Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sway bar too stiff for new springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 09:15 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Sway bar too stiff for new springs?

I ran for a couple seasons the OEM springs on B6 shocks are the Hotchkis sways set to one staggered hole off full stiff in the front and middle hole stiff in the rear. This performed well for me for two summers of tracking the car.

I swapped out the springs because they were sagging. Fronts were sitting 30mm lower than they should be! Swapped them out with some ARK GT-F which actually raised the front! These are progressive and i think its 4.2-8.6. Anyways stiffer than stock and the progressive nature helps with body roll. A lot. Too much maybe?

The car is rocking us side to side A LOT. The car leaned almost none in the corners. I have no been on track with this setup yet but have a track day in a week. The car feels "skatey". This cannot be good for traction right? Should I soften up these sways a bit before hitting the track? I feel like this is too flat of cornering. The car has too much grip and I live in Chicago so I don't have any area to test at the limit feel or traction.

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2023, 08:58 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

So your car doesn't lean anymore?
Mine has lean but not a lot, I think my springs are tighter but my sway bar is softer on paper?
Granted you drive harder.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Roll stiffness is fun to play with. I don’t have much experience playing with springs lighter than 10k front. I have learned that really still bars feel awesome on the street and just couldn’t get them to work on track, but I didn’t compensate roll bar for spring rate.

start soft and work up. Softer is usually faster. I would even suggest getting the stock rear bar installed again and only play with the front
Old 04-23-2023, 08:19 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Roll stiffness is fun to play with. I don’t have much experience playing with springs lighter than 10k front. I have learned that really still bars feel awesome on the street and just couldn’t get them to work on track, but I didn’t compensate roll bar for spring rate.

start soft and work up. Softer is usually faster. I would even suggest getting the stock rear bar installed again and only play with the front
Alright so yeah I need to deal with lean. Maybe I need to take a couple jack to the track and test settings there. Setting is stiff on street gives you super agile handling but on track that lack of lean leads to very little "bite" and you skate, lose traction very suddenly which is hard to catch even with very fast reflexes.

One of my buddies runs no sway bar on the rear and swears by it. I did try softening up my rear bar last year (before the new springs) and I HATED IT. I like to steer the car with the throttle. This is actually how I get around the understeer issue.

I am also running 12 degrees of caster now so I do not need the front roll bar stiffness to get my sharp initial turn in anymore. If anything it is too sharp now. Need to be REALLY smooth with inputs.

I think I might drop it front and rear half a staggered setting at a time until I feel the car gets sloppy and then go back up one.

Am considering adjustable links as well because with street driving in Chicago the preload really reduces the independence of the suspension.