Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Remote lock/unlock not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 06:08 AM
Laiiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote lock/unlock not working

Hello to all,

I've just bought a 350z 04', the VQ35DE non rev-up 280hp version. I'm happy that almost everything works fine but the remote control. I'm trying to figure out what is happening but everything I tried has not worked so far. Here's what I've checked:
-Power lock works properly, since you can lock/unlock the car by turning the key in the door lock.
-Battery of the key fob is the right model and it's new, so it can't be out of battery.
-Re-programming the key is not working. I've tried all the ways I've fount in the internet, the car doesn't do anything no matter how much times or how fast you put and remove the key from the ingition lock.
-Since re-programming dont work, I was thinking of a broken key switch. But the switch must be fine since when I remove the key from the ignition lock the interior lights are turned on.
-I've checked all the fuses from the interior fuse box, the one above the BCM. They were all fine.

With that, I'm thinking that it might be a faulty BCM and replacing it may solve the problem.

What do you think? You think that I should check anything else before changing BCM? Do you think changing the BCM will solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Laiiser
Old 06-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Oz_350Z_2007

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Laiiser
Hello to all,

I've just bought a 350z 04', the VQ35DE non rev-up 280hp version. I'm happy that almost everything works fine but the remote control. I'm trying to figure out what is happening but everything I tried has not worked so far. Here's what I've checked:
-Power lock works properly, since you can lock/unlock the car by turning the key in the door lock.
-Battery of the key fob is the right model and it's new, so it can't be out of battery.
-Re-programming the key is not working. I've tried all the ways I've fount in the internet, the car doesn't do anything no matter how much times or how fast you put and remove the key from the ingition lock.
-Since re-programming dont work, I was thinking of a broken key switch. But the switch must be fine since when I remove the key from the ignition lock the interior lights are turned on.
-I've checked all the fuses from the interior fuse box, the one above the BCM. They were all fine.

With that, I'm thinking that it might be a faulty BCM and replacing it may solve the problem.

What do you think? You think that I should check anything else before changing BCM? Do you think changing the BCM will solve the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Laiiser
Before going down the rabbit hole chasing exotic solutions, consider you may just have a dead remote not transmitting. I have just gone through this same situation myself. The previous owner handed me 2 original and 1 brand new key fob. I tried the procedure below many times before considering things like ignition switch or BCM. Thankfully got some great advice to bite the bullet and locate a locksmith. Turned out I was using the correct procedure, but the 2 original remotes weren't transmitting at all and the brand new key fob previous owner bought was the wrong frequency (needed to be 433Mhz for my 2007 Aust 350Z - but you should double check for US spec). Once I had an OEM compatible remote bought from a local locksmith/key cutter (MUCH cheaper than buying from Nissan), this is the procedure that worked for my Z:

1. Sit in driver's seat with doors and windows closed.
2. Lock driver's door with door lock switch.
3. Insert and remove key 6 times within 10 seconds.
4. Doors should unlock (hazard lights may or may not flash).
5. Within 2 seconds, turn key to 'Accessories' and lock driver's door using electronic door switch (I had to use the lever button on the door handle as using the pushbutton switch on the armrest didn't work).
6. Press unlock button on new remote, doors should unlock and hazard lights flash to confirm successful registration.
7 To add additional or existing remotes, immediately lock driver's door again using the door switch before pressing the 2nd remote unlock button.
8. Remove key, open and close drivers door and try new remotes.
If doors do not unlock after doing the 6 key action, open drivers door, close and start again.

Last edited by Oz_350Z_2007; 06-21-2024 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (06-22-2024)