Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Super GT 350z build progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 03:52 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by supergtproject
Easily, you'd more than likely not see very much change in hp with just forged internals, you'll gain a majority of your hp from timing, air restriction reduction such as head porting and fuel supply upgrades. But if you're going to want to run higher compression a variable intake timing setup is necessary. High RPM's are cool and all until you shoot a rod out the side of your block so forged internals is a must, crank too. If you're doing all of this in a full build you might as well stroke it to 4L or 4.2L as well.
yea I agree, anything around the 350-400 whp range is great. I just want a good platform to run on track for a while and not have to worry about heat problems and oil leaks as much as on a turbo build.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:12 PM
supergtproject

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Z in it's previous state was only bolt ons and it made 364 at the wheels
Old 07-26-2023, 05:04 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,346 Posts

My Z in it's previous state was only bolt ons and it made 364 at the wheels
364 wheel with bolt ons.

Not to be a skeptic but that's a pretty far stretch for bolt ons. I've never seen an NA dyno sheet that high. Are you including cams, compression, stroker, Haltech (or other external ECU) as "bolt ons"?
Old 07-26-2023, 05:32 PM
Escobar

surely he meant 264
Old 07-26-2023, 06:22 PM
supergtproject

Originally Posted by MicVelo
364 wheel with bolt ons.

Not to be a skeptic but that's a pretty far stretch for bolt ons. I've never seen an NA dyno sheet that high. Are you including cams, compression, stroker, Haltech (or other external ECU) as "bolt ons"?
Apologies, 364 flywheel. People take these engines for granted, keep in mind they made 287 flywheel from the factory. A refreshed motor full bolt on will easily go north of 320 even if you don't go as far as manifold porting. As far as my engine went it was fairly simple:

Ported lower intake manifold matched with kinetix velocity plenum, 90mm throttle body with a jwt pop charger.
Brain is a haltech 2500 you're right lol
Valve train, stroke, compression are all factory specifications just refreshed/rebuilt by professionals before I threw it back into my dumpster fire of a Z
I wouldn't recommend pushing a factory internal engine past 400 (boosted ofc) or you'll end up with a paper weight.

Originally Posted by Escobar
surely he meant 264
364 Flywheel*
Old 07-26-2023, 06:28 PM
DarkZ03

Received 494 Likes on 414 Posts

yea I agree, anything around the 350-400 whp range is great. I just want a good platform to run on track for a while and not have to worry about heat problems and oil leaks as much as on a turbo build.
Just use a HR engine for that IMO, going to be hard on a DE.
HR with cams, ported intake, LTH, and a nice set of I/E should do it.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:09 AM
supergtproject

I like the DE for my application. The HR might have a stronger and taller block but that also makes it heavier, with me running my car N/A the extra block strength isn't necessary, so the extra weight is unnecessary. The HR has higher compression from the factory which is nice and all but if you're going to be building the engine anyways your compression is irrelevant as you'll make it what you want. What I do like about the HR is the crankshaft support to decrease vibration when at high RPM, you could always fix that problem on a DE with an integrated main cap block brace though.

All in all, it doesn't matter which option you go with if you're doing a complete build on either platform. If you're not going with a full build, it'll be far more beneficial to stick with the HR. Great platform for minimum modification yet higher power gain.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:48 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
364 wheel with bolt ons.
Yea, been around long enough to know that the DE w/o significant modification (higher compression, very aggressive cams, a different intake, open dump exhaust, aggressive tuning, and a 7k / 8k redline) youre not making anything above 270whp

surely he meant 264
I was thinking the same thing …

Apologies, 364 flywheel. People take these engines for granted, keep in mind they made 287 flywheel from the factory. A refreshed motor full bolt on will easily go north of 320 even if you don't go as far as manifold porting. As far as my engine went it was fairly simple:

Ported lower intake manifold matched with kinetix velocity plenum, 90mm throttle body with a jwt pop charger.
Brain is a haltech 2500 you're right lol
Valve train, stroke, compression are all factory specifications just refreshed/rebuilt by professionals before I threw it back into my dumpster fire of a Z
I wouldn't recommend pushing a factory internal engine past 400 (boosted ofc) or you'll end up with a paper weight.

364 Flywheel*
270whp with a 15% drivetrain loss is ~320hp … I could see it
364bhp is 310whp … hmmmmmmm… seems like a favorable dyno and some lofty correction factors … just curious - do you have this in video? Dyno-graph? Details?
Old 07-27-2023, 09:32 AM
supergtproject

364 at the flywheel, depending on the vehicle and what's done to it there could be a 30-90hp drivetrain loss. This car has never seen a full car Dyno, it's been E-Tuned via Z1 in Georgia. Engine was built in my workplace and ran on my workplace's engine Dyno. I'll attach a picture for reference. Where I work everything is done in house such as honing, cnc machining, welding and fabrication, crank balancing, sonic cleaning, injector flowing, etc.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:57 AM
DarkZ03

Received 494 Likes on 414 Posts

Sasha is using an HR BTW, and since it seems like you are going for the same specs you may as well take that into consideration. I believe testing shows that the HR heads in stock form outflow ported DE heads.
Unless you don't care about max power.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:34 AM
supergtproject

I'll have to do research on that, if that's true I'd be more than happy to switch plans. My dreamer goal is 500 all motor (impossible hence why it's a dream) so if I'm doing everything I can to increase flow on DE heads, and I fail to out flow stock HR heads, I'd definitely switch. The GT350 super gt class z33's ran DE engines, but I guess back then the HRs were either in development or not yet released to the public. Believe GT500 series engines were V8's and I'll never go down that road. Just like the GT class cars I'll be attempting to run a ITB setup with a decent size airbox, fed from ducting in the front of the car.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:57 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

and ran on my workplace's engine Dyno.
But no pics / video of it? No print-outs? Hmmmmmm …
Old 07-28-2023, 04:01 AM
supergtproject

So you're that kind of person? For what reason would you want a Dyno sheet other than to gloat.

1. This Dyno setup is built for a commercial setup, not for performance testing there is no "printouts".

You can be a sceptic all you want it doesn't bother me I didn't come here to gloat.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:51 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,108 Likes on 788 Posts

So you're that kind of person? For what reason would you want a Dyno sheet other than to gloat.

1. This Dyno setup is built for a commercial setup, not for performance testing there is no "printouts".

You can be a sceptic all you want it doesn't bother me I didn't come here to gloat.
364hp at the crank translating to 310hp at the wheels on a N/A VQ35DE is hard to believe, if not impossible, especially with an e-tune. Some type of evidence like a graph or printout of the dyno results indicating the correction factor would certainly put all of us in our places.
The following 3 users liked this post by Heel Til I Die:
260DET#2 (02-10-2024), bealljk (07-28-2023), travlee (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 06:27 AM
supergtproject

Leave it up to your own beliefs I don't mind, this thread is for progress on a completely separate project. I don't enjoy repeating myself.

On another note I'm finally making progress on an aftermarket body for the Super GT Z, a company called Sorcery makes a full Dry carbon and Full FRP Super GT style body kit that fairly resembles the real kit. Unfortunately, this kit costs $134,006.40 USD
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 06:36 AM
supergtproject

For the small price of 18,800,000 YEN !!!
bealljk (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 07:52 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Its not about gloating or bragging … 310hp isnt that big of a deal. Its about being able to backup your statements.

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
364hp at the crank translating to 310hp at the wheels on a N/A VQ35DE is hard to believe, if not impossible, especially with an e-tune. Some type of evidence like a graph or printout of the dyno results indicating the correction factor would certainly put all of us in our places.
Well said - exactly what I was thinking… If you told us you made 276whp than I wouldnt care, that’s completely feasible but 364 bhp is unrealistic

‘You can fool some people sometimes, but you cant fool all the people all the time’
’If it sounds too good to be true it probably is’

Been doing something related to a z car for a some time now … so when you make a claim that is that far-fetched, and all you have to show for it is a picture of a engine-brake dyno, I’m gonna call you out.

Do I appologize for withholding the integrity of the platform? Holding members accountable for their statements? Calling out BS?

But keep going - you are a smart guy youre very intelligent (I say that 100% serious) and keep going with your build.

costs $134,006.40 USD
Its only money, right? You can’t take it with you! If you can justify $35k on center locks than $134k on the dry cf body is a no-brainer!

Last edited by bealljk; 07-28-2023 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:57 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,108 Likes on 788 Posts

Leave it up to your own beliefs I don't mind, this thread is for progress on a completely separate project. I don't enjoy repeating myself.
Sure, I totally get that. But credibility follows a person as it relates to other projects or endeavors.

On another note I'm finally making progress on an aftermarket body for the Super GT Z, a company called Sorcery makes a full Dry carbon and Full FRP Super GT style body kit that fairly resembles the real kit. Unfortunately, this kit costs $134,006.40 USD
Better get two of them in case there's damage at the track.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:52 AM
supergtproject

Originally Posted by bealljk
Its not about gloating or bragging … 310hp isnt that big of a deal. Its about being able to backup your statements.

Well said - exactly what I was thinking… If you told us you made 276whp than I wouldnt care, that’s completely feasible but 364 bhp is unrealistic

‘You can fool some people sometimes, but you cant fool all the people all the time’
’If it sounds too good to be true it probably is’

Been doing something related to a z car for a some time now … so when you make a claim that is that far-fetched, and all you have to show for it is a picture of a engine-brake dyno, I’m gonna call you out.

Do I appologize for withholding the integrity of the platform? Holding members accountable for their statements? Calling out BS?

But keep going - you are a smart guy youre very intelligent (I say that 100% serious) and keep going with your build.

Its only money, right? You can’t take it with you! If you can justify $35k on center locks than $134k on the dry cf body is a no-brainer!
As I stated, you're completely fine in thinking those numbers aren't real, it doesn't bother me. I didn't care about what the engine made to begin with I just enjoy tinkering with my cars.

That body kit isn't exactly 1/1 on the Super GT cars so I'll probably just end up buying the pieces which are close enough and running with that, 135k is a lot in comparison to what the last sold legitimate GT 350z sold for (was like 110k I think). But I believe that was a GT300 car and ran a FRP body kit so it might be a decent price. The rear end doesn't exactly resemble the Super GT z33 though, so I'm torn on whether or not it's a viable option. Hopefully they would modify it at my request they haven't responded yet.

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Sure, I totally get that. But credibility follows a person as it relates to other projects or endeavors.

Better get two of them in case there's damage at the track.
When you see the progress of a project, I don't think credibility really matters as there's no denying progress so long as it's showcased. You'll get updates and pictures once progress is made so I think we'll be alright

And I'll more than likely just have the body kit scanned and modeled out on a Cad program so that I can make my own spares if need be. Maybe even sell a few off I don't think I have a legal right to do that though.
bealljk (07-28-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 10:58 AM
Escobar

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Just use a HR engine for that IMO, going to be hard on a DE.
HR with cams, ported intake, LTH, and a nice set of I/E should do it.
Will the DE tranny bolt up to the HR engine? also, whats LTH?

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-30-2023 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Super GT 350z build progress