Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Vq35de sputters at idle - sputters at top end

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 09:54 AM
Velocity.imgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vq35de sputters at idle - sputters at top end

So I have been chasing this sputtering issue for a while now. I’m going to make this short sweet and to the point so please pay attention as I am very frustrated and would like to fix this issue without dumping a lot of money into unnecessary parts.

ENGINE HAS 52K Miles

at idle the car likes to sputter please review the video within the link attached. When I’m on throttle at top end passed 4000 rpm’s it would sputter and begin to lose power but not stall the car.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ceu...w?usp=drivesdk

I thought it was due to a vacuum leak which I heard. I fixed the leak and no changes. I also noticed that my injector O-rings were shot and the bolts on the rail (front 2) were backed out. Probably why my o-rings were ****. So I fixed that …. No change

So far what I have replaced
- spark pulgs… yes I gapped them correctly I double checked
- cylinder 5 injector
- cylinder 5 coil pack (fixed another issue I had)

please help me I’m a little lost. Keep your bs comments to yourself.

Last edited by Velocity.imgs; 09-26-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Have you tried to diagnose the issue
The following users liked this post:
travlee (09-26-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 01:11 PM
Velocity.imgs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Si-...w?usp=drivesdk

here is another video of inside the car at WOT
Old 09-26-2023, 02:16 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity.imgs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Si-...w?usp=drivesdk

here is another video of inside the car at WOT
Not what he asked
The following users liked this post:
iideadeyeii (09-28-2023)
Old 09-26-2023, 11:15 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

Modern spark plugs such as Iridium or Platinum should not be "gapped" by hand. You can use the gauge tool to check the gap, but do not attempt to modify it, this will result in damage to the electrode tip and ruin the plug. You could cause more ignition problems without even knowing it.

What codes have you pulled? Sounds like you focused on cylinder 5 for a reason. This could be a classic case of failing cam sensors and/or crank sensor, but it is unusual for these to show problems at such low mileage. You would need advanced electrical diag tools (live sample data) to confirm if a cam or the crank sensor is at fault. Always use OEM ignition system sensors for these cars.
Good Luck!
-Icer

Old 09-27-2023, 04:04 AM
Velocity.imgs

Originally Posted by icer5160
Modern spark plugs such as Iridium or Platinum should not be "gapped" by hand. You can use the gauge tool to check the gap, but do not attempt to modify it, this will result in damage to the electrode tip and ruin the plug. You could cause more ignition problems without even knowing it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/t8S_xEa20qg?feature=shared

What codes have you pulled? Sounds like you focused on cylinder 5 for a reason. This could be a classic case of failing cam sensors and/or crank sensor, but it is unusual for these to show problems at such low mileage. You would need advanced electrical diag tools (live sample data) to confirm if a cam or the crank sensor is at fault. Always use OEM ignition system sensors for these cars.
Good Luck!
-Icer

Thank you for the write up.

plugs gapped correctly and gapped with a tool yes.

no CEL so no codes can be pulled.

I did however pull a coil pack on cyl 3 same bank as 5 but has nothing to do with 5 since I gave it a new coil pack and that Subaru boxer sound went away and ran way smoother. But anyways pulled 3 and saw that the electrode was corroded. I sprayed some contact cleaner on it let it soak a little and tried to clean with a rag but seems to be really on there’s (please view attached photo)

Cyl 3 Coilpack

I didn’t have anything that can really clean it like a brush but today at my shop I’ll try a little harder to clean it and see if it makes a difference. My coil boot (boot itself - not the coil) looked to be in good condition. The coil seemed to show signs of corrosion but not as bad. I’m thinking I clean the coil pack and buy a new boot with a new coil