AEM X-Series OBD2 Gauge on '08 HR

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 03:26 AM
dhirennaidoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM X-Series OBD2 Gauge on '08 HR

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have an '08 HR 350Z and currently on track days, I connect an OBD2 BT reader to the car, connect my phone using the NDS3 app and monitor oil temp this way.

I have been contemplating for a while, to install a proper oil temp gauge, but came across the AEM X-Series OBD2 gauge here: Linky

While it does speak about generic OBD2 across CAN, the oil temp on HR engines seem to be an "extended" PID. I assume this becuase the oil temp shows up on the NDS 3 android app, but not Torque (which is a more generic app).

Does anyone know if the AEM gauge reads oil temp on HR engines? I did contact AEM directly, but they couldn't really give me an answer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-17-2023, 04:32 AM
The Bull

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirennaidoo
Hi all

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have an '08 HR 350Z and currently on track days, I connect an OBD2 BT reader to the car, connect my phone using the NDS3 app and monitor oil temp this way.

I have been contemplating for a while, to install a proper oil temp gauge, but came across the AEM X-Series OBD2 gauge here: Linky

While it does speak about generic OBD2 across CAN, the oil temp on HR engines seem to be an "extended" PID. I assume this becuase the oil temp shows up on the NDS 3 android app, but not Torque (which is a more generic app).

Does anyone know if the AEM gauge reads oil temp on HR engines? I did contact AEM directly, but they couldn't really give me an answer.

Thanks in advance!
That's really interesting. The HR does not have an oil temp sensor so I wonder where in the CAN bus is getting this info from and if it's legitimate.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:49 AM
dhirennaidoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bull
That's really interesting. The HR does not have an oil temp sensor so I wonder where in the CAN bus is getting this info from and if it's legitimate.
I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, but some do. I am from South Africa, but I would assume the HR engine should be similar in the states?
Replacement sensor from Z1: https://www.z1motorsports.com/igniti...r-p-12606.html
Old 01-17-2023, 08:02 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

I did not know about this either. You may need to check with higher level tech support at AEM (Tier 2 or above). Otherwise you may want to check in with some of the well known Z tuner shops. I would contact Z1 or ConceptZPerformance, I'm sure someone has tested this AEM gauge out on an HR before. These forums aren't as active as they once were, and those that track their Z probably use a different oil temp gauge. Worst case scenario, buy it and try it and do a write-up/review.
Cheers!
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
dhirennaidoo (01-17-2023)