Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Making an Old Z…. Like New Again??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 03:42 PM
Ryan-350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making an Old Z…. Like New Again??!!

Hey guys. Really need your input.

So I have a 2004 350Z Roadster (6 speed) 2nd owner

Car has 71k original miles on it.

Engine and Transmission are healthy.

1st owner kept it in the garage for like 6 years. So it sat dormant for a good minute

I’ve had it for bout a year and a half and I have done all the basic bolt ons. (Intake,Plenum Spacer, Res Test-pipes, Y-pipe, Catback)

But onto my issue…

So even with low mikes it’s still almost 20 years old!

This means the good ole Nissan bushings are on the way out.

However the only ones that have failed completely were the front lower control arm bushings. I have since replaced them.

But I have to consider the fact that more need replacing as well.

The Issue:
My Z just feels kind of sloppy and soft. I guess you could say.
To give an example when I first got it I could chirp 3rd that’s how nice and crisp it was Now I can’t even chirp 2nd. When I shift

So what I’m asking is what is the most IMPORTANT things to replace to get back that crispness without having to change everything.

NOTE: I do not want solid bushings anywhere. Im trying to keep it comfortable.

Here is my plan so far:

I just bought KYB struts to replace factory ones.

I just bought Rear Subframe Bushing Collars

I just bought a Rear Diff Brace

Lastly, just bought a POLY trans mount.

(I was considering changing motor mounts but other than OEM… every one on the market will cause vibration)

So I’m hoping these little updates will be enough to bring it back to life. Without having to tear down the chassis and every bushing and mount.

If anyone has any input to share I would greatly appreciate it. It almost feels like the car is fighting me opposed to feeling good and crisp.

SIDE NOTE: Also my diff bushing is not bad yet. But still original.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help guys.

Hope to be able to enjoy my car again soon.

-Ryan-
Old 08-12-2023, 05:06 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

I'll start by suggesting you change ALL fluids in this ZR with fresh lubricants and coolant. Even with low miles, fluids degrade and begin to breakdown. It may even free up some mechanical operation as well. I prefer Redline MT85 for the tranny and Valvoline synthetic 75W-140 for the differential, along with a full four-wheel flush of all brake fluid lines (and clutch) with something like Motul RBF600 or ATE Type 200 Gold DOT 4.

Also, if the tires are still the original Bridgestones, please consider replacing them. The RE040s were never great tires to start with and are well past their expiration date. There's plenty of modern technology to take advantage of at this stage of the game.

Last edited by dkmura; 08-12-2023 at 08:12 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Also 2 things:
1. That poly trans mount will give you vibrations you said you don't want.
2. Solid bushings do not always mean a stiff ride.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Return the KYBs.

Buy Bilstein
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
DarkZ03 (08-13-2023), EJohn (10-21-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 07:24 AM
Ryan-350Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
I'll start by suggesting you change ALL fluids in this ZR with fresh lubricants and coolant. Even with low miles, fluids degrade and begin to breakdown. It may even free up some mechanical operation as well. I prefer Redline MT85 for the tranny and Valvoline synthetic 75W-140 for the differential, along with a full four-wheel flush of all brake fluid lines (and clutch) with something like Motul RBF600 or ATE Type 200 Gold DOT 4.

Also, if the tires are still the original Bridgestones, please consider replacing them. The RE040s were never great tires to start with and are well past their expiration date. There's plenty of modern technology to take advantage of at this stage of the game.
Thanks for your input. All fluids have been changed except clutch fluid, tranny, and diff. I have heard going with a quality tranny fluid yields some impressive results. But hadn’t even considered diff or clutch. So thank you I will be doing this.

Also yes, I currently have firehawk indy 500 tires on the car with Aodhan wheels. Took a chance with these tires and they have been great for dry summer weather but aren’t worth a damn for wet/snow conditions.

FRONT 19x9.5 255/35/19
REAR 19x11 295/35/19
Old 08-13-2023, 07:26 AM
Ryan-350Z

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Also 2 things:
1. That poly trans mount will give you vibrations you said you don't want.
2. Solid bushings do not always mean a stiff ride.
Hey. Thanks for input. Yes I have heard that poly will still give vibrations. But I also bought a set of GK TECH
trans mount inserts. So if the poly is too harsh. I will use a new OEM trans mount with those inserts.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:30 AM
Ryan-350Z

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Return the KYBs.

Buy Bilstein
Trust Me Sir…. Bilstein was my first choice. I had them on my 300zx and my S2K and they were AMAZING. but they are about $800 for my Z. At that point I might as well save a little more and get some nice coilovers.

But I’m going for comfort so I wanted to keep stock spring rates. And I heard KYB is a good replacement over OEM so I’m giving them a shot.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Ryan-350Z
Trust Me Sir…. Bilstein was my first choice. I had them on my 300zx and my S2K and they were AMAZING. but they are about $800 for my Z. At that point I might as well save a little more and get some nice coilovers.

But I’m going for comfort so I wanted to keep stock spring rates. And I heard KYB is a good replacement over OEM so I’m giving them a shot.
You heard wrong. Worst shocks ever made. Great marketing but the shocks are junk. Don't ask me how I know, I've already had a bad enough week. But your choice. And, "a lttle more for 'nice' coilovers?", I'd say to get a good set, at least 1.5x-2x more. There's tons of cheap coilovers out there and like KYB, YGWYPF.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:53 AM
Ryan-350Z

You heard wrong. Worst shocks ever made. Great marketing but the shocks are junk. Don't ask me how I know, I've already had a bad enough week. But your choice. And, "a lttle more for 'nice' coilovers?", I'd say to get a good set, at least 1.5x-2x more. There's tons of cheap coilovers out there and like KYB, YGWYPF.
Jeez. You’re making me regret my purchase sir. Lol
well maybe I’ll def wait to put them on.

and yes of course a good set of coilovers would like 2-3 grand. I think the KW clubsports are like $3k
But I was referring to like a set of BC’s I believe the BR type are around $1200

Anyway. Other than KYB or Bilstein do you have any other recommendations? Maybe Koni’s?
Old 08-13-2023, 09:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm a fan of Koni 8241 sport shocks. Had them on my '03 track model for 18 years and love 'em..
The following users liked this post:
Ryan-350Z (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 09:52 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan-350Z
Jeez. You’re making me regret my purchase sir. Lol
well maybe I’ll def wait to put them on.

and yes of course a good set of coilovers would like 2-3 grand. I think the KW clubsports are like $3k
But I was referring to like a set of BC’s I believe the BR type are around $1200

Anyway. Other than KYB or Bilstein do you have any other recommendations? Maybe Koni’s?
KYBs are perfectly fine for stock setup with stock or even mild drop springs with similar to OEM spring rates. KYB is an OEM supplier of suspension components to many manufacturers:Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chrysler, GM, Lexus, and many more. My Evo X GSR came with KYBs from the factory while the MR comes with Bilsteins. MicV is a wealth of knowledge and experience but can be off his meds at times or due to some loss of neuroplasticity which we all suffer from with time, forgets that one negative experience does not equate to all examples. Bilsteins are better for performance but KYB is great for daily comfort.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:27 AM
Ryan-350Z

I'm a fan of Koni 8241 sport shocks. Had them on my '03 track model for 18 years and love 'em..
Thank you for your input man. I actually was looking at those exact ones cuz they only like $100 more for the set than the KYB’s.

And holy sh** 18 years?! That’s quality.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:38 AM
Ryan-350Z

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
KYBs are perfectly fine for stock setup with stock or even mild drop springs with similar to OEM spring rates. KYB is an OEM supplier of suspension components to many manufacturers:Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chrysler, GM, Lexus, and many more. My Evo X GSR came with KYBs from the factory while the MR comes with Bilsteins. MicV is a wealth of knowledge and experience but can be off his meds at times or due to some loss of neuroplasticity which we all suffer from with time, forgets that one negative experience does not equate to all examples. Bilsteins are better for performance but KYB is great for daily comfort.
Haha thank you for your input. I mean that’s what I figured. I really am just trying to refresh the OEM set up. But I figured most replacement OEM struts aren’t as good as the Nissan ones. So why not go one step up and get something a little better.

Sure if I was getting lowering springs too… I would probably go with something more high quality. But I’m literally just reusing the OEM springs.

Plus I do not want to change the height.

Old 08-13-2023, 11:48 AM
Ryan-350Z

So other than the struts… lol

anyone have any recommendations?

do you think the subframe collars and diff brace will give me back some rigidity?

any other updates I should be making?

thank you again for all your input guys.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:55 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

I'd go ahead and replace the diff bushings. OEM will go out eventually. Recommend Whiteline. That will give you your 3rd gear chirp again.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

That's all fine guys. Like I said, YGWYPF. If you aren't comparing KYBs to anyrhing but stock, their lack of real jounce control and denigration of ride comfort may not be noticed.

i also have contemporary experience with them. We replaced a set of "Excel G" models on a customer car for stocks and customer was very happy getting rid of the KYBs.

As far as "off my meds", yup. After the week I had losing a condo in Lahaina and an unrelated death, ehhhh.

Old 08-13-2023, 07:41 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Sorry for your loss.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

That's all fine guys. Like I said, YGWYPF. If you aren't comparing KYBs to anyrhing but stock, their lack of real jounce control and denigration of ride comfort may not be noticed.

i also have contemporary experience with them. We replaced a set of "Excel G" models on a customer car for stocks and customer was very happy getting rid of the KYBs.

As far as "off my meds", yup. After the week I had losing a condo in Lahaina and an unrelated death, ehhhh.
OMG, so sorry to hear this Mic! We lost a deal to move into a new home here in Denver, but that's nothing to compare to the terrible fires that swept through Maui. Even worse was the death of a friend- my condolences.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:09 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Condolences.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:54 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Condolences.
OMG, so sorry to hear this Mic! We lost a deal to move into a new home here in Denver, but that's nothing to compare to the terrible fires that swept through Maui. Even worse was the death of a friend- my condolences.
Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Sorry for your loss.
Thanks guys, appreciate it. But this was not to garner any sympathy (as everyone already pities being me, LAFF), just to explain why I was being so ascerebic about the shocks that I can't stand. HAHA! I'll post a thread in the lounge at some point. The key point is all of us (family and friends on Maui) are all fine. We've all suffered some losses but hey, structures will be rebuilt. Not so the lives of those who lost people and livelihoods.

Now, back to the thread!!

Quick Reply: Making an Old Z…. Like New Again??!!