Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone one have info on 2005 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:45 AM
DiRN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been hearing about the 2007 Skyline for a while. But it will be a watered-down version. Certainly nothing like the GT-Rs.

And I doubt they would get rid of the Z for the Skyline. They sell both in Japan, why not sell both in the US.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Lokix

Originally posted by mc350z
no not true the skyline already is in the usa its a G35

in 2007 they are selling a GT-R as an infiniti over here. this car wont even be in the same category or price range

the Z is nissans flagship plus its the #1 selling sports car
??? are you talking about the G35 Sedan? Isnt that basicly the same as the Altima? I dont see an altima comeing close to comparing to a Skyline. i may be way off on this so correct me if i am. i am new to nissan fandumand that is credited to the 350Z
Old 03-03-2004, 02:37 PM
superstuddc27

no... the G35 coupe IS the skyline. just a really messed up pitiful version. if you go to the japanese nissan website, it says Skyline as G35. people with G35s put "Skyline" emblem on their car like Z owners do with the "Fairlady" sign.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:23 PM
xzbum

the G35 is the Skyline 350GT in Japan.
and the new GT-R will not be a 'Skyline GT-R' anymore.
the new GT-R will be seperated from the model 'Skyline'.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:28 AM
Lokix

to the G35 coupe with is the 350Z counter part in the states is the Skyline in Japan? Is that correct. So in japan they have the 350Z and The Skyline which is the same car? I unerstand the whole JDM market and how that works but its just hard to believe. That blows. So why would they ever officialy bring the Skyline to the states then? Then they would have Skyline > G35 coupe > 350Z. Thats just stupid.

Please dont let my gnorance upset anyone i just dont get it.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:42 AM
DiRN

If I make a mistake, please feel free to correct me...

The Skyline currently comes in two forms, the Skyline and the GT-R. The difference is like the difference between a Corvette and a Z06, or a Mustang and a Cobra. The G35C is based on the Skyline. The Skyline (the GT-R) that is to be released in the US will be based on the GT-R.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:33 AM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Skyline has always been Nissan's higher-end car. Think of it like Acura's CL cars; nice, upscale, different trim levels. You could get a couple of different engines, different options, etc. Before 2003, the lowest level Skyline (GT) only had a 140 hp 2.0L engine, rear wheel drive and 2 or 4 doors. It's only the top level GT-R that we usually think about.

For 2003, Nissan came up with a new chassis called the FM chassis, and that chassis is used for the Z and G35/Skyline (and I think also the Murano and FX, though I'm not sure about that).

So it's not like the new Skyline is a cheap knock-off of the real thing; it's got all the same basic parts as the Z; body, engine, transmission, suspension; it's just adjusted differently.

The new GT-R is going to be the G35 on steroids, just like the old GT-R Skylines were highly tuned versions of a good sporty sedan. The only real debate is "What kind of steroids is it going to use?"

my reference: http://history.jbskyline.net/index5.php
this is the previous series of Skylines, the R34.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 AM
justinv

The interesting thing is that Ford with it's new mustang may be able to stake a legitimate claim to a large portion of the sports car category......and I think 2006 would be a great year to modify the already magnificent 350z, with a 4.0 Liter or something maybe turbo models. needless to say the Z is a top player
Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Lokix

Originally posted by 510dat
The Skyline has always been Nissan's higher-end car. Think of it like Acura's CL cars; nice, upscale, different trim levels. You could get a couple of different engines, different options, etc. Before 2003, the lowest level Skyline (GT) only had a 140 hp 2.0L engine, rear wheel drive and 2 or 4 doors. It's only the top level GT-R that we usually think about.

For 2003, Nissan came up with a new chassis called the FM chassis, and that chassis is used for the Z and G35/Skyline (and I think also the Murano and FX, though I'm not sure about that).

So it's not like the new Skyline is a cheap knock-off of the real thing; it's got all the same basic parts as the Z; body, engine, transmission, suspension; it's just adjusted differently.

The new GT-R is going to be the G35 on steroids, just like the old GT-R Skylines were highly tuned versions of a good sporty sedan. The only real debate is "What kind of steroids is it going to use?"

my reference: http://history.jbskyline.net/index5.php
this is the previous series of Skylines, the R34.
wow thanks for hte info. so for us with smaller wallets, we pretty much have the performance of the Skyline right now. so the advantage of the Skyline would be if the bring of a pumped up engine option, that, and seats 4, and different body style. once again good info.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:49 AM
qirex

read slowly

FM (front midships) platform is used on
1) 350z/fairlady Z
2) G35/Skyline
3) FX35/45

The skyline is simply a line of saloons in Japan, just like the cedric/gloria (what we call the M45 here).

The skyline has a long history in the JDM market, but we never got them.

The confusion stems from the general ignoracne concerning JDM nomenclature. You certainly didnt want to drive ANY Skylin in the last 20 years - what you guys associate as a skylin is the skyline GT-R (as someone pointed out).

Its much diff than the corvette to Z06 - rather its along the lines of the Mitsubishi Lancer and the EVOs.

So basically, nissan used the same platform for the skyline and fairlady. The GTR has not come out - but will probably come here as a high HP, high tech infiniti (a la Skyline GTR)

Nissan has hinted they will drop the name "skyline" from the name referring to it only as a GTR

btw murano is based on the FWD altima platform.