Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z winshield washer fluid not spraying

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 350z winshield washer fluid not spraying

Hello! I have dealt with no windshield washer fluid for a while, and then recently i filled it up, and I tried to use it, and nothing happend, I am 90% sure that the pump is bad, but I cannot find any OEM pumps for sale, is there any place to buy a new one? I dont want to buy a new one because I dont know how much more life it would have in it. thoughts?
Old 06-11-2023, 05:14 PM
EJohn

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 350z-winshield-washer-fluid

Originally Posted by Tech Territory
Hello! I have dealt with no windshield washer fluid for a while, and then recently i filled it up, and I tried to use it, and nothing happend, I am 90% sure that the pump is bad, but I cannot find any OEM pumps for sale, is there any place to buy a new one? I dont want to buy a new one because I dont know how much more life it would have in it. thoughts?
Your best bet is to contact Sac City Auto Parts. They can usually help you with this kind of stuff.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Should be an easy part to grab from a junk yard

2 separate pumps , you can swap the rear pump to the front if you don’t use the rear. My rear was disabled cause I even removed the rear wiper

Last edited by terrasmak; 06-12-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:10 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

If the washer tank & pumps sat empty/dry for a long time, it's possible that they rusted out and/or seized up. You have a few options for replacement, but a good used unit is the better way to go if you can find one. Before purchasing though, I suggest checking the 12V circuit at the pump and make sure you're getting power just to rule out a bad fuse or something.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 06-21-2023, 08:11 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by icer5160
If the washer tank & pumps sat empty/dry for a long time, it's possible that they rusted out and/or seized up. You have a few options for replacement, but a good used unit is the better way to go if you can find one. Before purchasing though, I suggest checking the 12V circuit at the pump and make sure you're getting power just to rule out a bad fuse or something.
Cheers!
-Icer
Okay awesome, thanks! I tested the circuit and it is getting power when i spray, so ill try and get used I guess if you think thats better than I trust you, thanks!
Old 06-21-2023, 12:37 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Price check a new unit from an online dealer 1st. I needed to replace the tank + pump assembly on my 1st Z back in 2010 and it was surprisingly cheap, but that was 10+ years ago and prices have changed. What I have begun to notice lately, is that used parts can be within 15-25% of new parts costs. If the gap is that small, just buy new.

I checked around online real quick. The OEM P/N for 03-06 350Zs is 28910-CD000.
The cheapest I found new was from Z1 at $257 (Wow! About double what I paid back in 2010)
Fleabay has some used listings for $150.00 with free returns & 60-day warranty. (seems like a good option)

Whatever you choose, make sure you double check the year Z it came from, the P/Ns are different for 07-08.

Once you get the replacement installed. I highly recommend going through the windshield washer lines and inspecting the check valves. These are 1-way valves that can stick closed if left dry for extended periods of time. A little WD-40 and working the bead valve + spring with a small pick gets them working perfectly again. If you really want to go nuts, you can remove the spray nozzles from the wiper arms and soak them in white vinegar, then scrub clean with a toothbrush. They are made of brass and can corrode/clog from age giving an uneven spray pattern. These little spray nozzles can also be aimed/adjusted using a strong needle. It's a cool and high quality design, most modern cars today simply have fixed plastic nozzles. This is something I didn't discover until I went through my Z's windshield cowling and wiper arm assembly (deep cleaning & replaced the clear section of sprayer hose with new).

Hope you get it sorted! Not having working windshield sprayers is very annoying!
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 06-22-2023, 08:04 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by icer5160
Price check a new unit from an online dealer 1st. I needed to replace the tank + pump assembly on my 1st Z back in 2010 and it was surprisingly cheap, but that was 10+ years ago and prices have changed. What I have begun to notice lately, is that used parts can be within 15-25% of new parts costs. If the gap is that small, just buy new.

I checked around online real quick. The OEM P/N for 03-06 350Zs is 28910-CD000.
The cheapest I found new was from Z1 at $257 (Wow! About double what I paid back in 2010)
Fleabay has some used listings for $150.00 with free returns & 60-day warranty. (seems like a good option)

Whatever you choose, make sure you double check the year Z it came from, the P/Ns are different for 07-08.

Once you get the replacement installed. I highly recommend going through the windshield washer lines and inspecting the check valves. These are 1-way valves that can stick closed if left dry for extended periods of time. A little WD-40 and working the bead valve + spring with a small pick gets them working perfectly again. If you really want to go nuts, you can remove the spray nozzles from the wiper arms and soak them in white vinegar, then scrub clean with a toothbrush. They are made of brass and can corrode/clog from age giving an uneven spray pattern. These little spray nozzles can also be aimed/adjusted using a strong needle. It's a cool and high quality design, most modern cars today simply have fixed plastic nozzles. This is something I didn't discover until I went through my Z's windshield cowling and wiper arm assembly (deep cleaning & replaced the clear section of sprayer hose with new).

Hope you get it sorted! Not having working windshield sprayers is very annoying!
Cheers!
-Icer
Okay thanks for the help so much, I really apreciate it