Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Akebono bbk fitment on 350z v3 nismo wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023 | 07:39 PM
dvd.z33

Default Akebono bbk fitment on 350z v3 nismo wheels

Picked up a set of 350z v3 nismo wheels recently and was looking at an akebono bbk upgrade kit; but was contemplating on the fitment due to the fact that the 350z nismo had brembos from factory. Am doing this for form AND function and only considering akebonos because they’re oem+ and there’s no Brembo bbk kits for 350Z (only for gtr’s which are $3000+) Wanted to see if anyone has the knowledge or is currently running the setup mentioned.
Old 07-05-2023 | 08:27 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by dvd.z33
Picked up a set of 350z v3 nismo wheels recently and was looking at an akebono bbk upgrade kit; but was contemplating on the fitment due to the fact that the 350z nismo had brembos from factory. Am doing this for form AND function and only considering akebonos because they’re oem+ and there’s no Brembo bbk kits for 350Z (only for gtr’s which are $3000+) Wanted to see if anyone has the knowledge or is currently running the setup mentioned.
Print out this template and make one from hard card stock and measure the clearance. This you'd use on the front 18s. As I recall, the rears aren't a problem with the larger diameter (19") wheel and barrel clearance.

https://conceptzperformance.com/item.../docs/file.pdf

The following users liked this post:
dvd.z33 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 04:30 AM
Heel Til I Die

I've got the Akebono BBK on my Z and a set of those same wheels. The rears clear fine. The fronts don't quite clear without modification or a spacer. There is a small piece/edge that needs to be sanded or ground down on the front calipers for clearance if you're not running a spacer. You just need to shave off a couple millimeters.
Old 07-06-2023 | 05:56 AM
dvd.z33

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
I've got the Akebono BBK on my Z and a set of those same wheels. The rears clear fine. The fronts don't quite clear without modification or a spacer. There is a small piece/edge that needs to be sanded or ground down on the front calipers for clearance if you're not running a spacer. You just need to shave off a couple millimeters.
Is there a picture you can send/post?
Old 07-06-2023 | 08:26 AM
Heel Til I Die

There might be a picture floating around here somewhere. Personally, I did not trim off the bit of the caliper to fit those. There's plenty of discussion about fitment of 18s with the Akebono BBK which you may have already seen.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ng-wheels.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ent-gurus.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-calipers.html

IIRC, just the tip is contacting the inner part of the barrel and the entire caliper does not need to be trimmed. I might do it one day, but for now, I have enough wheel/tire sets floating around that clear without issues.
Old 07-06-2023 | 10:01 AM
DarkZ03

My contribution is there is that Brembo does have kits for the Z.
Alternatively the Z33 Brembos are just fine for most drivers and have the largest choice of pads, also the rotors don't weigh 30 lbs lol.
I really don't understand why everyone wants Akebonos, argument can be had for track duty but then the pad choices come into play.
Old 07-06-2023 | 11:15 AM
icer5160

A little late to the party...

I actually ran the Akebono BBK, using the CZP brackets with the Nismo V3s staggered setup. It was a mistake that I still regret. Even after grinding for clearance, road debris can get between the front wheel and caliper and turn it into a pepper grinder. The tolerance is just that tight. I switched to OEM Brembo's after that. I was sick of the low speed grinding noises from pebbles, twigs, leaves, etc. (it was really cringe). If you want to go Akebono BBK, do it with 19s, anything less is just going to cause headaches.
Cheers!
-Icer

dvd.z33 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 11:39 AM
dvd.z33

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
My contribution is there is that Brembo does have kits for the Z.
Alternatively the Z33 Brembos are just fine for most drivers and have the largest choice of pads, also the rotors don't weigh 30 lbs lol.
I really don't understand why everyone wants Akebonos, argument can be had for track duty but then the pad choices come into play.
While what you say is true, the only “Brembo kit” there is for the Z33 is the pads and rotors found on Z1. I don’t want to sound like that one guy that says “the more pistons the better” I just would like a nice brake upgrade from the boring factory brake calipers. And if there are kits that I don’t know of, can you steer me in the direction of them?
Old 07-06-2023 | 11:41 AM
dvd.z33

Originally Posted by icer5160
A little late to the party...

I actually ran the Akebono BBK, using the CZP brackets with the Nismo V3s staggered setup. It was a mistake that I still regret. Even after grinding for clearance, road debris can get between the front wheel and caliper and turn it into a pepper grinder. The tolerance is just that tight. I switched to OEM Brembo's after that. I was sick of the low speed grinding noises from pebbles, twigs, leaves, etc. (it was really cringe). If you want to go Akebono BBK, do it with 19s, anything less is just going to cause headaches.
Cheers!
-Icer
Did you buy the brembos used off of another 350Z/g35? If so, where would you buy the parts to rebuild them (if you did) if not would you recommend just slapping them on and drive normally.

Last edited by dvd.z33; 07-06-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2023 | 01:18 PM
Heel Til I Die

I got some used Brembo's secondhand and cleaned them up and rebuilt them to put on my G. Z1 sells front and rear rebuild kits that include all the seals and O-rings.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...hoCBDcQAvD_BwE

Using compressed air to get the pistons out was, uh... fun.
Old 07-06-2023 | 01:31 PM
icer5160

I picked up a complete set off ebay (used), they actually came off of a G35 Sport, and I thought I was getting a good deal since the seller included slotted Centric rotors. Cosmetically, they were in rough shape, but mechanically I think they would have worked just fine if I slapped them on the car (cylinder dust seals & pistons looked ok). But I wanted them to look new, so I contracted a local brake specialty shop to rebuild them and have them re-powder coated. In hindsight, I should have gone a different route in respect to sourcing the parts and picking the shop. Upon closer inspection of the rotors, I discovered the rear hats had cracks visible from the inside (e-brake area), basically the rotors were unsafe to use and also hinted that the car these came off of was abused. The brake rebuilder quoted me 2-3 weeks for the job (which I thought was a long time, but reasonable since the impression I got over the phone was they were busy). They ended up taking nearly 2 months before I got my parts back, poor communication with the shop, had to call them to get any kind of update. They also didn't use OEM Brembo seals/hardware (I think they used Centric instead). The shop was not clean or organized, the owner/operator seemed unprofessional/sketchy. Not at all what I expected based on reviews or website when I dropped off the parts. Overall, it was not a great experience, but at least the powder coat shop did a good job. I picked up some high-temp vinyl decals to keep them looking original, so far the vinyl decals have been holding up without any issues, and thankfully no leaks from the piston seals or bleeder screws. IF I had to do it over again with a used set today, I would have purchased my own rebuild kit, stripped the calipers down and sent them off for powder coat, then finish the rebuild on my own. I would have saved a lot more cash and time.

Today, I think it would be cheaper (overall when labor is factored in) and worry free, if you purchased refurbished units from Rock Auto, then sent them out for a coating or even DIY-ed your own paint job. The Cardone units are paint stripped OEM Brembo calipers and the price is good. Most powder coating shops have very reasonable prices and quick turnaround. This is probably the best option if you want to avoid the hassle of refurbishing a used set yourself. If you choose to rebuild a used set, you can find rebuild kits from Z1motorsports.com or conceptzperformance.com (CZP) or take the economy route using rockauto.com. I'm not familiar with the brands offering the seal kits or pistons on Rockauto, but I don't think you would have any troubles with them.

Whatever BBK you choose to run with, familiarize yourself with the installation requirements. For the OEM Brembos, you need to trim the rear dust shields and you need different rear caliper mounting bolts (thread pitch is different). I discovered I did not need to trim the front dust shields for the Brembo rotors/calipers (I think because I had the 06+ 2-piston fronts, the single piston years may require trimming), but you absolutely need to trim all of them for the Akebono kit. Brake lines can be another area of concern, but most people upgrade to SS lines as part of the package. There are plenty of choices for SS lines, my personal preference is the Goodridge kit, as it most closely reflects the OEM routing/mounting.

Good Luck!
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 07-06-2023 at 01:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icer5160:
DarkZ03 (07-06-2023), dvd.z33 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 03:13 PM
DarkZ03

Ah, I understand what you were saying now.
That's the reason I hate when people call the factory bakes a BBK because they aren't (most BBKs will have radial calipers and 2pc full floating or semi-floating rotors)
I assume you mean that nobody sells a kit with calipers, rotors and pads?
If that's the case, no, but like Icer said you can get them from Rockauto or Autozone for relatively cheap and paint or powder coat.
Then just get whatever pads and rotors you like.
I hear that Rockauto sells Brembo blanks for relatively cheap if you don't want anything fancy.
Old 07-06-2023 | 03:15 PM
DarkZ03

Originally Posted by icer5160
I picked up a complete set off ebay (used), they actually came off of a G35 Sport, and I thought I was getting a good deal since the seller included slotted Centric rotors. Cosmetically, they were in rough shape, but mechanically I think they would have worked just fine if I slapped them on the car (cylinder dust seals & pistons looked ok). But I wanted them to look new, so I contracted a local brake specialty shop to rebuild them and have them re-powder coated. In hindsight, I should have gone a different route in respect to sourcing the parts and picking the shop. Upon closer inspection of the rotors, I discovered the rear hats had cracks visible from the inside (e-brake area), basically the rotors were unsafe to use and also hinted that the car these came off of was abused. The brake rebuilder quoted me 2-3 weeks for the job (which I thought was a long time, but reasonable since the impression I got over the phone was they were busy). They ended up taking nearly 2 months before I got my parts back, poor communication with the shop, had to call them to get any kind of update. They also didn't use OEM Brembo seals/hardware (I think they used Centric instead). The shop was not clean or organized, the owner/operator seemed unprofessional/sketchy. Not at all what I expected based on reviews or website when I dropped off the parts. Overall, it was not a great experience, but at least the powder coat shop did a good job. I picked up some high-temp vinyl decals to keep them looking original, so far the vinyl decals have been holding up without any issues, and thankfully no leaks from the piston seals or bleeder screws. IF I had to do it over again with a used set today, I would have purchased my own rebuild kit, stripped the calipers down and sent them off for powder coat, then finish the rebuild on my own. I would have saved a lot more cash and time.

Today, I think it would be cheaper (overall when labor is factored in) and worry free, if you purchased refurbished units from Rock Auto, then sent them out for a coating or even DIY-ed your own paint job. The Cardone units are paint stripped OEM Brembo calipers and the price is good. Most powder coating shops have very reasonable prices and quick turnaround. This is probably the best option if you want to avoid the hassle of refurbishing a used set yourself. If you choose to rebuild a used set, you can find rebuild kits from Z1motorsports.com or conceptzperformance.com (CZP) or take the economy route using rockauto.com. I'm not familiar with the brands offering the seal kits or pistons on Rockauto, but I don't think you would have any troubles with them.

Whatever BBK you choose to run with, familiarize yourself with the installation requirements. For the OEM Brembos, you need to trim the rear dust shields and you need different rear caliper mounting bolts (thread pitch is different). I discovered I did not need to trim the front dust shields for the Brembo rotors/calipers (I think because I had the 06+ 2-piston fronts, the single piston years may require trimming), but you absolutely need to trim all of them for the Akebono kit. Brake lines can be another area of concern, but most people upgrade to SS lines as part of the package. There are plenty of choices for SS lines, my personal preference is the Goodridge kit, as it most closely reflects the OEM routing/mounting.

Good Luck!
-Icer
Same, Goodridge Phantom here, had them for a while now and they still look new.
Old 07-06-2023 | 04:16 PM
icer5160

There are alternative kits to the OEM Brembo 4-piston Front and 2-piston rear calipers. Brembo does make a more extreme package for the 350Z (Sport GT I think, front only AFAIK), as does Stoptech, Wilwood, and the Z1 BBK looks to be a re-skinned Akebono G37/370Z Caliper set with the addition of the adapter brackets for mounting up to a 350Z/G35. CZP has a pretty comprehensive list of BBKs for the 350Z with the Wilwood offering being the most affordable when you start talking about 6 piston front and 4 piston rear & two piece rotors. But, unless you're building a track monster or show car, the best all around option, in my humble opinion, are the OEM Brembo calipers. You get improved performance and looks with the best wheel fitment options. The race inspired brake packages get insanely expensive and for a daily driver complete overkill. But ya know..."because race car!"
Cheers!
-Icer
dvd.z33 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023 | 06:02 PM
DarkZ03

@icer5160 that's what I thought he was talking about (Brembo GT BBK) that's why I don't like people calling OEM stuff a BBK lol.
It's unnecessarily confusing, I just couldn't use the Z1 kits, I don't trust them.
That being said, their GTR clone kits are a really good value to those wanting a 6/4 15" kit lol
Old 07-06-2023 | 06:55 PM
icer5160

Wow, I didn't even realize that Z1 offered a GTR Clone kit, but there it is on their website. Yeah, not a bad value when compared to OEM GTR brakes or the Stoptech Trophy line.
Cheers!
-Icer
Old 07-07-2023 | 08:18 AM
mr. sparco

Use the template that MicVelo posted. The GT wheels have a ridge just behind the spokes on the barrels, clearance is slim to none for fronts. Akebono front calipers requires volume and 19s are your best bet. IMO the 14" rotors look so much better than the stock 12.75" Brembos and worth it.
Old 07-07-2023 | 10:27 AM
DarkZ03

Yes, cause cause that extra inch looks so good lol.
JK, but seriously performance > looks, unless you can have both.
I'm not just talking braking performance either, it's proven lighter brakes also lead to better handling.
mr. sparco (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023 | 07:59 AM
mr. sparco

Then stick with DE brakes for -2" of best handling.
Old 07-08-2023 | 09:24 AM
DarkZ03

my brakes aren't nervous, and look better/perform better than all OEM options lol.

Quick Reply: Akebono bbk fitment on 350z v3 nismo wheels