2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Key not programming after replacing bdm

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 01:49 PM
elliot.hudson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key not programming after replacing bdm

Hey all,
just replaced the BCM in my 350z now i need to reprogram my key to work with the new one, i couldn’t get it to program with my old key so i bought a blank one but i’m still having the same problem, Now, the instructions told me to get in the car, shut both doors and press the power lock switch on the drivers side. When I did that, the passenger side door locked but not the drivers side, is that normal?

So after that happened I manually pressed the drivers door lock in as the passenger side door was already locked. I then went ahead and put the key in the ignition cylinder 6 times and on the 6th time both doors unlocked but did not see no hazard lights come on. I tried multiple times with more than 6 times also without no luck
Old 07-17-2024, 10:25 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

If you replaced the BCM, you also need to have it paired with the PCM/ECM and program the VIN number. Was the replacement BCM a blank module or did you get it used from a wrecker/recycler/dismantler? If you have a blank, then you will need someone with access to Nissan firmware files and Consult III Plus or equivalent.

In short, your other modules on the canbus look at this new BCM as a foreign object and therefore will not communicate with it. The NATS is also probably activating. The same type of scenario will occur if you swap PCM/ECMs. These modules need to be paired with each other over the canbus and to my knowledge, the only proper way to achieve this is with a bi-directional scanner that's compatible with Nissan. The best option would be to use Consult III Plus or better. If you try to skip this step, you won't be able to start the vehicle. I've never heard of a procedure for programming the ignition key without a bi-directional diagnostic/scanner tool. Sure you can program a new/blank keyfob without a computer, but not the physical key. Step one is to get it cut, step two is to pair the transponder chip with the Ignition system which on 350Zs is tied into the BCM and NATS.

Good Luck!
-Icer