SC 2004 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 07:07 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by jjanss
Today I put an OBD on it and got code , p1111. And also 3 monitors out catalyst, evap, and 02 sensor. I hope cats will take care of the 3 monitors. It's the code I'm worried about . But at least it has nothing to do smog.
Let's clarify a few things about "doing car stuff" in the state of California...

First, it is LAW for the SELLER to provide smog certification with sale. If you made the mistake of not holding them to it, it's on you.

Secondly, ANY DTC showing - related to engine performance - will prevent the smog shop from even testing your car so that P1111 solenoid needs to be attended to. "Fix it then come back."

Third, unless that blower has a CARB exemption sticker, you will fail before the car even gets the analyzer plugged in.

Fourth, on top of all that, no cats are an instant visual fail. No amount of sniffing, plugging in will overcome that.

Will never understand the removal of cats, especially on a blown (FI) car. Consider that the upstream O2 sensor and downstream sensor compare values in the ECM to optimize AFR (or smog compliance). With straight/"test" pipes, there's zero delta values up and down so the ECM tries to lean the car out. Not good for any car, worse with boost.

Fifth and finally, any non-OEM tune specs found will be cause for immediate fail. Not a fix-and-come-back, a pure fail. Not sure how cars with Uprev maps or other get around this one because, the first thing the new analyzers look for is pre-set manufacturer tune. Guess you "gotta know a guy." All said and done, even after you "bring the car into compliance", you may have to go the referee route. Hope not.

Don't mean to be all gloom and doom but alas, just tellin' it like it is. Good luck resolving all of this.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:47 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Ahh yes the golden state. What's not to love.
-Icer

Old 02-16-2023, 11:33 PM
jjanss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Let's clarify a few things about "doing car stuff" in the state of California...

First, it is LAW for the SELLER to provide smog certification with sale. If you made the mistake of not holding them to it, it's on you.

Secondly, ANY DTC showing - related to engine performance - will prevent the smog shop from even testing your car so that P1111 solenoid needs to be attended to. "Fix it then come back."

Third, unless that blower has a CARB exemption sticker, you will fail before the car even gets the analyzer plugged in.

Fourth, on top of all that, no cats are an instant visual fail. No amount of sniffing, plugging in will overcome that.

Will never understand the removal of cats, especially on a blown (FI) car. Consider that the upstream O2 sensor and downstream sensor compare values in the ECM to optimize AFR (or smog compliance). With straight/"test" pipes, there's zero delta values up and down so the ECM tries to lean the car out. Not good for any car, worse with boost.

Fifth and finally, any non-OEM tune specs found will be cause for immediate fail. Not a fix-and-come-back, a pure fail. Not sure how cars with Uprev maps or other get around this one because, the first thing the new analyzers look for is pre-set manufacturer tune. Guess you "gotta know a guy." All said and done, even after you "bring the car into compliance", you may have to go the referee route. Hope not.

Don't mean to be all gloom and doom but alas, just tellin' it like it is. Good luck resolving all of this.
I already fixed the p1111 code getting the cats soon , and I don't understand why they took them off either and yes with the cats the rest is good.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:06 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Originally Posted by jjanss
I already fixed the p1111 code getting the cats soon , and I don't understand why they took them off either and yes with the cats the rest is good.
Did you find a carb sticker? If not, no its not good....along with car being tuned, you are going to fail
Old 02-17-2023, 01:17 AM
jjanss

I will check again tomorrow . And call stillen to see what I can find out there. Supposedly they have records on the car.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

good luck, you never did say if you bought the car in cali or not

As of July 19, 2021, BAR will expand this testing procedure beyond the standard visual inspection and tailpipe test. Now, OBDII-equipped cars and trucks from 1996 or newer will be checked to make sure they're running factory software or a CARB-approved ECU tune. If a car is running software that does not fall into these categories, it will fail the smog check, and can't be registered or renewed until the computer equipment is brought into compliance.

Testing for compliance involves plugging into the car's ECU and checking for two pieces of data: The Calibration Identification, or Cal ID, and the Calibration Verification Number, CVN. The Cal ID indicates which version of the software the car is running, similar to the iOS number in your iPhone. The CVN is calculated based on how the car runs, using parameters studied by the ECU, with the number changing when the software is adjusted.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:38 AM
jjanss

Yes I bought it in Cali