Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan 350z Door Handle Retaining Clip

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 02:21 PM
TechTerritory

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Nissan 350z Door Handle Retaining Clip

Hello! I just bought a 2003 Nissan 350z Touring 6-speed manual hardtop with 47K miles, and it has the door handle latching issue, and I was just wondering if there was any way to get the main retaining clip out of the door, or a way to buy a new retaining clip? thanks!
Old 03-03-2023, 03:23 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm not sure which component/part of the door lock and handle mechanism you're referring to. But the door handle bolts are accessed from the inside of the door. You of course need to remove the interior door card (finisher). If you need to remove the latch and actuator assembly, then you need to also remove the door glass and regulator assembly.

See FSM illustration below.
Cheers!
-Icer

Old 03-07-2023, 06:18 AM
TechTerritory

Thumbs up #5!!

Originally Posted by icer5160
I'm not sure which component/part of the door lock and handle mechanism you're referring to. But the door handle bolts are accessed from the inside of the door. You of course need to remove the interior door card (finisher). If you need to remove the latch and actuator assembly, then you need to also remove the door glass and regulator assembly.

Cheers!
-Icer

Oh! Great I could not find that in the FSM, where do you find yours at? But nonetheless, it is part #5 on that diagram for the drivers side, and I have taken the stock door handle off, because when I bought it, I knew I would have to replace the door handle, But then when I opened it up, it was just completely missing part #5 on that diagram, and I am not sure if it is in the door, or what, but I honestly would just rather buy the part than take apart the entire freaking door, and then grab it out of the inside of the metal door.... is there a place to buy that part? Or will I have to try and find some junkyard that for some weird reason has a 350z, and then grab the clip out of that?
Old 03-07-2023, 06:20 AM
TechTerritory

Question

Cheers!
-Icer

Would this be right? Or is there somewhere cheaper to buy it??
Old 03-07-2023, 11:27 AM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Yes, that appears to be the correct part. But understand that you will most likely need to remove the door glass and regulator assembly from the door. I don't think you will be able to install a new lock rod to the door handle & actuator without this level of access for your hands & tools. I suspect the original lock rod has fallen down in the door, so it might be worth your time to pull it apart anyway and save you some cash if it's still there. It's not difficult to remove the door glass and regulator, there are tons of videos covering this on YT.

I believe this section of the FSM is labeled BL for "Body, Lock & Security System". I pulled this from a 2006 350Z FSM.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 03-10-2023, 05:25 AM
TechTerritory

Smile

Yes, that appears to be the correct part. But understand that you will most likely need to remove the door glass and regulator assembly from the door. I don't think you will be able to install a new lock rod to the door handle & actuator without this level of access for your hands & tools. I suspect the original lock rod has fallen down in the door, so it might be worth your time to pull it apart anyway and save you some cash if it's still there. It's not difficult to remove the door glass and regulator, there are tons of videos covering this on YT.

I believe this section of the FSM is labeled BL for "Body, Lock & Security System". I pulled this from a 2006 350Z FSM.
Good Luck!
-Icer
To replace this part you dont need to take out the glass, you can just take of the handle and slip it in there, thanks so much though! It is somewhat simple, but yes I will look around down there, I just hate taking off trim, and trip pieces because it is so tedious, thanks so much for the help!