Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

need help looking at a 2003 350z to buy right now..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 11:42 PM
cluti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help looking at a 2003 350z to buy right now..

owner asking 7k usd obo (100k mileage) . what i have learned so far from asking and pictures, the car was apparently sitting for months so the guy is getting a battery before i come and look at it this week, also its going to need new tires and will have to be towed up cause its an hour and a half drive, but i will be able to test it out there just not safe for interstate. also the car will need to be realigned as it veers to the right some when driven and raised a bit because it was a bit too low he said and the sides came off. only light is the VDC because the fuse is blown out (traction control), the alleged bonuses: it has a nice exhaust, slotted rotors, comes with tein coilovers (the rears are already installed) and some other parts an kits for it. owner also told me he was ontop of oil changes etc.what i listed is the only major known mods i was told of, so most of the rest of it is stock including the transmission and clutch so probably will need a new one.
any advice appreciated I was warned about a few things from a friend but any knowledge helps
some recent pics:

Old 10-21-2023, 06:02 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Welcome- this Z33 Touring mode needs quite a bit of work. I'll suggest having a PDI done by a knowledgeable mechanic before you put down any money at all. It may cost $200-300 for a local tech to go through and provide a written assessment, but it's the only way to know what you're buying. I'd say this Z is likely worth thousands less than the asking price when you know what it will cost to resurrect it.
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 07:32 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

100k miles isnt bad but the car does look rough.

I think one of the worst things you can do is let the car sit outside.

With that being said - DK hit it on the head with a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified mechanic.

This car may be A-ok and just needs some TLC to get it respectable or it could be a complete train-wreck.

I forget the who said it but it was to the effect of ‘how you do one thing is how you do everything’ … and if that holds true on this setup I would not purchase it.

$7k seems really high for something in this condition. If it was me - this is a $3500 to $4000 based on what it needs (if I were to buy it locally in Colorado). Seller isnt goint to go that low so I would probably pass.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Aeneas137 (10-21-2023), oldfreakingguy (10-22-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 08:33 PM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

it's not worth the headache. it's not sorted. The seller is being lazy. If they were serious about selling, they would prepare it for sale. this is an easy pass. no brainer.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:58 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,296 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
it's not worth the headache. it's not sorted. The seller is being lazy. If they were serious about selling, they would prepare it for sale. this is an easy pass. no brainer.
Thats a good point … this car screams unmotivated seller and unmotivated owner.
Old 10-22-2023, 12:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Thats a good point … this car screams unmotivated seller and unmotivated owner.
Who def overvalued what he has.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:22 AM
cluti

ya appreciate the responses and some good points, ill be checking it out today he did put a battery in and the cold start didnt sound bad, also it only sat for 2 months*

another thing to note its so hard finding one of these that isnt a total beater in my area lol, im going from a rx7 fc to this so im used to taking care of a bit older cars but if its more needed than worth i wont get it

Last edited by cluti; 10-22-2023 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 06:21 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Let us know what you decide.

Z cars are usually a source of pride for their owners and there are better ones for sale out there. Since you're in Tennessee (Nashville is Nissan HQ),there's sure to be some good examples for sale in your state.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:50 AM
Jakinko
Banned

Originally Posted by cluti
owner asking 7k usd obo (100k mileage) . what i have learned so far from asking and pictures, the car was apparently sitting for months so the guy is getting a battery before i come and look at it this week, also its going to need new tires and will have to be towed up cause its an hour and a half drive, but i will be able to test it out there just not safe for interstate. also the car will need to be realigned as it veers to the right some when driven and raised a bit because it was a bit too low he said and the sides came off. only light is the VDC because the fuse is blown out (traction control), the alleged bonuses: it has a nice exhaust, slotted rotors, comes with tein coilovers (the rears are already installed) and some other parts an kits for it. owner also told me he was ontop of oil changes etc.what i listed is the only major known mods i was told of, so most of the rest of it is stock including the transmission and clutch so probably will need a new one.
any advice appreciated I was warned about a few things from a friend but any knowledge helps
some recent pics:

The landscape of vehicle inspections has transformed, and I am excited to share my discovery of an online platform that is leading the charge. This cutting-edge https://carcheck123.com/car-history-check website has redefined the car inspection process, offering an array of tools and information to assist potential buyers. From checking maintenance records to assessing the vehicle's overall condition, this resource enables users to conduct comprehensive inspections from the convenience of their homes.

Thanks for dropping it off, it really helped me.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:22 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Ez pass
Old 10-23-2023, 02:32 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

This Z is mega cringe to look at. Right off the bat I can see an ill-fitted front clip/bumper, some evidence of accident damage on the fenders. That or possibly the vehicle was stanced beyond what it could handle on the street, resulting in serious body panel damage (seems to be true based on seller's statements). The interior is very rough, I see missing components on the passenger door, and what appears to be rust staining in the driver's seat side pocket. Rust would indicate the vehicle was parked outside with the windows rolled down in the rain (not a good sign).

Otherwise, aftermarket hood, wrapped or aftermarket rear hatch. Wrapped or spray painted door handles. Missing side skirts (already noted). Missing front tower bar. Aftermarket radiator cap & fastener caps for the radiator also missing from the core support, so I suspect aftermarket radiator installed (possibly from front end collision repair). Aftermarket gauge cluster display, which means someone took it apart and could have easily damaged things. Aftermarket intake with a pod filter that looks like it has never been cleaned/oiled. Aftermarket stereo, and aftermarket wheels. Nothing wrong with a lot of the aftermarket stuff, but understand these things don't add value to the car, in most cases they detract from the value.

I wouldn't even spend the money for a pre-purchase inspection. I would simply pass. This Z is not worth 7k. It needs a lot of love to make it presentable. Based on the condition of the vehicle in the pictures, I would wager the owner cared more about looks and less about maintenance. Maintenance being something "the cool kids" today don't seem to realize cars need.

If you really want a 350Z, don't go for the 03 unless you're severely budget capped. Look for an 04 or 05 or skip to 07-08. What is your budget? Decent Zs can be found for reasonable prices. I say avoid 03s due to their known manual transmission issues, but if you got the time, money, and skill, this can be remedied. Ok, that's my 2c.
Good Luck!
-Icer

MicVelo (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 03:30 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Icer has the most complete analysis of this car.

I sold my '03 (not a desperation sale), stock drivetrain, never wrecked nor abused, full suspension, real wheels, name tires, etc. for $10k'ish and the new owner appreciated the full records. Why tell you this? There's a lot of neglected junk out there but there are good ones if you can save a little more money and wait for "the one".
icer5160 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 06:05 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

Those pictures indicating the condition of this Z makes it impossible to believe he was "on top of oil changes" and other common maintenance items. That thing looks beat to hell. VDC light is on because a ten cent fuse is blown? Yuh, ok...
Old 10-24-2023, 11:41 AM
KuyaEasy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
EXACTLY. If you're going to spend $2-3k just to get it in tip top shape, might as well spend that extra $ and buy a well maintained Z even if it has higher miles. Who knows what else is wrong with that car that's not being disclosed.