Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Super GT 350z build progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2023 | 09:34 AM
supergtproject

Default Super GT 350z build progress

Hey, as is was requested of me I'll be creating this thread to document my 350z Project car which is in the end going to be a fully fledged Super GT replica race car. As close to the originals as I can get it. First things first I'll start with my goals and aspirations in this build.

Performance wise I will run a VQ35DE, this VQ will have been sent off to JWT for a complete overhaul.
4.2L
15:1 Compression
Forged internals
Jenevy ITB's
Dry sump oiling system
Etc.

Suspension will be tricky, in order to run the GT500 style body kit I wish to run the entire front and rear end will need to be custom, so until the fabrication of the Roll cage is complete I will need to hold off on thinking about where I will be mounting my control arms, tractions arms, camber arms, etc.

Plan on running a custom Centerlock wheel mount system that I haven't yet had the time to brainstorm.

As for the body kit I am aware the parts are near impossible to find but I'd like to run as many original parts as possible. What I currently have are a set of front fenders and possibly a hatch if the seller will ever message me back.
Figured I could take a scaled down model of the car and render it up to scale to get dimensions but that hasn't been my highest priority as of now.

The super GT cars ran full carbon floors which I'll need to measure out once the car is back from the shop.

As for gutted 350z's you've all probably seen plenty so I'll wait for the car to get back with it's new cage to showcase it's current condition with you. Until then you can look at what it used to sit like when I daily drove it as a teenager.

Attached Files
Old 07-21-2023 | 09:36 AM
supergtproject

Also note that
1) This takes lots of time
2) I have a full time job my time is limited
3) I'm building a 1947 GMC pickup, 1989 R32 GTR, and this Z all at the same time so this might not be my #1 priority atm.
Old 07-21-2023 | 10:08 AM
GreyZ

Looks like there is currently a Z33 GT500 front bumper cover for sale at the moment on yahoo auctions jp.
Old 07-21-2023 | 11:20 AM
supergtproject

That bumper comes up for sale quite often, it never ends up selling no matter how high the bid is unfortunately I've won the bid multiple times now and it's never met a reserve.

*And that is a GT300 non dry carbon bumper, not sure why they made them in frp but I wouldn't be able to use this for anything I believe* Ty though!

Last edited by supergtproject; 07-21-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2023 | 01:01 PM
bre240z

definitely following this
Old 07-21-2023 | 03:34 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

In for results -

Im assuming you’ve familiarized yourself with what Sasha did with his z?
Old 07-21-2023 | 06:15 PM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

In before.. Sasha who
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
bmccann101 (06-18-2024), DarkZ03 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023 | 07:24 PM
GreyZ

I believe he was referencing Sasha Anis, who has the most wild track car build 350z in existance. It was the on point dyno car, but I believe it is with his new company, Mountain Pass Perfomance now.
Old 07-24-2023 | 04:47 AM
Heel Til I Die

Just curious - What is your motivation behind this build and what are your intentions with it once/if completed?
Old 07-24-2023 | 06:09 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by GreyZ
the most wild track car build 350z in existance.
What sorta scares me (not really, I know where this is going) is that Sasha is one of the worlds best VQ tuners, I suspect he has made quite a bit of money from the BP mid-mount kits, he owns a tuning shop with full access to a dyno/engine building equipment/tools/resources/connections to the industry, he tested in wind-tunnel, I believe that block is a 4.2liter as well, ITB, bored/stroked, completely custom cams/valve train.

I believe he is in his 40s? Maybe his 50s? And been doing something automotive related (assumed) for decades.

No one ‘really’ knows what went into that block, how long it lasted, what up-keep it required.

But OP has a vision, he is motivated, he’s got two other project cars, a limited budget, an extreme scarsity of one-off parts, and a no compromise attitude

what other direction could this go? I’m with Trav on this one.
Old 07-24-2023 | 06:38 AM
GreyZ

Originally Posted by bealljk
What sorta scares me (not really, I know where this is going) is that Sasha is one of the worlds best VQ tuners, I suspect he has made quite a bit of money from the BP mid-mount kits, he owns a tuning shop with full access to a dyno/engine building equipment/tools/resources/connections to the industry, he tested in wind-tunnel, I believe that block is a 4.2liter as well, ITB, bored/stroked, completely custom cams/valve train.

I believe he is in his 40s? Maybe his 50s? And been doing something automotive related (assumed) for decades.

No one ‘really’ knows what went into that block, how long it lasted, what up-keep it required.

But OP has a vision, he is motivated, he’s got two other project cars, a limited budget, an extreme scarsity of one-off parts, and a no compromise attitude

Sasha Anis and Sasha Subasic are not the same person. I think this is often not realized. Sasha Anis' story was decently well written about his whole involvment in motorsports from street racing and drifting to his move to Canada and starting On Point and then later Mountain Pass. His motor is also pretty well documented and built by JWT. Its expensive, but the motor itself is just a max effort JWT build. The Motec, hybrid, trans, steering, and aero are the real deep engineering.

The other Sasha, who is behind Boosted Performance is a bit less known from what I can tell.

(I could be wrong about this, but this is my best understanding.)
The following users liked this post:
bmccann101 (06-18-2024)
Old 07-24-2023 | 07:36 AM
mr. sparco

Fairly certain this is the Sasha that used to be on this forum which went from crazy NA tuned DE to presently hybrid. He had shared some wind tunnel testing of his 350z many moons ago. Probably find that video on youtube as well.
bre240z (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023 | 07:47 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by GreyZ
Sasha Anis and Sasha Subasic are not the same person. I think this is often not realized. Sasha Anis' story was decently well written about his whole involvment in motorsports from street racing and drifting to his move to Canada and starting On Point and then later Mountain Pass. His motor is also pretty well documented and built by JWT. Its expensive, but the motor itself is just a max effort JWT build. The Motec, hybrid, trans, steering, and aero are the real deep engineering.

The other Sasha, who is behind Boosted Performance is a bit less known from what I can tell.

(I could be wrong about this, but this is my best understanding.)
I thought they were the same person! Thats on me!
Old 07-24-2023 | 08:35 AM
supergtproject

In for results -

Im assuming you’ve familiarized yourself with what Sasha did with his z?
Only big project Z I've followed is Mountain pass performances.

Originally Posted by travlee
In before.. Sasha who
0_0

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Just curious - What is your motivation behind this build and what are your intentions with it once/if completed?
Grew up watching these cars compete, it'll be my time course car I track my GTR at various events all over Virginia mostly SCCA sponsored. Would love to have a dedicated track car and this will be it.

My budget isn't limited this is going to be a long-term project I won't cheap out on parts to save money, I'm very motivated and have been for some time now I'll get it done you'll only figure that out as progress pics are uploaded.
bealljk (07-24-2023)
Old 07-25-2023 | 08:00 AM
lifekenophobic

In for the updates.
supergtproject (07-26-2023)
Old 07-25-2023 | 03:33 PM
Escobar

cool man! Can you share the details on the engine build as far as cost and estimated numbers? Im looking at options for the track to make my TT car more reliable.
Old 07-26-2023 | 05:51 AM
GreyZ

Originally Posted by Escobar
cool man! Can you share the details on the engine build as far as cost and estimated numbers? Im looking at options for the track to make my TT car more reliable.
J Wheeler is probably the most knowledgable for boosted tracking a VQ. I would reach out to him.
Old 07-26-2023 | 11:17 AM
supergtproject

Originally Posted by Escobar
All in all, the engine is being handed over to the guys over at JWT for its complete overhaul. Not sure whether or not my information will help any as my car will be N/A but as far as engine building goes JWT are the best at what they do with VQ's hit them up they'll give you a build plan!
Old 07-26-2023 | 01:57 PM
Escobar

Originally Posted by supergtproject
All in all, the engine is being handed over to the guys over at JWT for its complete overhaul. Not sure whether or not my information will help any as my car will be N/A but as far as engine building goes JWT are the best at what they do with VQ's hit them up they'll give you a build plan!
thats cool, I do intend to switch to NA, just do a all engine build. Do you think 350 whp is possible from your research?
Old 07-26-2023 | 02:44 PM
supergtproject

Easily, you'd more than likely not see very much change in hp with just forged internals, you'll gain a majority of your hp from timing, air restriction reduction such as head porting and fuel supply upgrades. But if you're going to want to run higher compression a variable intake timing setup is necessary. High RPM's are cool and all until you shoot a rod out the side of your block so forged internals is a must, crank too. If you're doing all of this in a full build you might as well stroke it to 4L or 4.2L as well.

Quick Reply: Super GT 350z build progress