Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Shocks and Springs or Sway Bars???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Laughitup85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and Springs or Sway Bars???

I'm going to be buying both shocks and springs and sway bars, but I only have enough money for one or the other. Which to you recommend and what types??
Old 08-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Spring type depends on what you want to do.

I went with RS-R Ti2000 springs and Hotchkis sways. Only a .6" drop but the spring rates are so close to stock, my stock struts are still happy . The Hotchkis sways gave the most noticeable dynamic difference though.

I track my car on street rubber so I didn't want to go too drastic. If I used race rubber, I would consider stiffer springs and struts. My sways would be set stiffer too.

You mentioned sways so I'm pretty sure this isn't just a cosmetic project. edit.... just noticed your mods, so I know this isn't cosmetic. Congrats on the Quaife LSD. -I love mine.

What are your goals?

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 08-15-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Laughitup85

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Spring type depends on what you want to do.

I went with RS-R Ti2000 springs and Hotchkis sways. Only a .6" drop but the spring rates are so close to stock, my stock struts are still happy . The Hotchkis sways gave the most noticeable dynamic difference though.

I track my car on street rubber so I didn't want to go too drastic. If I used race rubber, I would consider stiffer springs and struts. My sways would be set stiffer too.

You mentioned sways so I'm pretty sure this isn't just a cosmetic project. edit.... just noticed your mods, so I know this isn't cosmetic. Congrats on the Quaife LSD. -I love mine.

What are your goals?

All I can say is FU*K Show before go!!! I do a little bit of everything. Track to see if I'm faster than my friends and mountains because they are fun! After I'm sitting on about 450 HP then I'll go cosmetic
Old 08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
joeygill

Have you considered shocks and sways. The stock springs are plenty good, but the shocks and sways will provide a greater improvement over stock.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joeygill
Have you considered shocks and sways. The stock springs are plenty good, but the shocks and sways will provide a greater improvement over stock.
pretty bold statement to make with respect to the shocks since you don't know what year his car is...

I think the obvious answer would be sways, if for no other reason, that the install is a standalone procedure. There really is no much point in just doing springs, only to go back in a few months from now, take it all apart, to then do struts. Sways will provide an immediate benefit

If your car is an 06 +, your shocks are quite good already. If its an older car, at some point I'd highly recommend upgrading them, or going to coilovers, depending on what your budget/needs are
Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I think the obvious answer would be sways, if for no other reason, that the install is a standalone procedure. There really is no much point in just doing springs, only to go back in a few months from now, take it all apart, to then do struts. Sways will provide an immediate benefit
+1. The order I took, would probably do it in this order again if I had to start from scratch.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Good advise guys ^^^^^^

If you can't afford both, get the sways first. (but, do be sure to address the rest of the suspension eventually)

SCOTT @ RELENTLESS AUTOSPORTS -- Still Building the fastest Daily Driven & Track Proven Z's, G's, FX's, EVO's, TC's, and more!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Laughitup85

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Good advise guys ^^^^^^

If you can't afford both, get the sways first. (but, do be sure to address the rest of the suspension eventually)

SCOTT @ RELENTLESS AUTOSPORTS -- Still Building the fastest Daily Driven & Track Proven Z's, G's, FX's, EVO's, TC's, and more!
Oh I fully plan to!! I just wanted to know which you felt would be the better choice to go with for starters. I usually buy one part a pay check as long as its under $1,000 so sways will be my first choice thanks
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 PM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
pretty bold statement to make with respect to the shocks since you don't know what year his car is...

If your car is an 06 +, your shocks are quite good already. If its an older car, at some point I'd highly recommend upgrading them, or going to coilovers, depending on what your budget/needs are
OP: you should listen to Z1. You may not have been able to notice yet (since you're a newer member), but Z1 and Gsedan35 are the suspension gurus around here. Both know their **** and both will help you out a lot.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 AM
zprincess

Sways first.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Q45tech

Sways are springs, just that the spring effect occurs only when the body tries to roll and twists the bars.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Sways are springs, just that the spring effect occurs only when the body tries to roll and twists the bars.
all this does is confuse the original poster, and about 97% of the rest of the people who might read this, and it's far outside the bounds of the OP's original question