed it myself. The reason for the ABS issues was that the side shaft teeth weren't lining up with the sensors since the side shaft was popping out when I drop. I've had no issues since then, the ABS light never came back on. Everything seems a bit more solid.
FYI, there was still some play with the side shaft going in and out of the diff, but not as bad as before.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^some play is normal. but very little. i was worried when i brought my diff to an experienced tech, and he said everything was fine
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM
carboneticz

ATS has clutch type LSDs (both metal and carbon) for the base model.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 PM
blisaacs1

I had the Quaife QDF13L put on my 08, replacing the oem vlsd. My tech said we had to replace the right side flange with one for a base (non VLSD) version. He'd done such a great job on my KW suspension install I didn't question it. But I'm having exactly the problem described here. The passenger side flange slips to the right far enough to be out of the sensor's view, lighting up the dash - ABS, SLIP, BRAKE. It can be tapped back into place, but then slips back to the right after a day or two. Aargh. He now tells me we could put the original flange (or a new 38220) on and shorten the right axle by 1.7". Quaife has a mod drawing out that shows where to cut. Anyone faced this?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blisaacs1
I had the Quaife QDF13L put on my 08, replacing the oem vlsd. My tech said we had to replace the right side flange with one for a base (non VLSD) version. He'd done such a great job on my KW suspension install I didn't question it. But I'm having exactly the problem described here. The passenger side flange slips to the right far enough to be out of the sensor's view, lighting up the dash - ABS, SLIP, BRAKE. It can be tapped back into place, but then slips back to the right after a day or two. Aargh. He now tells me we could put the original flange (or a new 38220) on and shorten the right axle by 1.7". Quaife has a mod drawing out that shows where to cut. Anyone faced this?
Are you guys sure you used the correct flange for the 13L? Is your car auto or manual tranny? There are 3 Quaife's and each is a direct replacment for base, VLSD or auto with no listed change of parts on the web site. 13L should have used your original VLSD flanges and you have used the shorter open. It is not long enough to reach the circlip inside the Quaife. Why did your installer use a different stub??

If it slips that far to the right whatever circlip he attempted to use is not catching anything. I thought the cutting mod was for back when Quaife only offered one model of diff?

Email quiafe directly if you are not figuring this out. They are helpful by email.
Current quaife models...
http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/search/...21%2C307%2C313
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by hydeciel
I found a post of someone saying that the 38220 right side flange is the same on both VLSD & base open diff models if your Z is 2003-2005. Is this true?
Not that I know of, have read, or experienced myself. Usually you find on base model both sides are identical and of the shorter variety. The VLSD uses the short one on the left and a much longer one on the right. I say usually becuase there are at least 3 or 4 styles of flanges over the years and Nissan keeps changing them on us.
Also I didn't even check your courtesy parts references because I've learned not to trust their website for numbers on any part that varies over the years. I've found their numbers to be very misleading and confusing at times. They sure have handy exploded diagrams though! If I need a part that I am afraid could have variances I always email them my VIN and tell them what I need. I always get back some number that isn't even on the parts diagrams but when you type it in directly, there it is! Yet another valid part number. Who knows if some of them are actually the same. You are correct to be worried about flanges fitting because there is some confusion over them and changes. When I did my Quaife I have an 05 base model, ordered a quiafe 11L and bought an 03 junk yard open diff. The diff was mislabeled (yard claimed they traced the VIN and it had a dealer installed VLSD option after manf.) and what I got was a factory VLSD and the shafts were different lenghts. The yard agreed they made an inventory mistake and sent me the right hand flange from a open diff off an 05 to make up for it becuase my 11L required both sides to be the short style.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM
bjr

Yes, the Quaife is made for the base models, not the higher, VLSD trims, and is not a clutch-type LSD. That is a good point to mention in my post above. Let me update my post a bit.

Thanks.
What?
Quaife offers 3 diffs for the Z's. Every trim and option is covered. I don't understand your comment. Have you looked at their website?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
blisaacs1

Thanks so much for the info. This has been a huge pain in my **** and I'm finally hearing a voice of reason and experience. Sounds like it should work as Quaife said the first time I called them. That is, with the original flange and no cutting of the stub axle. They also assured me that the qdf13l is exactly right for my manual transmission 08 touring with oem vlsd. Is that what you'd expect?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
bjr

Thanks so much for the info. This has been a huge pain in my **** and I'm finally hearing a voice of reason and experience. Sounds like it should work as Quaife said the first time I called them. That is, with the original flange and no cutting of the stub axle. They also assured me that the qdf13l is exactly right for my manual transmission 08 touring with oem vlsd. Is that what you'd expect?
MAYBE NOT TRUE KEEP READING FURTHER POSTS
Yes. What you said SHOULD be true. Your mechanic needs to take a closer look at this. Do you still have your orignal stub shaft?
Quaife is telling you the way it should be as long as there was nothing surprising in the 08 year. Hope you get it taken care of!

Last edited by bjr; 11-20-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: couldn't get my facts striaght :-(
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr
Yes. What you said SHOULD be true. Your mechanic needs to take a closer look at this. Do you still have your orignal stub shaft?
Quaife is telling you the way it should be as long as there was nothing surprising in the 08 year. Hope you get it taken care of!
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??//

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf13l
https://my350z.com/forum/7356286-post20.html

Look at the PDF link. You DO need to trim the passenger stub axle. These instructions SHOULD have been included in with the QDF13L package. I'm not 100% certain that you could use a base axle instead.

This issue has been covered in another thread as well.

Last edited by Voboy; 11-28-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 AM
bjr

Originally Posted by Voboy
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??//

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qdf13l
http://www.quaife.co.uk/sites/defaul...ngs/QDF13L.pdf

Look at the PDF link. You DO need to trim the passenger stub axle. These instructions SHOULD have been included in with the QDF13L package. I'm not 100% certain that you could use a base axle instead.

This issue has been covered in another thread as well.
Ok. Sorry blissacs1, maybe you do have to cut it. But you still used the wrong stub. BTW, I couldn't find the drawing to cut the shaft in the above links. I'm sure it's on Quaife's web site somewhere. I was under the impression that with all of the different models available now that it was not necessary and read that here somewhere earlier this summer.
You will see from reading and looking at pictures here why the shaft you used did not work. After you take the long VLSD one and cut it look at how the others compare side by side and where the groove is located for the circlip...
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-pull-out.html
You still have to re-do it and use your original shaft. Cutting it will be the easiest part of the whole ordeal.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:00 AM
hydeciel

Originally Posted by bjr
What?
Quaife offers 3 diffs for the Z's. Every trim and option is covered. I don't understand your comment. Have you looked at their website?
bjr, that's useful, but that wasn't the question I was answering. It was in referrence to the previous posters question which was in reference to a base model 350z. Admittedly, I can understand the misunderstanding though. In addition, this entire thread is in reference to base models. which was the following:
I have a quaife lsd I am about to install into my base model. From what I have gathered through my research on my350z, the only thing you need to replace is the bearings (38440) on each side. Anyone else care to chime in?

Last edited by hydeciel; 11-28-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Voboy

Originally Posted by bjr
Ok. Sorry blissacs1, maybe you do have to cut it. But you still used the wrong stub. BTW, I couldn't find the drawing to cut the shaft in the above links. I'm sure it's on Quaife's web site somewhere. I was under the impression that with all of the different models available now that it was not necessary and read that here somewhere earlier this summer.
You will see from reading and looking at pictures here why the shaft you used did not work. After you take the long VLSD one and cut it look at how the others compare side by side and where the groove is located for the circlip...
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-pull-out.html
You still have to re-do it and use your original shaft. Cutting it will be the easiest part of the whole ordeal.
Oops. I forgot where I found the instructions for a second. Here they are:

https://my350z.com/forum/7356286-post20.html

My 13L unit did come with these instructions.

p.s. it should be mentioned the link you provided above was issues with the OS giken lsd. (although your post showing the differences between axles was useful)

Last edited by Voboy; 11-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM
hydeciel

blisaacs, all the information above is in regards to a base model 350z. Now I think I can help you, but the answer is a bit of a pain in the ***. Quaife is originally noted for their conversion of open differentials to their LSD. The message below is from the product description of their QDF13L LSD. It mentions a open diff in the second sentence. Is it possible they sent your the wrong one?

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential for Nissan 350Z viscous diff replacement is suitable for Nissan 350Z models. A direct replacement for the standard Nissan open differential, the Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential transforms your car’s performance.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Voboy

blisaacs, all the information above is in regards to a base model 350z. Now I think I can help you, but the answer is a bit of a pain in the ***. Quaife is originally noted for their conversion of open differentials to their LSD. The message below is from the product description of their QDF13L LSD. It mentions a open diff in the second sentence. Is it possible they sent your the wrong one?
not all information above. from his post down pretty much applies.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM
bjr

bjr, that's useful, but that wasn't the question I was answering. It was in referrence to the previous posters question which was in reference to a base model 350z. Admittedly, I can understand the misunderstanding though. In addition, this entire thread is in reference to base models. which was the following:
I see that now. This thread got a bit sidetracked quickly then. I knew I was mainly trying to help blisaacs1 here and hope this helps - that's all I could add. There seems to be a lot of confusion between any model anyways and the more information the better. This could end up being a general Quaife thread since once you have problems you need to understand it all...

Last edited by bjr; 11-28-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM
hazehkg

Originally Posted by carboneticz
ATS has clutch type LSDs (both metal and carbon) for the base model.
I'm actually considering an ATS clutch type LSD soon. Carboneticz, do you have any experience with them?