2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help: Weldina S-tune Nismo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 09:13 PM
NismoEagleRock

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help: Weldina S-tune Nismo exhaust

Hi my350z.com,

Haven't posted in a while but need your help. Got lucky and snagged a good condition S-tune exhaust recently. I have wanted one since buying the car new but always hesitated. Anyway, the exhaust came with the mid pipe with the resonator removed (cut and welded exhaust pipe straight through) and muffler. Had the following questions:

-It did not come with gaskets. What do I need? I see that z1 carries some gaskets but what do I need for this application? I think the stock o-ring between the muffler and mid pipe will fit? What size flange gasket will I need from y-pipe to mid pipe?

-I am 100% stock. Any issues running without a resonator and also without the Nismo y-pipe?

-I've read the mid pipe and muffler will bolt on to stock DE y-pipe. Can anyone confirm please?

-Can anyone confirm that this application will not cause cat cracking? I had read about the Nismo system causing cracking on cars running test pipes. I will be virtually stock except nismo y-pipe and Nismo muffler

Thank you all in advance.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoEagleRock
Hi my350z.com,

Haven't posted in a while but need your help. Got lucky and snagged a good condition S-tune exhaust recently. I have wanted one since buying the car new but always hesitated. Anyway, the exhaust came with the mid pipe with the resonator removed (cut and welded exhaust pipe straight through) and muffler. Had the following questions:

-It did not come with gaskets. What do I need? I see that z1 carries some gaskets but what do I need for this application? I think the stock o-ring between the muffler and mid pipe will fit? What size flange gasket will I need from y-pipe to mid pipe?

-I am 100% stock. Any issues running without a resonator and also without the Nismo y-pipe?

-I've read the mid pipe and muffler will bolt on to stock DE y-pipe. Can anyone confirm please?

-Can anyone confirm that this application will not cause cat cracking? I had read about the Nismo system causing cracking on cars running test pipes. I will be virtually stock except nismo y-pipe and Nismo muffler

Thank you all in advance.
Can't recall the PN of Y-pipe flange gasket but what I ended up doing was making a cardboard template and going to my local auto parts store and they let me go through the flange gasket bin and I found one that fit perfectly - bought several of them to give to buyers when I sold the exhaust systems. (I've had four of them, two installed (diff 33s of course), sold one and one I gave to the buyer of my Z33 Niz. Actually five if you count the S-Tune on my Z34N. )

I've heard those rumors about the broken pipes as well but I had mine on two cars with not a single issue with the cats in 10 years. Test pipes, no clue. (Don't believe in 'em.) And I doubt you're going to have any issues anyways since you're hooking up to the stock Y-pipe and if anything is going to affect the pipes/cats, it's going to the Y, not the aft pipes.

Don't expect much gain from the mid/rear setup. 90% of the few ponies gained with an S-Tune come from the Y-pipe despite the larger pipe size.

EDIT: thread reminded me that I had a couple exhaust gaskets in my spare parts bin. Wrong ones for the Y-pipe outlet though...these were for the cats-to-Y. Thought I might be able to help. Nope, sorry.

Last edited by MicVelo; 02-26-2024 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:45 PM
NismoEagleRock

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info @MicVelo. I'll probably follow suit and trace/cut out the shape and try to find a gasket that fits. Any chance you might happen to remember which parts store it was which you found the gasket at?
Old 02-27-2024, 06:58 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoEagleRock
Thanks for the info @MicVelo. I'll probably follow suit and trace/cut out the shape and try to find a gasket that fits. Any chance you might happen to remember which parts store it was which you found the gasket at?
No prob. The store I go to here in San Jose was a privateer but has since been taken over by Napa. Same people, different products. Most any parts store can probably help you. They may not let you behind the counter but worth a try or they can match one up for you.